11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 5:53 PM by wimdecorte

Importing multiple tables into a clone

bkolb

I have a FileMaker version 11 server and users have been telling me for weeks that things are really slow. Nothing on the actual server seems slow, but clicking between layouts for users can take over a minute to move to the requested layout. I called FileMaker support and was told it's likely corruption and they pointed me to this article on how to fix things:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1580/kw/1580

Where I am having problems is with one of my layouts. It displays data from several tables. (see attached image. Most of the layout displays data from the LORDER_ table while the pink circled part pulls from a 2nd table and the yellow circled portion from a third table). When I first export the data it is exporting from the LAYOUT. However, when I then try to import into the clone I made, it only lets me imports into the LORDER_ table. This means that the circled parts have no fields into which I can import the associated data.

I realize I may not be using the correct terms here but I think I'm close. Is there a way to do what I need to do?

• 1. Re: Importing multiple tables into a clone
          wimdecorte

While it could be corruption, the FMS stats log will give you good info too as to where the bottleneck is.

What are the specs of the server?

• 2. Re: Importing multiple tables into a clone
            bkolb

I've never heard of the FMS stats log...is that looked at by going to the View drop down and selecting Log Viewer?

This is running on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise server. 

Service Pack 1.

Processor:  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 0 @ 2.70GHz (2 processors)

Installed memory (RAM) - 4.00 GB

System type - 64-bit Operating System

• 3. Re: Importing multiple tables into a clone
              bkolb

One thing I am seeing in the Log Viewer are lots of messages that say Client xxxx authentication failed on database mayomml.fp7 using Admin[fmapp].  I have a DEV server that has copies of the exact Filemaker databases and I don't seem to get those messages when I log in.  When I look at the File Options for mayomml.fp7, on BOTH servers (DEV and PROD) Log in using is NOT checked.  We have external authentication set up.   I'm wondering if there's some configuration I'm missing on the PROD server that is on the DEV server.  Any ideas there?  Could this be causing the slowness users are seeing?

• 4. Re: Importing multiple tables into a clone
                wimdecorte

That message is likely because you have the file left to auto-login with the admin account.  Turn that off in File > Options

• 5. Re: Importing multiple tables into a clone
                  wimdecorte

bkolb wrote:

I've never heard of the FMS stats log...is that looked at by going to the View drop down and selecting Log Viewer?

No, the stats log is turned off by default.  You can turn it on in the admin console and it will create a stats.log file in the FMS logs folder.

You can see some of the running stats in the "Statistics" section of the admin console.  Problem with that is that you can only select a few and it does not record anything.  So it is hard to get an overview of the performance over time unless you enable the log.

• 6. Re: Importing multiple tables into a clone
                    jormond

You will likely see a single-sign on error in the log if you are on Windows and the user's PC log-on user doesn't match the domain credentials (when using External Authentication). Windows tries to Single Sign-On first. If that fails it presents the log-in prompt.

If it's trying "Admin", either the PC is logged in using a local account name "Admin" or a gremlin got into your system and turned on the "Log in using" option.

• 7. Re: Importing multiple tables into a clone
                      bkolb

That's what is confusing me about this Client xxxx authentication failed on database mayomml.fp7 using Admin[fmapp]. message.  The File Options for mayomml do NOT have it logging in with a specific account.   It only has the 2 Perform script checkboxes checked and a script selected for each.

mayomml.jpg

I am concerned I don't understand how external authorization works very well and I have something configured incorrectly.  Users log onto their Windows boxes.  They then open a Filemaker icon I created for them that runs a script with 4 steps - Go to a layout (very basic...just has verbiage telling them to wait as it's loading), then it does a Hide status area, followed by an Open File["mayomml"] and finishes with a Close File [Current File]. To me, this is pretty simple, but I keep seeing these messages in the log.  Any ideas?

• 8. Re: Importing multiple tables into a clone
                        wimdecorte

but if you use a launcher file, that one will likely have the auto-login turned on and it will pass its credentials on to the hosted file, fail, and then try External Authentication

• 9. Re: Importing multiple tables into a clone
                          wimdecorte

bkolb wrote:

Processor:  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 0 @ 2.70GHz (2 processors)

Installed memory (RAM) - 4.00 GB

How many cores per processor?

The RAM is on the low side, how much cache have you set in the FMS admin console?

• 10. Re: Importing multiple tables into a clone
                            wimdecorte

You also have not replied back with what you have found in the stats log, especially with respect to processing related bottlenecks (elapsed time per call, wait time per call,...) or any of the other bottlenecks.

Also check that the machine is not running low on disk space on any of its drives, that there is no active virus scanning, non-FMS backup,...

• 11. Re: Importing multiple tables into a clone
                              wimdecorte

launcher file, but obviously also any other file that tries to implicitly pull open your file, if the calling file has auto-login turned on (and one of them does) then you will get this.