AnsweredAssumed Answered

Indoor positioning system - HOWTO request

Question asked by rybadger on Jan 4, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 6, 2015 by CarlSchwarz

I've come across some cool technology that would enable indoor position tracking. As I'm sure you're aware, GPS is only good for about 15 feet of accuracy. Cellular triangulation fills in the rest so that your nav system works. I happen to have an application were I have supplied a very large facility with handheld iPad minis. For a number of reasons, it would be nice to know were the devices are, with better than GPS accuracy. I tried out the GPS capture function in Filemaker, and its ok, but not great. It was able to find the location of the enormous building I was in, but this certainly wouldn't be accurate enough to determine the location of an ipad. So, I started checking into an indoor positioning system. A previous thread pointed me in the right direction. The specified item was not found.

There are a handful of technologies such as wifi, bluetooth, magnetic fields used to triangulate or detect an indoor position. The one that caught my interest was IndoorAtlas . They use a compass sensor technique, which may not work for all applications, but its free and worth checking into.

I was able to download the mobile app and map out a small section in my home. They have you overlay a blueprint image of the building on Google Maps, then you draw lines on the screen. You then walk those corresponding lines in the building. This is a cool technique of orienting the map and recording the magnetic compass variation using the ios device's built-in sensor.

So now comes the fun part.

They offer an SDK which enables you to build an iOS (or Android) app to make use of this data. It seems like this app running in the background would be able to supply FilemakerGo with pinpoint (or at least better than GPS) accuracy location data. From there you could show a the user where they were or record locationstamp type data. One of the applications suggested using it as a mapping tool for customer navigation within a large store.

I have never never opened xCode and don't know quite where to begin. I'd love to learn more about these integrations. Can iOS even multitask like that? (Google Pause...and yes it can: Understand multitasking and background activity on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support) Any ideas on where to begin?

GPS Accuracy is actually at least 7.8 meters with 95% confidence level: GPS.gov: GPS Accuracy

For my purposes its as good as useless indoors.

Here are some other similar techs worth checking out:

Redpin - Indoor Positioning for the Rest of Us

Wifarer • Indoor Positioning | Indoor GPS | Location Analytics

Thank you

Outcomes