6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 6:55 PM by keywords

PDF printing from Container field

user10625

Hello,

--On Windows 7, FM 13

--layout with Container field set to "Optimize for Interactive Content (PDF, etc.)"

--insert a PDF

--when we mouse over the PDF we can page through it, etc. Great!

--we can also click on a Print button in there (within the container field, there are an array of Adobe functions we can use.)

When we do so, a print dialogue for Adobe comes up, and, trying to go ahead and print, many of our users experience this:

--a message that adobe has crashed (followed by emptiness in the container field) OR

--none of the buttons in the Adobe print dialogue you need to actually remove the FMP window with the container field, or go to another layout, and then the Adobe print dialogue works.

We have noted that downgrading the copy of Adobe on the particular computer sometimes fixes the issue.

Questions:

1) Isn't FMP's PDF handler baked in? I know it's licensed from Adobe, but it's in the FM application, right?

2) If so, why are outside apps affecting this at all? Why are we getting messages that some app has crashed when that app is not part of FM?

Thanks,

Christopher Bailey

• 1. Re: PDF printing from Container field
          keywords

I doubt if FileMaker is the issue here. I suspect you have a conflicting or corrupt Acrobat issue on your computer. When I replicate what you describe, the print button (which, if the button is not showing, can also be accessed by right clicking on the container field) opens a print dialog window which is identical to the one that opens if I print direct from Acrobat. One thing you could check is to make sure your system prefs are set to open PDFs with the right version of Acrobat (I'm not sure how you do this in Windows). You might also try opening a PDF directly (i.e. not via FM) in all versions you have to see if one of them is causing problems. I guess you could also try deleting FM preferences in case there is anything there that is causing the issue, but if I were you I'd be checking beyond FM first.

• 2. Re: PDF printing from Container field
            user10625

OK, so it sounds like the answer to my question "Isn't FMP's PDF handler baked in?"  is "no."  

> >  I doubt if FileMaker is the issue here. I suspect you have a conflicting or corrupt Acrobat issue on

> >your computer.

This isn't just one computer . . one by one, computers in a client's office catch this "bug". 

>> When I replicate what you describe, the print button (which, if the button is not showing, can also be >>accessed by right clicking on the container field) opens a print dialog window which is identical to the >>one that opens if I print direct from Acrobat

The window does open just fine. . . it's just that no buttons work inside it, until I close the FMP window behind it.

• 3. Re: PDF printing from Container field
              keywords

I'm not clear what you mean by "the FMP window behind it". The buttons I see are actually a floating Acrobat toolbar within the window/field itself (see screenshot). Is that what you are refrring to or do you see something else?

Screen Shot 2014-12-13 at 11.53.36 am.png

You can click on the right hand Acrobat symbol which is "Show Acrobat toolbar" to dismiss this floating toolbar and reveal Acrobat tools at top and left of the window.

• 4. Re: PDF printing from Container field
                user10625

Yes,   I get all of that.

Then I click the print button.  Now there are 2 windows on the screen: 

1) the Acrobat print dialogue window.  (which is not modal, so I can click behind it.)

2) the FMP window/layout with the container field.

The weird behavior I see is that no buttons on the print dialogue work, until I dismiess the FMP layout  window behind it (or change to another layout.)

--

Chris

• 5. Re: PDF printing from Container field
                  user19752

I also have this problem. After minimizing FM window I can manipulate Reader's print dialogue.

There may be some condition to occur this, since such a easy bug was not fixed before release.

Or, this is embedded Adobe Reader's behaviour and FM can't control it, need thinking about bandle another PDF browser.

• 6. Re: PDF printing from Container field
                    keywords

Ah!  "the Acrobat print dialogue window.  (which is not modal, so I can click behind it.)"  That is different from what I see (I am using a Mac). From FM's point of view the Acrobat window IS modal; I can drag it and move it around, but I cannot click back the FM window while the Acrobat window is open.