4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 1:37 PM by ninja

A problem with changing FMS13 backup path?

ninja

Is there a known issue with changing the location (path) where scheduled backups are stored?

We have FMS13 on a cloud server and are backing up to a different cloud server...no issues.

Now I'm trying to have it save to a different folder on that "different cloud server".

Is this a known issue?  I don't seem to find any threads on it...

Thanks!

Eric Twiname

• 1. Re: A problem with changing FMS13 backup path?
          wimdecorte

Eric Twiname wrote:

We have FMS13 on a cloud server and are backing up to a different cloud server...no issues.

You're actually setting up FMS to backup to a network share?

That's a big no-no:

- much slower -> bigger impact on the users

- much more prone to errors -> greater risk of not having your intended backup

I'm pretty sure that FMS does not actually allow you to set a network path as the backup destination so I'm surprised that it worked in the first place.

• 2. Re: A problem with changing FMS13 backup path?
            ninja

Self taught guy here...I'm probably just misusing terminology...

FMS is on cloud host, so is "the network"...with the same hosting company.  Backups are separated from FMS...is 'partitioned' the right term?

From my computer...both are 'out there on the cloud'.  I do not know the details.

Backups are in a subfolder, and need to be in a different subfolder...and we're having trouble redirecting the storage location.

Sorry for being vague...I just don't work in the networking world...

• 3. Re: A problem with changing FMS13 backup path?
              wimdecorte

Is the new backup path on the same computer as FMS itself?

• 4. Re: A problem with changing FMS13 backup path?
                ninja

I don't know...I certainly hope not and highly doubt that it is on the same computer...but I don't know.

Both the FMServer and the "network drive" are operated by the hosting company, with a mirror site elsewhere.

My guess (and it is exactly a guess) is that they are two separate drives.  Same "computer"...that I do not know.

If it helps to educate the guess...the "network drive" is slightly over 4.5 TB.  That used to mean multiples...but not so much any more.

I am hearing from IT that there is a known conflict with FMS on cloud host with Java in the mix, and that a re-install is necessary to change backup paths...I'm just doing a "are they for real?" check out here with y'all who know way more than I about network servers and FMS in particular.