4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2015 3:53 AM by jgalt

Is there a way to snap ruler guides to objects or the grid?

jgalt

I understand that you can snap objects to ruler guides but is it possible to snap ruler guides to objects...or grid lines?

• 1. Re: Is there a way to snap ruler guides to objects or the grid?
          jbrown

Hi.

There seems to be a slight snap-to-grid with a guide. I couldn't get a guide to snap to an object however.

I zoomed into 400% and turned on the grid and "snap to grid". I moved a guide around and 'felt' a bit of a snap. At 400%, though it is pretty simple to see if the guide and the grid line up.

It would be nice to use the inspector to place the guide just as one can do with objects.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to snap ruler guides to objects or the grid?
            jgalt

Jeremy Brown wrote:

Hi.

There seems to be a slight snap-to-grid with a guide. I couldn't get a guide to snap to an object however.

I zoomed into 400% and turned on the grid and "snap to grid". I moved a guide around and 'felt' a bit of a snap. At 400%, though it is pretty simple to see if the guide and the grid line up.

It would be nice to use the inspector to place the guide just as one can do with objects.

Hi Jeremy, I thought the same thing but I think what we are seeing is an optical illusion. When you drag a guide it is moving in 1 point increments so it appears that it is snapping to the grid since the grid lines falls on exact points.

• 3. Re: Is there a way to snap ruler guides to objects or the grid?
              jrenfrew

While there might not be a snap to like to are seeking, its quite easy to note the left or right position you are after from the inspector on the object then when you drag a guide you will see the left AND right numbers scrolling up and down int eh inspector so stop when you are the determined point...

• 4. Re: Is there a way to snap ruler guides to objects or the grid?
                jgalt

jrenfrew wrote:

While there might not be a snap to like to are seeking, its quite easy to note the left or right position you are after from the inspector on the object then when you drag a guide you will see the left AND right numbers scrolling up and down int eh inspector so stop when you are the determined point...

Yes, this is what I am doing now. What I am really looking for is a better workaround to the real problem, not being able to export and import layout guides between databases.

I was hoping that there was an undocumented key combination that I could use (such as option-dragging a ruler guide) to make the guide snap to a grid or objects in the layout. This would give me an easy way to rapidly and accurately reproduce my layout guides.