12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2015 8:16 PM by mardikennedy

Feedback using the Feedback link

mardikennedy

Is there any way to quickly and easily view a chronological, complete list of posts?

I can do this if I go to each category, one by one, and switch the view from pane (pain?) to list.  I cannot do this for 'All'.  It is slow and tedious.

Regards, Mardi Kennedy

• 1. Re: Feedback using the Feedback link
          matthew_odell

Hi Mardi,

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you are asking. Are you referring to seeing all discussions sorted by their creation and/or last activity date? There is a Sort by _______ option right above the list/grid view.

Let me know if that helps or not. If not, can you help me understand specifically what you're looking to accomplish?

Matt

• 2. Re: Feedback using the Feedback link
            mardikennedy

Hi Matt,

I go to the Discussions page and it lists, from most recent back, all activity across the various chunks.  That page lists approx 10 items (sorry, not logged in at present).  These might cover any period from a couple of hours to a day and a half.  In the past, you could then scroll to the next 10 items etc.  Admittedly, it was still a clunky mechanism because if you went to an individual post, you’d still go back to the first default page, even though you might have scrolled through a couple of pages.

Now, there doesn’t seem to be a mechanism to scroll this view at all.

Especially after a holiday, I don’t want to have to go into each category to find out what discussions have taken place; I’d really like to be able to quickly scan the lot, chronologically, and then get on with the work that’s built up during the holiday break.

All the best,

Mardi

• 3. Re: Feedback using the Feedback link
              matthew_odell

Hey Mardi, are you on this "content" page:

Discussions

You can get to it by clicking "Content" in the subheader. From here, you can filter, sort, and search all discussions, and there are arrows at the top and bottom of the page that allow you page back and forth.

Let me know if that answers your question.

• 4. Re: Feedback using the Feedback link
                mardikennedy

Ok, you can officially mark me down as a dillpickle.  But I’ll explain my error…

First, I started off on Overview, and this is where I would ‘intuitively’ expect a scrolling mechanism.  Second, I did (a while back) go to Discussions and Filter, but I got distracted by the value list options which were of no special interest to me.  (Has successes, marked as official etc etc)  Admittedly, I don’t think I even revisited this page after the first day or two of the new version (weak excuse, I know) and you’d reckon that ‘None’ handles it comprehensively.

At any rate, question answered perfectly - another good case of user error.  Time to catch up on some back reading at my next break.

With thanks,

Mardi

• 5. Re: Feedback using the Feedback link
                  matthew_odell

No worries, whenever there are changes to sites like this, there is always the case of "where is that thing I used to do all the time? Is it gone? It has to be here somewhere..."

Good luck

• 6. Re: Feedback using the Feedback link
                    mardikennedy

Talking of which, for about two weeks, I received a daily email that included one liners on ?the 8 most recent posts?, but since around Jan 1, that section is now missing from the daily email.  I went back and checked in case my Prefs had ‘spontaneously changed’, but no, not this.  What else am I missing?

Ta, Mardi

• 7. Re: Feedback using the Feedback link
                      matthew_odell

We seemed to have had an issue with emails that I believe was fixed a few hours ago. You should be receiving all regularly scheduled emails tomorrow. If you still haven't received it after tomorrow, let us know.

• 8. Re: Feedback using the Feedback link
                        mardikennedy

Brilliant, thank you!

(PS:  heretical suggestion.  I understand the logic of the current categories (Calculations, Data etc) but they’ve never worked particularly well in this environment (users, interests etc).  I’d float a different grouping:  Urgent Problems; Non-Urgent Queries; Observations.  Just three.  The tech-related breakdowns don’t necessarily work as the item may overlap different chunks.  (Yes, removing General was an attempt but its former popularity reflected (in part) the inadequate silo-ing of posts.)

I’ve noticed over the years that tech support people assume that ‘everything must be an immediate problem’, whereas the ‘FMP community’ is as much about sharing ideas and pondering different options.

The term, “Observations” isn’t quite right - ideally it’d encompass a broad grab bag but I couldn’t think of a better, single word term!)

• 9. Re: Feedback using the Feedback link
                          matthew_odell

Hi Mardi,

Categories are completely different than the old silo-ed discussion forums, and for the specific reason you give. Notice when you create a new discussion or question that you can actually assign it to multiple categories, or no categories. This means we're not forcing people to use them (similar to the "general" forum before), but you can have your post be in multiple if it makes sense (for example a script dealing with security).

Hope that helps,

Matt

• 10. Re: Feedback using the Feedback link
                            mardikennedy

Fantastic!  Obviously I missed this welcome change completely - sorry.  ???Perhaps a temp note on the webpage to draw attention to the new behaviour?  (I sometimes resort to this with various users.  Potentially daggy but often functionally effective.)

Mardi

• 11. Re: Feedback using the Feedback link
                              matthew_odell

We're working on some help content to point this out in the near future. Thanks for the feedback though. It's helpful to know when things aren't easy or obvious for our users. It means we could do a better job there.

• 12. Re: Feedback using the Feedback link
                                mardikennedy

My pleasure.  It’s fun to be at the other end of the process for a change.