9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 1:41 AM by psijmons

FileMaker Server 13.0v5 update seems to kill the web server and SSL connection

BenGraham

I recently purchased a new approved thawte 123 SSL that is on the approved FMS ssl list. So that I could follow the recomendations for security running the new v5 update. I am running a OSX Mavericks Mac mini server. I successfuly imported the SSL using the Certificate Import command line creating the serverCustom.pem from the serverRequest.pem and the serverKey.pem. I could see that all was running well on 13.0v4.

When I ran the update there was no connection to the server from WAN only the server admin panel via localhost:16001. Which shows the Web Server is not running, hence PHP is not enabled. I tried editing the depolyment, which gives this error trying to stare web server:

Test web server (http://127.0.0.1:80/fmi-test/test.xml): Connection refused

Test web server (https://127.0.0.1:443/fmi-test/test.xml): Connection refused

I stopped and started the server with the terminal command.

Still not working.

I then removed FMS , installeld 13.0v1 and got all working again and was able to test and have php working properly. All with the new SSL not the FMI SSL. Looking good.

I proceeded to 13.0v3 upddate. Tested all still okay.

Then 13.0v5 update and I am back where I started. I cannot even reach the domain of the server. So it is somehow killing the connection on ports 80 and 443 which I know it takes over, but it is just not going.

Does anyone have a solution or idea how to resolve this?

I do have the OS X server app running, but have Web Services Off. This has not been an issue since FMS 13 other than I did not have an approved SSL, so I had been using the FMI SSL up to now.

Cheers,

Ben

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 13.0v5 update seems to kill the web server and SSL connection
          psijmons

I'm having exactly the same issue, same configuration, so I think I will do an uninstall / install cycle and stop at 13.0v3 until this porblem is solved.

I will keep an eye on this thread.

Peter

as an additional note: it has worked previously (before and after upgrade to Mavericks) but we had a 3 h powercut this week which raised some issues on rebooting this server, none of the db could be opened again so I just did a complete uninstall / install cylce FMS13.0v1 / .0v3  / .0v5 and then the problem stated by Ben was apparent.

Installation of FMWeb fails and I cannot reach FMSAT from other machines on the LAN.

Hopefully this may shed some light on where the bug lies.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server 13.0v5 update seems to kill the web server and SSL connection
            davidhamannmedia

Hi Ben,

this could be a conflict between the two web servers. I had a similar problem before.

Try to stop the running instance:

sudo apachectl stop

... and then gracefully restart the FM web server:

sudo /Library/Filemaker\ Server/HTTPServer/bin/httpdctl graceful

Hope this helps

David

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server 13.0v5 update seems to kill the web server and SSL connection
              BenGraham

Thanks David, I will give this a try and see how it goes. I will post the result here later when I get it done.

Cheers,

Ben

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server 13.0v5 update seems to kill the web server and SSL connection
                BenGraham

Follow up after trying the above:

server:~ bengraham$ sudo apachectl stop

Password:

server:~ bengraham$ sudo /Library/Filemaker\ Server/HTTPServer/bin/httpdctl graceful

========== graceful ==========

Sat 13 Dec 2014 22:19:22 ACDT

/usr/sbin/httpd -k graceful -D FILEMAKER -f /Library/FileMaker Server/HTTPServer/conf/httpd.conf

[Sat Dec 13 22:19:22 2014] [warn] module php5_module is already loaded, skipping

[Sat Dec 13 22:19:22 2014] [warn] The Alias directive in /Library/FileMaker Server/Admin/admin-helper/WEB-INF/conf/fmi-test.conf at line 1 will probably never match because it overlaps an earlier Alias.

[Sat Dec 13 22:19:22 2014] [warn] The Alias directive in /Library/FileMaker Server/Admin/admin-helper/WEB-INF/conf/fmi-test.conf at line 1 will probably never match because it overlaps an earlier Alias.

Syntax error on line 5 of /Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/php/mavericks/httpd.fmi.conf.php:

Only first PHPINIDir directive honored per configuration tree - subsequent ones ignored

exit code 1

server:~ bengraham$

It did not work.  Perhaps someone reading this understand more about what thi means.  I was planning t do what psijmons says above although go to v4 until another remidy is found. I think possibly with this version of FMS they are serious about running FMS on dedicated machine.  I am thinking I may have to get another Mac Mini and use one for FMS and one for shared server files running Server App.

Any thoughts on this...

Cheers,

Ben

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server 13.0v5 update seems to kill the web server and SSL connection
                  user19752

It seems your

/Library/FileMaker Server/HTTPServer/conf/httpd.conf

file is corrupted.

Isn't there dupulicated lines about loading php5 module, including another .conf files, etc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Server 13.0v5 update seems to kill the web server and SSL connection
                    BenGraham

Thanks All for the help and replys on this post. The bottom line here is that a Mac OSX system set up as Server with the Server Application is not compatable with FMS 13v5.  Going back to FMI orginal statement to run FMS on a dedicated machine and since FMS 13 takes over the web server it must also not have the server  app installed even if websites are disabled, which worked on FMS 13v1 - v4.

So for the mean time I am running on 13v4 and plan to set up another mac mini that does not have server app installed to be a FMS dedicated machine.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Server 13.0v5 update seems to kill the web server and SSL connection
                      psijmons

Ben, this worked for me:

downloaded a complete version of FMS13.v05 (not an update package but the full program)

this is the link for a trial version which you can install using your own license code:

http://www.filemaker.com/redirects/ss.html?file=SRV13MAC

• move FMS database folder to safe location
                      • then used the installer to uninstall FMS13
                      • remove all FMS folder manually:
                        • Library/FileMaker Server
                        • Library/Application Support/FileMaker
                      • run installer for FMS13.05
                      • upload databases

Now all working fine again.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Server 13.0v5 update seems to kill the web server and SSL connection
                        BenGraham

Hi Peter,

Yes, I do remember pondering this idea somewhere along my long journey.  

So to confirm you have the Server Application installed and running on this Mac Mini and you have Websites off in that app?

Now with this installation the FileMaker Web Server is running and you have a serverCustom.pem , serverKey.pem, with serverRequest.pem?

Thanks for your update as you can see I had given up and have been sorting out getting another server deciding whether to put FMS on a new clean server or move my Server App and file sharing to the new machine.  I have not purchased one yet though.  

I can see one advantage to having another server is I can host either FMWebdirect separately there or just be able to use websites again out of the Server app.

Cheers,

Ben

• 9. Re: FileMaker Server 13.0v5 update seems to kill the web server and SSL connection
                          psijmons

I'm away from that server now to check this but Webdirect is active and working correct on that server