14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2015 5:35 PM by disabled_jackrodgers

Using Iphone to insert a picture into a container....

ghevia99

Hi there.

Doing all my tests on the server using FM server, using an application based on the iphone,

testing all the features I designed, the function to import pictures from the iphone's pictures

folder, then, I click the photos icon, when I do that it takes me to the Albums Library, where

I could pick the Camera Roll, My Photo Stream, Videos, etc., then, when I click on one of them,

My photo Stream,  it  kick me out of the FM application, leaving the application opened.

Because, I don't have enough Simultaneous opened session for FM GO, I need to go in FM server

admin console, close the application and re-open it, to start testing again.

My question is :  the Import operation in this case, is being fully done by the iphone?, it means

I don't have to do anything else about that?, or rather than that, I would need to do something ?,

any kind of configuration parameter, or being managed by a script, or something else?

Gustavo Hevia.

• 1. Re: Using Iphone to insert a picture into a container....
          mikebeargie

"Insert From Device" is your best bet for grabbing data from filemaker go. It was designed specifically for use with FileMaker Go and has the best compatibility.

Insert From Device

Have you tested on multiple iOS devices to see if it's unique to one device? There's dozens of configurations now and perhaps your version of FMGo/iOS is having an issue.

• 2. Re: Using Iphone to insert a picture into a container....
            ghevia99

Alright, that means it  should be part of a code written inside a script to be executed.

I  don't have any code, I am just tap on the container, and the menu comes up, and that

issue happens when I am ready to enter into the album and select the picture to insert.

It could be the reason that is happening ?

In that case, I should have a button activating that instruction "Insert from Device", avoiding

to call that menu to import, take the picture from the camera and others ?

Gustavo

• 3. Re: Using Iphone to insert a picture into a container....
              schamblee

"Insert From Device" is a new command in FMGo 13.   This command is not required.  You can use the Tap method which pulls up a menu as you describe.  I have not had any issues using either method.   Are you sure your file is not corrupt.  You can run recover on the file to detect issues with it.   I would also make sure that FMGo is up to date.

• 4. Re: Using Iphone to insert a picture into a container....
                ghevia99

Ok schamble.

1) I think the file is not corrupt, since still I can  re-enter on the App., and see all the records saved before.

2) FM GO version, is 13.0.8, released on DEC 2014.

Also : the IOS version I have in my Iphone is :  iOS  8.1.2

Still it is happening to me.

Gustavo Hevia

• 5. Re: Using Iphone to insert a picture into a container....
                  schamblee

Maybe I miss understood your question.  A container field can only have one item inserted into it at a time.

1.  Tap the container field

2.  Select Photos
                  3.  Select My Photo Stream
                  4.  Select the desired Photo

and then you will returned to the Filemaker Go app with the photo inserted in the container.

If not then I would say there is an issue with your file.   Just because you can open a file and read records does not mean there is not any file corruption.  Objects on a Layout can get corrupt just as the data can.  I would run Recover on the file to check for errors.  You can also create a new sample app with just one container field to test and verify that you get the same results or not.

• 6. Re: Using Iphone to insert a picture into a container....
                    ghevia99

Ok. Schamble.

I am sorry I didn't  reply before, I was on vacation.

I returned home yesterday and started playing with this again.

Yes, the issue was :

I am  using a Slide control box, and with that slide control I have three containers,

and I was trying to import pictures from the Pictures folder,

and then I was getting that error.

What I did to fix it ?.

I  kept the slide control box, with the three containers pictures, just to display, no Browse mode.

Then I created three layouts with one container each, in Browse mode, to import the pictures , from the camera or from the

Pictures folder.

Controlling if I want to create a new record, with at least one picture, I started the sequence of layouts to import the pictures,

but If I am coming from the Screen list, where the record is already created I display the layout with the Slide Control.

Now, it works fine.

Your clue was a good reference, thanks for your help.

Gustavo Hevia.

