11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2015 2:17 PM by gilcano

There is a way to modify the UI of a drop down list?

gilcano

I was looking into the UI of a drop-down list and it's kinda simple and ugly, I wonder if one can modify the color, fonts, etc. of the content and background of the drop-down itself.  I try but the only thing that can one modify is actually the "field" is been using to host the drop-down.

Thanks

• 1. Re: There is a way to modify the UI of a drop down list?
          wintertj

The font on the background of a drop down should be the same as the font for field itself. Pretty sure you are stuck with a white background and black fonts for the menu though, because the selected field color (the color the background changes to for the specific option being selected) is an operating system level variable (System Preferences, General, Highlight color on Mac, can't remember on Windows). So if you were able to change the font and/or background color on the drop down area, the selection might not show up properly with the specified selection color at the OS level.

• 2. Re: There is a way to modify the UI of a drop down list?
            keywords

This may not be quite what you mean, but if you check "include arrow to hide and show list" in the field controls of the Data Inspector (see first screenshot) this changes the object from an Edit Box to a Drop-down List in the Style Inspector (see second screenshot) and enables some fine tuning of the object, although the preset options are much the same as for an Edit Box. No amount of change to the object seems to alter the appearance of the list itself, however.

Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 9.27.05 am.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 9.26.17 am.png

• 3. Re: There is a way to modify the UI of a drop down list?
              wintertj

Agreed, I don't think you can change the list itself (other than the font face, try something crazy like Comic Sans and you'll likely notice it). The background fill color (white) and font color (black) I'm thinking can't be changed, because if they could, it may cause a conflict with the selected field color, which is an operating system level variable. Stated another way, you can tell OS X or Windows what color you want the highlight to be when you mouse over and make a selection. If you could over ride the default back ground color of white and text color of black on the menu, creating the potential to have an ugly or unreadable selection.

• 4. Re: There is a way to modify the UI of a drop down list?
                gilcano

Thanks guys, well nothing seems to affect the drop-down list but if one changed the "font".  The same "square white ugly box" still unchanged even if you changed the appearance and corner radius of the field.  I'm surprised that FileMaker didn't allow the users an option to modify your own drop-down list.  Maybe this is a job for Matt Petrowsky, creator of the Scriptology & ThemeStudio libraries.  He had some videos in which he shows how to create your own Themes with .XML & .CSS files that looks like are "C" or "C+" programming.

Thanks anyway

• 5. Re: There is a way to modify the UI of a drop down list?
                  ericjungemann

Or use a Pop-Up.  We've switched ours due to issues in FM Go 13 with Dropdowns.

• 6. Re: There is a way to modify the UI of a drop down list?
                    gilcano

Yes I'm changing to a pop-ups

Thanks

• 7. Re: There is a way to modify the UI of a drop down list?
                      gilcano

Speaking of UI design, I have another question: Is FileMaker for Mac better than the Windows version?  Don't get me wrong I know FileMaker is a powerful program but I mean in the UI field, I watched a lot of videos on YOUTUBE and mostly everyone is using Mac.  On the other hand I got the book Filemaker & Me in which this guy show outstanding UI layouts with features that I saw in Matt Petrowsky Scriptology Themes Library.  I spent hours looking at every feature of a portal but can't come close to the portals this guy shows in his book.  Can anyone answer my question.

Thanks

• 8. Re: There is a way to modify the UI of a drop down list?
                        jgalt

gilcano wrote:

Speaking of UI design, I have another question: Is FileMaker for Mac better than the Windows version?  Don't get me wrong I know FileMaker is a powerful program but I mean in the UI field, I watched a lot of videos on YOUTUBE and mostly everyone is using Mac.  On the other hand I got the book Filemaker & Me in which this guy show outstanding UI layouts with features that I saw in Matt Petrowsky Scriptology Themes Library.  I spent hours looking at every feature of a portal but can't come close to the portals this guy shows in his book.  Can anyone answer my question.

Thanks

To me developing FileMaker solutions on a Mac is much better. I work with someone that is developing FileMaker solutions on Windows and it seems like a total nightmare to me. He just does not know any better because Windows is all he has ever used.

The biggest problems seems to be how FileMaker on Windows deals with dialog windows. Many of them cannot be resized and if you don't come up with a system of using shorter length names (or prefix your fields, table occurrences, layouts, etc.) with some sort of meaningful nomenclature, it's difficult to determine which items to select.

For example, take a look at this screen capture:

WindowsTableDropdownFail.jpg

And then there are all the front end problems on Windows... oh, don't get me started.

• 9. Re: There is a way to modify the UI of a drop down list?
                          gilcano

And then there are all the front end problems on Windows... oh, don't get me started

Ha Ha, well I can't say "I know what you mean" because never used a Mac but since the latest 90's I been looking at Mac PCs and always fond an excuse to buy an IBM clone due to the Mac been much more expensive and also some of my friends says that the Mac is just for professionals like Desktop Publisher, Graphical Designers, Engineers, etc.  Well I guess now I have an excuse to get me a Mac.

• 10. Re: There is a way to modify the UI of a drop down list?
                            wimdecorte

keep in mind though that if your client is mostly Windows you're better off developing on Windows.   While FM is cross-platform front sizes don't match up exactly and there are some platform-specific behavior difference that you can catch more quickly if you develop on the platform that your client uses.

Also: you need to get familiar troubleshooting OS issues on your client's platform.

One reason why a lot of developers are on Mac is because you can dual-boot into Windows (bootcamp) or run Windows in Parallels or VMware Fusion.  Because of OSX's licensing restrictions you can't quite do the same on a Windows machine.

So don't get fooled by this.  It's not a implicit vote for one platform over the other.

• 11. Re: There is a way to modify the UI of a drop down list?
                              gilcano

Well this particular application I'm developing is going to be used in Windows PC's but I would like to get familiar with the Mac environment.  I guess is good to know both OS platforms.  Thanks for you comments