6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2014 3:14 PM by wimdecorte

Backup File Names

madmike6537

I did a search and looked in the admin tool and couldnt find anything about this. Does anyone know what the numbers are after the name of the backup file? See this image:

Capture.JPG

• 1. Re: Backup File Names
          mark_scott

It's the time, in military time . . . translation:  11:05 PM.

hth,

Mark

• 2. Re: Backup File Names
            madmike6537

Ah - interesting. Thanks for the reply. That is what I needed to know.

• 3. Re: Backup File Names
              madmike6537

If I may, I have a follow up question.

I am trying to access a file on my server via a script which is executed on the server.  The script always returns a 102 error, it cant recognize my filepath.

I have tried every combination I can think of from

file:///OSX/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Backups

to filemac:/OSX/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Backups

etc etc,

always a 102 error, it cant find my file.

What is the proper way to reference this backup file if I am performing a script on the server?

• 4. Re: Backup File Names
                wimdecorte

madmike6537 wrote:

file:///OSX/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Backups

Stop right there!  Do not touch your backups in this way (even if it were possible).  This is the same best practice that also says" "don't open a backup file from its backup folder, first copy it to another location and then open it".

The underlying issue is with the way FMS hard-links files between backup sets.  Opening (and changing) one file in one backup set may actually affect multiple backup sets.

But more generically, you never want to change a backup.  Opening it runs the risk of changing the data and that renders you backup invalid.  Always make a copy before opening a backup set.

• 5. Re: Backup File Names
                  Stephen Huston

+1 on wim's comments. Do not touch files in the backup area except to copy them by complete folders to another disk. Backup links is one issue, plus they are not being served, so FM-clients and FM-scripts should not be able to access them for any reason.

• 6. Re: Backup File Names
                    wimdecorte

Mark Scott wrote:

It's the time, in military time . .

Or just the time as referenced by most of the other parts of the world that don't use AM and PM notations