5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2015 8:57 AM by marcs

FM GO connect with internal IP

marcs

I got FM GO connected to my hosted database and it works perfectly fine, but it turns out one person needs to be able to connect to it while inside the building.

He doesn't have access where he is to have a direct line and was wondering if it is possible to use up one of our FM GO licenses, While we have an extra license lying around we though sure this would be fine.

The problem is my FM GO setup seems to work perfectly fine when I am pulling an IP address from a place that doesn't host the files.  But when I am inside my work and pull an IP address from my work FM GO doesn't work anymore. (I can rectify this by turning off wifi on my I-phone and using FM GO with 3G, and that would work but where the guy is that needs it, he also can't get a cell signal). 

Is it possible to use FM GO work with the same IP address so he can connect? Or is it something that can't be done, and I need to start drilling holes and get him directly connected to a switch?

• 1. Re: FM GO connect with internal IP
          wimdecorte

If FM Go is on the same network as FMS, the connection should be fine.  How do you ask him to connect? 

• 2. Re: FM GO connect with internal IP
            schamblee

I would guess that the wrong ip address is being used.   You need the ip address from the FMS, if it is a not public ip address, then  your router would be using port forwarding to the ip address of the fms.

• 3. Re: FM GO connect with internal IP
              marcs

right know he connects with his old computer, using filemaker pro 13. 

my FM GO is on the same network, and like i said it works fine, when i am pulling a IP address from my business (on the same network that FM is hosted on) FM says that it can't connect to the server (There is nothing to show)

But when i take Wi-Fi off and pull a different IP address from anywhere than FM GO works perfectly. 

I know thta this is kind of completely pointless that get FM GO to work inside my work, because the point of FM GO is to have it work anywhere outside of the office, which it does just fine.  I just need to know if there is a way to get it to work while it is pulling my offices IP address.

Again if he connects using FM Pro 13 its fine.  FM GO connection is fine as well, unless if u try to connect to FM GO using our IP address.  FM GO works with any other IP address.  but not the IP address that it is actually hosted on for some reason.

Since it works perfectly fine with any other IP address other than ours I was wondering if this is even possible.

• 4. Re: FM GO connect with internal IP
                wimdecorte

marcs wrote:

when i am pulling a IP address from my business (on the same network that FM is hosted on) FM says that it can't connect to the server (There is nothing to show)

But when i take Wi-Fi off and pull a different IP address from anywhere than FM GO works perfectly. 

This is very confusing, I'm afraid.  The last sentence: you're changing two things so that makes it hard to figure out what is happening.

"an IP address from my business" - I don't know what you mean by this.  Can you give more specific examples  with real IP addresses (leave off the last two octects for security reasons) so that we can sort of figure out what you are doing?

• 5. Re: FM GO connect with internal IP
                  marcs

my business's IP address is 72.167.XXX.XXX and if I use that IP FM GO cannot connect

but if i use any other IP it works.

Sorry im really bad at explaining. So if im in my business with the 72.167.XXX.XXX it doesn't work. But i can turn my WI-FI off thus pulling a outside IP with 3G with an address of like 105.25.XXX.XXX, I would still be in my business, but since im 105.25.XXX.XXX and not 72.167.XXX.XXX it will work.

When i turn my WI-FI back on i go back to my business's IP 72.167.XXX.XXX and it goes back to not being able to locate the server.

I understand that this is suppose to be a mobile type application, and what I am asking isn't really what the FM GO app is designed to do.  (Im assuming its designed to be able to use your file maker server on the go, as in outside your business, which again my filemaker server does do that just fine) its just that this guy needs access to it in the business and as of right know has access to wi-fi only.

He does not have the ability to pull a wireless (3G) signal thus getting a IP address that is different from the business's IP address 72.167.XXX.XXX and where he is situated he doesn't have the ability to directly connect to a switch to use a normal FM PRO 13 client.

If this is a case where the app just wasn't designed to do this i will just like drill holes so i can get him directly connected to a switch.

So basically what i am trying to say is FM GO will work with any IP address, other than my business IP address.

Which would of been fine and perfect, until this guy decided to set up shop where he has no access to anything.