1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2015 10:47 PM by Benjamin Fehr

PDF Rendering Issue - Mac - FileMaker Pro 13.0v4

databuzz

I'm upgrading a solution from v11 to v13 - the main purpose of the solution is to generate PDF Agreements. We've noticed that there are differences in the v13 PDF compared to the v11 (and also the v12), particularly on the bold text.

I've attached some screenshots showing the differences - we can't change the font either. I've tried playing with the Acrobat compatibility settings in the Save as PDF script step which hasn't made a difference. We're getting the same result on Mavericks and Yosemite.

Printing as PDF using the Mac OS X print function produces a correct PDF - it's restricted to the PDFs generated using the Save Records as PDF script step.

Anyone encountered this and have any suggestions?

• 1. Re: PDF Rendering Issue - Mac - FileMaker Pro 13.0v4
          keywords

It looks like it is rendering in a different font, possibly as a result of substitution. I suggest you check the fonts in use on the particular fields in question. I have come across this and overcome it by changing fonts. It seems that some fonts are more compatible with pdf than others; it's a matter of finding one that works. You might be able to pin it down a bit by checking the font details in your pdf (File –> Properties –> Fonts). Helvetica is one font that seems to be pretty compatible, although you appear to be using a sans serif font. You should be able to solve it with a bit of trial and error.

Another thing to check, since I'm guessing you have converted a FM11 file:  I have noticed that some fields have an undefined font definition (compare the two screenshots below). In this case font substitution will occur for both screen display and print/pdf and each process could follow different rules.

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 4.46.22 pm.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 4.46.40 pm.png

• 2. Re: PDF Rendering Issue - Mac - FileMaker Pro 13.0v4
            schamblee

There is a know issue when using adobe to view the PDF files.  I understand one possible work around is to use the MAC preview program to view the PDF instead of Adobe.

PDF files generated in FileMaker Pro look different when viewed using Adobe Viewer | FileMaker

• 3. Re: PDF Rendering Issue - Mac - FileMaker Pro 13.0v4
              keywords

The link you have posted refers to appearance, specifically mentioning colour rendering, whereas the issue databuzz posted concerns fonts. The more significant issue with fonts is embedding, and the more likely solution is as I suggested: make sure suitable fonts are selected inside FM.

• 4. Re: PDF Rendering Issue - Mac - FileMaker Pro 13.0v4
                databuzz

I should have mentioned we are using the Mac Preview app to view the resulting PDF files - no Adobe Reader installed.

• 5. Re: PDF Rendering Issue - Mac - FileMaker Pro 13.0v4
                  databuzz

There's no issue with the fonts. They are defined correctly and have been in use with FileMaker Pro versions for many years now without any issues. We can't change font as it's required for this particular document. A PDF generated by FileMaker Pro v12 on the same layout/file is fine, so it looks like the issue is new to FileMaker Pro v13.0v4. It might well be an issue with the combination of that font and this version of FileMaker Pro, but as we can't change fonts and it's worked fine for many years with previous versions of FileMaker Pro it looks like something has changed with the PDF engine in v13.0v4.

• 6. Re: PDF Rendering Issue - Mac - FileMaker Pro 13.0v4
                    keywords

Therefore the issue is with the creation of the pdf, not the viewing. When you print to pdf it is the OSX which creates it; when you use save as pdf it is FM that does it.

• 7. Re: PDF Rendering Issue - Mac - FileMaker Pro 13.0v4
                      keywords

Could it be that the new version is right while previous versions, albeit what you were used to, were wrong? How does the pdf compare to what you see on screen? Could it be that you are not actually using a Bold font, but only bolding a regular font?

• 8. Re: PDF Rendering Issue - Mac - FileMaker Pro 13.0v4
                        databuzz

The PDFs generated by FileMaker Pro v11 and v12 and by the Mac OS X Save as PDF are all identical and appear correctly, and reflect what appears on the screen. It is only the PDF generated by FileMaker Pro v13 that is different to the other PDFs and what appears on the screen. We are applying a bold style to the font, not using a Bold font.

• 9. Re: PDF Rendering Issue - Mac - FileMaker Pro 13.0v4
                          schamblee

My post was not stating your information was incorrect.  I was stating that there have been some issue reported that pertain to the PDF not looking correct.  New bugs are found all the time, and this may be a issue that needs to be reported if changing the fonts does not fix the issue.   I didn't read anywhere that the issue had been fixed.

• 10. Re: PDF Rendering Issue - Mac - FileMaker Pro 13.0v4
                            user19752

There is an issue on FM12 that embedding fonts into PDF as "defined in FM", it results different viewing on PDF and screen/printing, since OS substitute font sometime.

It seems FM13 is trying to embed "used" font into PDF, but it is not successful.

• 11. Re: PDF Rendering Issue - Mac - FileMaker Pro 13.0v4
                              skyreign

I may be wrong on this but I'm fairly certain FileMaker uses the Default PDF program for both Printing and Saving (as well as showing in a container) the PDF. On Windows for instance (can't test on Mac because there is always Preview), you must install a PDF Reader to even see the PDF in an interactive container. So my guess is it's something inconsistent with 13v4 and Preview, though I've not seen it. Just for testing, have you tried Adobe Reader? Also, if Adobe Reader ever was installed it would leave /Library/Internet Plug-ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin -so even if Adobe was uninstalled this could be causing an issue. Just things to check. Certainly unsure of the resolution here.

• 12. Re: PDF Rendering Issue - Mac - FileMaker Pro 13.0v4
                                user19752

If you have Windows PC, using PDF-XChange Viewer you can select text in PDF and see the font it uses.

Tracker Software Products :: Downloads

• 13. Re: PDF Rendering Issue - Mac - FileMaker Pro 13.0v4
                                  user19752

There are very few fonts that apear in font menu as "somefont Bold".

I tested with Baskerville, in FM12 all becomes "Baskerville Bold".

In FM13, bolded Baskerville seems "Baskerville SemiBold" in screen and print, but save as PDF makes it as "Baskerville Bold".

Disabling "Baskerville SemiBold" in FontBook resolve this case, but your case seems a bit different (FM13 is bolder than FM11)

• 14. Re: PDF Rendering Issue - Mac - FileMaker Pro 13.0v4
                                    keywords

Re: "There are very few fonts that apear in font menu as "somefont Bold""

The number of Bold fonts in your list depends on the number available in your system.

Re: "In FM13, bolded Baskerville seems "Baskerville SemiBold" in screen and print, but save as PDF makes it as "Baskerville Bold""

On my tests in FM13 there is a clear difference on screen between any bolded font and an actual Bold font. There does seem to be a difference between FM12 and FM13; eg. in 12 the Bold and Semibold versions of Baskerville are not available, so the only course is to use FM's bolding button. This is almost certainly an improvement in 13 in its ability to interact with available fonts, so we should recognise this and work with it.

Neither of the above negate the point I made in an earlier post, that there is a difference between bolding any font (even a Bold one) and actually using a Bold font, and this will have an impact on how the font appears i a pdf as it will influence whether the selected font is embedded or substituted.

1 2 Previous Next