AnsweredAssumed Answered

Limitations of using the Data Separation Model in FileMaker 13?

Question asked by jgalt on Dec 30, 2014
Latest reply on Aug 12, 2017 by beverly

I am about to start rewriting a large complex solution and over the past few days I have been experimenting with some of the new features in FileMaker 13. Before I start my rewrite I am trying to get a clear understanding of the limitations that I might run into using the data separation model (specifically any limitations when using FileMaker 13).

I am asking "specifically about limitations using FileMaker 13" because it seems like there are some new features in FileMaker 13 that could change what previously could not be done in the relationship graph.

For example, one major thing that I discovered today is that I can now join tables in the relationship graph using calculation fields. I don't work with FileMaker enough to keep up with all of the new changes but this appears to be something that I could not do in FileMaker 12 and the possibilities of this new capability seem significant.

I understand the advantages and the level of complexity that implementing the data separation model can add to a solution (and I am really not asking about that) what I am trying to get a clear understand of are specifically the things you give up (or cannot do) if you go down the path of using the data separation model.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Outcomes