AnsweredAssumed Answered

What am I doing wrong here? (Structural/relationships question)

Question asked by truckbuddy on Jan 13, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 13, 2015 by Mike_Mitchell

Hey all,

I've lurked for awhile and have picked up a lot of great help. But now I'm stuck.

I'm not a developer -- just a small business owner. I've been trying to build a basic personnel database for a year. For awhile I had it, but when problems started creeping in, it became obvious it was time to scrap it and start over.

Here's the deal: The stock personnel database that comes with FMP 13 is great for basic stuff, but I've been trying to customize it with some additional features. Namely, I want to keep track of customer reviews from places like Angie's List and Yelp (which generate more than half of our business). These reviews are valuable and a great way of measuring employee performance. I want to relate these reviews to the employees who helped the customers who wrote them. I also want to add a table for "incidents," mostly the lapses or otherwise negative stuff.

The details:

Customers write reviews. Each review is related to two or more employees (they work in crews of 2-4 people). However, sometimes customers write more than one review (some customers have written four or so reviews over the years).

I get how a join table works, for the most part, but I'm not sure what to put into the join table between Employees and Reviews (I can live without a separate customers table, but if I could get this damn thing to work right, it would be nice to have customers linked in.) Do I put the employees in the join table almost as if they're inventory line items?

This is a lot of words for what I'm sure is a simple problem, but I can't get it to work right. Match ID fields seem right, etc. Each review can have multiple employees, and each employee can have multiple reviews.

Help!

Thank you,

Chris

Outcomes