1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2014 5:58 PM by jgalt

Keeping a popover open while typing outside of the popover?

jgalt

I am trying to create a search field that is similar to the one in the top right corner of this page. Notice how the popover opens when you first enter the field and it stays open as you are typing. Does anyone know of a way to do this in FMP 13?

I can create a hack that works pretty well on Desktop (by opening a popup with a transparent background that has a duplicate search field positioned precisely over the original search field) but I am hoping that there is a better way that is less likely to break on Mobile and Web, or if the window is resized.

• 1. Re: Keeping a popover open while typing outside of the popover?
          skyreign

I'm not sure this ones going to be possible in FileMaker. I've tried myself several ways and never had any luck. Even scripting a GoToObject inside of the Popover and then a GoToField outside of the Popover closes it. The popover must be active to be opened it seems. If you find a resolution somewhere else let me know!

-Sky

• 2. Re: Keeping a popover open while typing outside of the popover?
            steve_ssh

Hello,

Perhaps another hack option to explore would be to use conditional hiding of an object that is designed to appear similar to a popover.  The object could be revealed when the user enters the target field, and re-hidden when appropriate.

Possible downsides that I foresee with this:

- You lose the animation of the popover appearing

- The fake "popover" will always appear in the same position on the screen; unlike a popover, it will not dynamically locate itself to be in an optimally viewable location

Kind regards,

-steve

• 3. Re: Keeping a popover open while typing outside of the popover?
              BruceHerbach

Sky

Clicking outside of a popover closes the popover.

Can you put the field in the popover and have the user enter data in this copy of the field?

HTH

Sent from my mobile device... Please excuse typos.

• 4. Re: Keeping a popover open while typing outside of the popover?
                ibrahim_bittar

I agree with Bruce.

You can create a popover with a button called "Search" and when the user clicks on it it will show the search field and below you can have the portal with search results.

• 5. Re: Keeping a popover open while typing outside of the popover?
                  skyreign

Bruce,

If the field is inside of the popover it will stay opened as long as they are in the field or within the popover of course. Maybe I misunderstood. I thought the poster wanted to select the field to search then have the popover open and stay opened even when typing in the "search" field or working with something outside of the popover, like what we have in the top right. If you make a button for search and actually have the search field inside the popover window itself you will have no trouble of course. Ibrahim has the right idea.

-Sky

• 6. Re: Keeping a popover open while typing outside of the popover?
                    skyreign

I like Steve's idea as well. It would be a little more work, but it would give the same effects as the popover, but still allow you to type in the search field, which is, of course, outside the "popover window".

-Sky

• 7. Re: Keeping a popover open while typing outside of the popover?
                      jgalt

ibrahim_bittar wrote:

I agree with Bruce.

You can create a popover with a button called "Search" and when the user clicks on it it will show the search field and below you can have the portal with search results.

Yes, this is the method that I am currently using. I was hoping that there was a trick that I had not yet discovered that would allow me to place the search field outside of the popover.

• 8. Re: Keeping a popover open while typing outside of the popover?
                        jgalt

steve_ssh wrote:

Perhaps another hack option to explore would be to use conditional hiding of an object that is designed to appear similar to a popover.  The object could be revealed when the user enters the target field, and re-hidden when appropriate.

Thanks Steve.

Sorry, I did not do too good of a job explaining it in my original question but this is the method that I am currently using. The effect is very convincing and I will probably use it if I don't find a better solution. The only glitch that I have noticed is if the user resizes the window to a very small size it makes the two search fields shift position and come out of alignment with each other. I am not too concerned about it but these little glitches in the GUI drive me a bit crazy when I am trying to deliver a professional looking solution.

I am going to try and create a script toggle that hides the search field that is under the popover. Hiding it on open is easy but I am not exactly sure how to make it visible again if the user clicks on the layout background to close the popover.

Here is a demo of my current solution:

I have attached the demo file. I have only tested it on a Mac. Not sure how well it works on Windows.

• 9. Re: Keeping a popover open while typing outside of the popover?
                          steve_ssh

Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share the video.  I think it looks really great the way that you've got it currently working.  I did not catch the field alignment issue, but I trust that it is there.

I believe that we are actually thinking of two distinct approaches, and, though I like how yours looks better than the idea I have, I'll nonetheless attach a simple demo file just to illustrate the what I was thinking.

It uses no popovers, and only it has the single target field that the user clicks into -- hence no field alignment issues should arise.  It doesn't look very good with how I have it in the sample file, but perhaps with your sharper eye and attention to detail it could be improved.

Perhaps it will stimulate other ideas.

Thanks and very best,

-steve

p.s.  Thanks also for sharing your demo file.

• 10. Re: Keeping a popover open while typing outside of the popover?
                            ibrahim_bittar

Another option could be to leave the search field outside the popover and display the popover with search results...

What do you think?

• 11. Re: Keeping a popover open while typing outside of the popover?
                              jgalt

ibrahim_bittar wrote:

Another option could be to leave the search field outside the popover and display the popover with search results...

What do you think?

Yes, that was the original goal. It seems like this is not possible.

• 12. Re: Keeping a popover open while typing outside of the popover?
                                jgalt

steve_ssh wrote:

I did not catch the field alignment issue, but I trust that it is there.

I believe that we are actually thinking of two distinct approaches, and, though I like how yours looks better than the idea I have, I'll nonetheless attach a simple demo file just to illustrate the what I was thinking.

Thanks for sharing your demo file.

Sorry, I did not show the field alignment problem in my video. It only occurs if you make the window very narrow, maybe two or three inches.

One thing that I like about using the popover is that it keeps the layout pretty tidy. I just wish they gave us a little more control over it.

• 13. Re: Keeping a popover open while typing outside of the popover?
                                  ibrahim_bittar

I mean, you keep the popover closed and when you have the search results then display it.

• 14. Re: Keeping a popover open while typing outside of the popover?
                                    jgalt

ibrahim_bittar wrote:

I mean, you keep the popover closed and when you have the search results then display it.

Yes I agree. I had originally implemented my search feature by showing the user just the magnifying glass icon in a popover button. Which is how I plan to keep it on mobile. We tested it both ways on desktop and found that our users liked it better when they could see the search field in the GUI, even though it's technically the same number of clicks for them before they can start typing their search query.

1 2 Previous Next