9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2015 2:56 PM by triatinbecker

File Maker Pro Communication Error

triatinbecker

I have a client who uses FileMaker Pro, they have a server hosted offsite that they connection that is managed by a third party. I have had this error message "Communication with the host was inturupted and could not be re-established. All affected windows will be closed." coming up for the last 2 months since having a new 8 wire Ethernet connection installed. There are no issues when connecting this server from another external source and I have run multiple internet connection tests including a full day of wireshark monitoring the in and outbound traffic from the Mac related to this problem. The connection is being made and is held stably but for some reason FileMaker does not allow the connection to continue on.

I have found a few articles on here that have said it is an unknown hardware problem and that there is no solution for it, FileMaker is the only program I am having these troubles with and there are no other issues within the organization. It is driving me insane as I have spent the better part of 2 months trying to find out how to solve this problem, with me starting at basic network issues and now resorting the the forums.

Thanks In Advance for your help

• 1. Re: File Maker Pro Communication Error
          mikebeargie

Is your new 8 port network device a router or a switch? A switch should have no effect but an improperly configured router can cause this issue.

• 2. Re: File Maker Pro Communication Error
            triatinbecker

Computer connected directly to router we have tried cable and Wifi. There is no QOS or Firewall rules configured, just a Netgear router with nothing fancy configured. I have tried another netgear and a Dlink model and we have the same issue. Client also moved from ADSL that we thought caused this to a 20/20MB Ethernet link. We have done various tests with the ISP (Telstra and Pacnet on ADSL, and now we have tried this on a TPG link and still have issues) This is the only application that have a issue and there is no ports blocked or any filtering on the line. We have done all possible network tests. Could you please guide us in what to try next to get your software working or what you want us to test.

• 3. Re: File Maker Pro Communication Error
              bhagara

i have that very thing happen when my computer goes to sleep or even when the screen saver kicks in...  just a thought.

• 4. Re: File Maker Pro Communication Error
                triatinbecker

thanks bhagara, that was the first thing I checked because everybody had stated that that could have been the issue when looking around for a resolution. Thanks for the thought

• 5. Re: File Maker Pro Communication Error
                  wimdecorte

triatinbecker wrote:

FileMaker is the only program I am having these troubles with a

FileMaker is the canary in the coal mine when it comes to network issues; its network usage is unlike anything else that you may have running (email, web browsing,...).  FMS and FMP rely on permanent & constant communication.  Anything that happens on the network can cause this.  On the whole path between the remote host and the clients.

All you can do (and you're doing it) is switching out and trying different hardware on your end.  But the issue may be on the cloud path between the remote host and your client.

Do a trial with another cloud host in a very different location and see if the issues persist.

• 6. Re: File Maker Pro Communication Error
                    bhagara

wim,

well said.  "canary in the coal mine"  love that.

• 7. Re: File Maker Pro Communication Error
                      triatinbecker

We have had the provider of the cloud host come and check onsite and had no luck connecting to a different host, but using his mobile telstra dongle could connect fine. There is another staff member who is in a different location who has no troubles what-so-ever connecting to the cloud host.

I see what you are getting at wim, so we should see if we can have the database transferred over to a different one of their remote servers. I am guessing after all of that the only way then is to have our fiber connection between our client and the remote host

• 8. Re: File Maker Pro Communication Error
                        bhagara

given all that, it sounds more like an issue with the main office network.

* someone not on the network working fine?

* cloud host brought their own network connection and it worked?

sounds like you're on the right track as Wim said... something on that network isn't right.  At that point, I try new wire too; could be what's in the walls.  Unless you installed it, you don't know what you have there.  So often we forget that sometimes the wire can be the *entire* problem.

• 9. Re: File Maker Pro Communication Error
                          triatinbecker

Looks like we might have to do some major onsite works to find this cable! It amazes me that this possibly tiny problem can cause such a massive headache! I will have them check the cabling in the wall with a brand new network cable that we will send to them.