• 7. Re: Using Iphone to insert a picture into a container....
                      ghevia99

Hi Schamblee, Mike.

As I said before,  I started using the  "Insert from Device"  to control what the user can import, since the user wants only photos from the camera or from the Photos Library, That's done. The issue I have is just to control if the user wants to

replace that picture by another one, with the same options, from Camera or from Photos Library.

I was trying to use the same logic  IF /THEN / ELSE with a Show Custom Dialog to execute an "Insert from Device" from Camera or from Photos, but I am getting the same error like before, since the container is already full.

Using the default function when the user tap in the field, appears by default the options  " View /  Replace / Export ", what would be the corresponding instruction to replace, since the container is not empty?, or maybe should I need to remove that picture, how to do it ?.

Any help, would be appreciated.

Gustavo

• 8. Re: Using Iphone to insert a picture into a container....
                        schamblee

The if statement should not change anything.   Change your button back to the method that was working, then create a second button (copy and paste first button) and change to import from Photo Library from camera, so that you have two different buttons on your layout.  Test this setup to verify that they both work.  Once that is done then we attempt to make one button.

• 9. Re: Using Iphone to insert a picture into a container....
                          ghevia99

Ok. schamblee.

I put back the function, creating one button to import the picture from the Camera and another button to import the picture from the Photos Library. I need to control that the user only import pictures. Then I realized I need to use the correct platform, I had the instruction  "Insert from device", using  MAC as a platform, I put  iOS, then I realized that is needed to

have the field in Browse Mode, to be able fill out the container field using that function, but having the container field in Browse Mode, I could use the TAP Import file to insert the picture, but also the user could import another type of file, can I control that from the script, or there is another way to disable the others functions in that screen, when I use the TAP in the container field, If there is some way to disable  import audio, Music, Signature and files. If not, the only way I could control is using the script, and that's what I am trying to do.

Your help, would be appreciated.

Gustavo

• 10. Re: Using Iphone to insert a picture into a container....
                            schamblee

Setup the container field as a button and have it to run a script with nothing in the script or you can have it to run the insert from device when the container is clicked. Right click the container in layout mode, then click button setup

• 11. Re: Using Iphone to insert a picture into a container....
                              ghevia99

It works  schamblee.

Now, I can control what kind of file to import ( only photos ) using the camera or the photos library. Thanks.

Then, how can replace the photo I have in that container , using a script as well ?

Gustavo Hevia.

• 12. Re: Using Iphone to insert a picture into a container....
                                schamblee

Just take another picture and it will insert into the container.   I have seen post about a bug using the camera and that may be the issue you are having.  When you take the picture the second time it goes to the camera but the screen is black, the camera will still take picture it just doesn't show on screen.  I then take picture again and it shows the third time.   I don't know that Filemaker has address that issue yet. I will Report an issue.  If you are having a different problem than I'm having then let me know.

• 13. Re: Using Iphone to insert a picture into a container....
                                  ghevia99

Alright.

It works for me, I tried re-taking a picture with the camera, it works replacing the old photo, and also I tried importing a different picture from the photo's library.

It works. Thank you.

• 14. Re: Using Iphone to insert a picture into a container....

There are at least 2 scenarios to consider.

The worst is using the File on the Server opened remotely. This will suffer from disconnects and time outs and be a problem. You will create bad records, etc.

The next is a local file on your iPhone or iPad which will function near perfectly and does not tie up the server while you fiddle around. With 13:

create a new record

insert from device

commit record.

Put this inside a loop with exit if error not 0

The pictures are now stored in a container field in FileMaker Go.

When you are ready, pass the records to the server. I use a second file to do this which consists of a TO for the server table and a TO for the local file table. I store a copy in a container field in the local file and export it to the GO device when I want to use it.

This avoids the uncertainties of a WiFi or cellular connection. You mark the correctly synced records and can restart with the un-scynced if it fails.

Plus you can do the sync anytime and do not have to stand around waiting for each photo to be transfered.