7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2014 8:19 AM by gdurniak

Hosted database growing abnormal

schiang

Hi

The dataabse size, 2.2GB. that's far beyong my expectation. So I downloaded and checked the file, and found:

#1. I deleted all records for each table. The size dropped to 1.3GB (checked global container fields as well);

#2. I used Filemaker Pro Advanced, V13 to recover the file, and I found a big chunk of recovered library table created. the size dropped to

~9MB after I deleted the recovered library table.

#3. the recovered summary , looks just fine. I don't see any abnormal. See attached.

Few more info:

1. As I know, I haven't seen any crash of this dataabse.

2. It's quick often that I upload/delete files into/out the containers.

PS: kind wondering whether the deleted files( from containers), were actually still within the database since it is still hosted,

and ..... that's why I see the big chunk of recovered library database.....just guessing.

Host Server: Filemaker Server Ver12

Any comments , Thanks in advance.

Steven

• 1. Re: Hosted database growing abnormal
          mbraendle

Deleting records doesn't normally remove the file block space allocated for them when the records were created.

To recover space, you should open the non-hosted file in FileMaker Pro Advanced and save it again, using menu File > Save a Copy As ...

and specify Type: compacted copy (smaller) in the file save dialog. This compacts the data so that less file block are used and removes empty blocks. It may take a while depending on file size and complexity.

• 2. Re: Hosted database growing abnormal
            wimdecorte

Do you use a lot of non-native graphics on your layouts (jpg, png,...)?

Under the hood FM stores those in a library and in your case it looks like it got corrupted.

• 3. Re: Hosted database growing abnormal
              schiang

Thanks for your input. it works.

During the testing, I also found:

Size A( Save As compacted-> remove admin account)=Size B (just directly remove admin account).

"Remove admin account", it seems as well "doing compacting" process.

Previously I always wondering why "admin" took so much space........

• 4. Re: Hosted database growing abnormal
                schiang

in my solutionon, not really using a lot of jpg& png.

in this case, it seems "dummy block space" issue.

Thanks for inupts.

Steven

• 5. Re: Hosted database growing abnormal
                  gdurniak

Recover has a clean-up step, that detects "stranded" ( no longer referenced ) library data, and creates a new table, with one container field

Libraries contain the items stored in container fields such as graphics, Word documents, or other FileMaker Pro files. There is also a library for the file that contains any graphics stored on the layouts ( and some that may no longer be in use )

greg

> the size dropped to ~ 9MB after I deleted the recovered library table

• 6. Re: Hosted database growing abnormal
                    mikebeargie

If you're making a lot of container transactions and your container content is stored inside of your database, you're probably fragmenting blocks inside of your database similar to how hard drives become fragmented from thousands of read/write/modify actions with files (HDD defragmenting always regains some "space" back, I used to use an awesome program called Auslogics Disk Defrag when I worked in IT).

The "Save as Compacted Copy" is FileMaker's "defrag" operation, but it can only be performed on offline files. Depending on how often you anticipate the need to "compact", it might be better to save your container content outside of filemaker. You can avoid the fragmentation by storing container data externally, rather than in your file. This has become increasingly easy to do with later versions of FM. Maybe this is something for you to play around with in a test copy of the file.

• 7. Re: Hosted database growing abnormal
                      gdurniak

yes, but that's not really the problem here

these are left over images,  in the Library,  that you can not otherwise delete

greg

> it might be better to save your container content outside of filemaker