5 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2015 11:28 AM by rebfree

Chronological Age as of Certain Date

cjsweatt

Hi Everyone!

I am in need of a chronological age field which counts as of December 1 of the current year.  I am using the following code to get the age:

FullAge (calculation, text result) =

GetAsText ( Year ( Get ( CurrentDate ) )  - Year ( Date of Birth ) - If ( Get ( CurrentDate ) <  Date ( Month ( Date of Birth ) ; Day ( Date of Birth ) ; Year ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) ) ; 1 ; 0 ) ) & " Years, " & GetAsText ( Mod ( Month ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) - Month ( Date of Birth ) + 12 - If ( Day ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) < Day ( Date of Birth ) ; 1 ; 0 ) ; 12 ) ) & " Months, " & GetAsText ( Day ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) - Day ( Date of Birth )  + If ( Day ( Get ( CurrentDate ) )  ≥ Day ( Date of Birth ); 0 ; If ( Day ( Get ( CurrentDate ) - Day ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) ) < Day ( Date of Birth ) ; Day ( Date of Birth ) ; Day ( Get ( CurrentDate ) - Day ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) ) ) ) ) & " Days "

What else do I need to add in order to have it count as of December 1 of the current year?

Any help is always appreciated!

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Chronological Age as of Certain Date
          Mike_Mitchell

Hello, cjsweatt.

You're going to a lot of extra trouble to get the age. Try this (courtesy of Winfried Huslik, FileMaker Custom Function:age ( date1 ; date2 ):

-----------------------------------------------------------

Let ( [

neg = Case ( date1 > date2 ; -1 ; 1 ) ;

d1 = Case ( neg < 0 ; date2 ; date1 ) ;

d2 = Case ( neg < 0 ; date1 ; date2 ) ;

d = mod ( Day ( d2 ) - Day ( d1 ) ; Day (

Date ( Month ( d1 ) + 1 ; 0; year ( d1 ) ) ) ) ;

m = mod ( Month ( d2 ) - Month ( d1 ) -

( Day ( d2 ) < Day ( d1 ) ) ; 12 ) ;

y = Year ( d2 ) - Year ( d1 ) - ( ( Month ( d2 ) -

( Day ( d2 ) < Day ( d1 ) ) ) < Month ( d1 ) )

];

y * neg & ¶ &

m * neg & ¶ & 

d * neg & ¶ &

y & " years, " & m & " months, and " & d & " days" & ¶

)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Just pass it whatever two dates you need as date1 and date2. Since this is written as a custom function, it assumes you will pass them in as parameters to the function. If you're using it as a regular calculation, you can just define them at the top of the Let statement, like this:

Let ( [

date1 = Get ( CurrentDate ) ;

date2 = Date of Birth ;

neg = Case ( date1 > date2 ; -1 ; 1 ) ;

d1 = Case ( neg < 0 ; date2 ; date1 ) ;

If you need it to give you the age as of December 1 of the current year, just use:

Date ( 12 ; 1 ; Year ( Get ( CurrentDate )))

instead of

Get ( CurrentDate )

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Chronological Age as of Certain Date
            cjsweatt

@Mike_Mitchell: WOW!  That is great information!  I feel slightly embarrassed 1; that I just now saw you replied a few days ago... My apologies! I'm not getting e-mail notifications for some reason. And 2; I'm still so new to this that the code is a bit over my head.

If you don't mind talking me through this just a bit more so that I can learn a bit of what's going on here.  I have the following fields:

"Date of Birth" as a Date type

"Chrono Age" calculation type

With the example you gave, I have to create two additional fields: date1, and date2, and make them both Date types.  I input the calculation in the Chrono Age field, which is set to a Calculation type.

Again, I apologize if I'm way off on this..I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I did download the sample database from the link you provided - and it seems like there's a lot going on.

Thank you again for your help!!

• 3. Re: Chronological Age as of Certain Date
              cjsweatt

NEVERMIND!  Geeze... I just caught on to custom functions.  Woah! I feel pretty foolish...  I was going all around the world to accomplish this.  Ignore my first reply.  It took me a few times talking myself through this before I realized that "Custom Functions" and "Creating my own" was a thing in filemaker.

This brings me to another question.  The results in the box come out as, for example "14102114 years, 10 months & 21 days"

How can I rewrite this to only show "14 years, 10 months & 21 days"?  I want to eliminate the first eight characters.  I saw that in the example database, they added extra text boxes for "years" "months" and "days", and resized the function output box to show only the numbers in a vertical format.  I would like this as a linear output, so I deleted the paragraph symbols, but now I'm left with the long string of numbers, and then the result I want six characters in.

• 4. Re: Chronological Age as of Certain Date
                Mike_Mitchell

If I had to guess, I suspect one of the dates you're passing in isn't cast as a date. Try using the GetAsDate ( ) function to make sure it's being treated as a date (rather than as text).

If that doesn't work, post either a copy of your file or a copy of your exact calculation and we'll try to troubleshoot.

• 5. Re: Chronological Age as of Certain Date
                  rebfree

Thank you, Mike_Mitchell!!!!!!

I'm using this to calculate dates till a rent increase - looked all over for a clear answer, and here was yours. 

Thanks for taking the time to post it!

Rebecah