11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2014 11:32 AM by marcs

FM GO cant connect to related databases

marcs

I recently wanted to setup FM GO for people to use with my FM13 PRO.  I got my ports on my router and everything all set up.  And downloaded FM GO on my I phone and got it to where I can see my hosted database, and even connect to some of my databases.

However I can't seem to connect to all of my databases for some reason, and from the customer service line they are thinking it is a relationship problem with some of my databases.  The error message that I get whenever I try to connect to some of these databases is

"The file "file name" could not be opened.  Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host."

I click ok, and than cancel to get past that error message, and that error message than pops up again for each related database. Once i get through all the error messages FM GO can than load up the database I wanted (with all the related fields marked as <file missing> of course).

I have checked all of the extended privileges and made sure that they are all right, so it should work.  Can anyone point me in some direction that could help me figure out what I did wrong? 

Also I am very new to File Maker, only been using it for about 2 weeks so talk to me like I am a baby or something.

• 1. Re: FM GO cant connect to related databases
          lavendt

It sounds like your iPad does not have access to the server, where the files exist.

Just like the error dialog says.

First up, make sure that your iPad is on the same network or at least have access to the server, where the file reside.

If that does not work, make a test, to make sure that you can connect from your desktop FMP(A) to the files.

Oh, I see that you are trying to use your FileMaker Pro as a server, so open the files on your computer. Go through all of them and make sure they are set to be available for hosting. (File->Sharing->Share with FileMaker clients)

Make sure network sharing is on. Run through the list of files and set Network access to "All users".

Try again....

• 2. Re: FM GO cant connect to related databases
            wimdecorte

In addition to Claus's advice:

- since you are using FM Pro (as opposed to FM Server) as your host, note that there is a limit of 5 connections.   Since you mentioned "people" (as in plural) you need to make sure you stay within that limit.

• 3. Re: FM GO cant connect to related databases
              marcs

I am hosting them currently on File maker Server 13.  And they are all currently being shared with FileMaker clients.  I have it set so all users have access, and I have even made a couple test databases to see if I can connect. 

I am able to connect without any problem on the test databases, as well as about half of my other databases.  But I am still getting the same problem of "The file could not be opened" error message, when I try to open up the one that I want.

The file I want is named "Graphics" and one of the files it says it cannot open is "Order Header"

When I go on my IPhone to connect to my server it clearly lists all my databases that I can connect to and it shows that "Graphics" and "Order Header" are one of the many that I have available.

• 4. Re: FM GO cant connect to related databases
                wimdecorte

marcs wrote:

I am hosting them currently on File maker Server 13.  And they are all currently being shared with FileMaker clients. 

None of the FMP 13 clients have an issue with those files?

From a ports point of view there is no difference between a FM Go and a FM Pro client so it is not going to be ports, unless the FM Go clients are on a totally different network (mobile?) and the firewall is not quite right.

• 5. Re: FM GO cant connect to related databases
                  lavendt

So, the file you are trying to open, where you see <file missing> in the fields, is related to another file, where the data that should be displayed in these fields live.

Clearly, you need to make sure that the reference to that file is correct.

For easyness in this example, the file you open, we call "FileA" and the other file we call "FileB".

Open FileA

Go to File->Manage->External Datasources

You should see a reference to FileB on the list here.

Double-click and open it.

(we assume that all the files is hosted on the same server)

The path to FileB should be:  "file:FileB"

• 6. Re: FM GO cant connect to related databases
                    marcs

When I go in there the filepath is

fmnet:/192.0.0.10/Order Hdr

should it just be

file:Order Hdr?

Also to wimdecorte's reply, yes the only thing that I am having a problem with is on my FMGO, and its on a different network, because I want salesmen to be able to travel and still use the file.  I have contacted FileMaker customer service and they tested my firewall and ports and said that everything is set up to where it should work.

• 7. Re: FM GO cant connect to related databases
                      lavendt

yes, change the path like you write

• 8. Re: FM GO cant connect to related databases
                        marcs

OMG, thank you!!!!

I have no idea what that did, I mean doesn't it need my IP address or something? But it works now!!!!!!!

• 9. Re: FM GO cant connect to related databases
                          wimdecorte

If the file is on the same server as the rest of the set then just "file:" is all you need

• 10. Re: FM GO cant connect to related databases
                            wimdecorte

otherwise it will look for a host on the specified IP address.  Not knowing much about your network but it seems that is not the IP address of your host.

Also make sure your host has a fixed iP address, not one assigned by DHCP

• 11. Re: FM GO cant connect to related databases
                              marcs

will do, thx again for the reply you two.