5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2015 11:42 AM by disabled_jackrodgers

What do you do when you want a user to be Kiosk Mode only in FMGO?

jgalt

I have 15 users that are using both desktop and FMGO throughout the day. When they are logged into FMGO I want them to be in Kiosk mode but when they are on Desktop I want them to be in 'non-kiosk' mode. How would you guys deal with this scenario?

The problem that I am facing is that users want to stay logged into both desktop and mobile throughout the day. I really don't want to set up two users for each person and I was hoping to use FileMaker's users instead of trying to create my own user administration solution.

• 1. Re: What do you do when you want a user to be Kiosk Mode only in FMGO?
          mikebeargie

If you used the data separation model, you could have separate "interface" files for both FMGo and the desktop to connect to respectively. Then each interface file would be completely isolated to it's own set of rules. This would require you to manage your filemaker users in multiple files, but there's already a great user management module built for this:

http://www.modularfilemaker.org/module/accounts-modular-user-account-management/

You can do similar things with a single combined file. I would suggest keeping separate layouts for FMGo to start, and you're going to need to do a lot of work in your OnFirstWindowOpen script, as well as unifying common tasks such as navigation to a script so you can prevent FMGo users from ever getting out of kiosk mode. Testing will be important as well, you must go through every part of FMGo to make sure there's no way a user can get out of your kiosk mode layouts.

• 2. Re: What do you do when you want a user to be Kiosk Mode only in FMGO?
            JaredHague

What about Kiosk mode do you need? And only on iOS?

When you are using iOS there is guided access that will force the user into not being able to switch to another application.  I would just use that. You can even disable all the buttons like volume home and sleep.

• 3. Re: What do you do when you want a user to be Kiosk Mode only in FMGO?
              jgalt

Jared Hague wrote:

What about Kiosk mode do you need? And only on iOS?

When you are using iOS there is guided access that will force the user into not being able to switch to another application.  I would just use that. You can even disable all the buttons like volume home and sleep.

I don't care about them switching to another app. (I am not even sure how you could prevent that.) I just want to have 100% control over what the user can see and access. I specifically don't want them to see the FMGO menu bar across the top of the layout. I don't know how I can hide that other than using kiosk mode.

• 4. Re: What do you do when you want a user to be Kiosk Mode only in FMGO?
                jgalt

Mike Beargie wrote:

If you used the data separation model, you could have separate "interface" files for both FMGo and the desktop to connect to respectively. Then each interface file would be completely isolated to it's own set of rules.

Yes, that's a good suggestion Mike. Thanks.

The current solution is one giant spaghetti maze in a single file. I am just about to start rebuilding it from scratch and I am planning to use a data separation model. I am hoping that I will not regret this decision when I am eyeballs deep into it.

• 5. Re: What do you do when you want a user to be Kiosk Mode only in FMGO?

The only control you have as a scripter is to use Show/Hide Toolbar. That's the one at the bottom.

The user can tap the gear and select settings and then click the button to hide the Status Bar. That's the top one, not the FileMaker Go one. However, I find this to be buggy and have to force quit after using it.

So, they can open files and if you allow it change layouts and run scripts.

You can disallow the switching of layouts and opening of scripts in both your permissions and by unchecking the layouts and scripts in the editors checkboxes on the left.

By unchecking these items and by judicious use of the privilege options, you can effectively control what they do with YOUR app but not prevent them from opening another.

Using Get(device) = 3 or Get(Device) = 4 you can designate the layout they see and fine tune that with PrivilegeSet.

By creating separate layouts for Go and for Pro you can exert as much control as Kiosk mode in Pro.

One amusing trick is to show or hide buttons and other objects using the Hide feature in the Inspector. I hide the Take a Photo button if the device isn't IOS and also for Buttons I only want for Full Access.

Your imagination is your only limit as to what you can do with Go layouts.