5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2014 10:59 AM by MallieWilliams

Creating a drop down navigation menu.

MallieWilliams

Hello all. is it possible to a drop down menu that comes down and you can click one on the menu drop down that will run a script that I can attached to it? I need it to look like the example needed file.

• 1. Re: Creating a drop down navigation menu.
          taylorsharpe

I assume the default drop down layout menu item in the inspector was not good enough for your needs.  CNS Menu has a plugin that gives you a lot more choices in such things if you want.  You can always do a popover below an item with a virtual list that you could make look a lot prettier.  And you can always do things in a web portal with full javascript control and buttons to fire off a FileMaker script.  I guess it depends on how complicated you want to get and if you want to spend a lot of development time.  I often just use popovers for such things with a virtual list that is generated upon its opening. 

• 2. Re: Creating a drop down navigation menu.
            mikebeargie

You can either use a popover with buttons inside of it (more control over styling), or use a global text field dropdown with an OnObjectModify script trigger to handle your navigation.

I usually keep a "master navigation" script that I can throw a parameter to (eg "invoices | list | nosort" ) and script accordingly.

If you need it to look like your screenshot, definitely would consider buttons inside of a popover. Might be tough to match the style exactly, but it's much harder to get a row style in a dropdown text field.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Creating a drop down navigation menu.

Hi Mallee,

Well before we got Popovers in V 13, I rolled my own version of what you are wanting. It was hard coded from Script Parameters for each button. It works well and is easily copied to any new layout but was very time consuming to set up, and is even worse to modify when extra layouts are desired in any drop down list and then replicated throughout the solution.

The suggestions you've already had, especially if you can assemble the list dynamically, and load it into a Popover button will be much better than mine.

Let me know back channel should you want the Chapter & Verse of how I did it.

Regards,

John

Drop Down.png

• 4. Re: Creating a drop down navigation menu.
                intex

just as an impression how things can look like with popovers and dropdown lists

popover.png

dropdownlist.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Creating a drop down navigation menu.
                  MallieWilliams

Hey guys..used the popover feature and it works great.. Thanks!