1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2015 6:06 AM by Markus Schneider

It's 2015, can we get a "Feature Requests" section added to this forum?

jgalt

Rather than ask users to submit their feature requests directly to FileMaker using a submission form, why don't you guys just add a Feature Request section to this forum?

This would be of great benefit to both FileMaker and the FileMaker community for two main reasons.

1.) It would prevent users from wasting their time typing up a detailed feature request for ideas that have already been submitted.

2.) It would allow other users to vote on the feature requests (and add their ideas to it) so FileMaker could see what features users really want/need.

Here are two good examples of how such a system could be implemented:

cPanel: Feature Request Guidelines

cPanel Feature Requests

Zopim Customer Care : Feature Request

• 1. Re: It's 2015, can we get a "Feature Requests" section added to this forum?
          Mike_Mitchell

Given the number of times a given question is asked multiple times on the forum, I seriously doubt #1 would work very well.

And since FMI can see multiple requests come in on the existing feature request submission, that really takes care of #2. And they don't have to monitor two locations.

Don't really see the benefit.

• 2. Re: It's 2015, can we get a "Feature Requests" section added to this forum?
            Mike Duncan

You could submit a feature request for this.

• 3. Re: It's 2015, can we get a "Feature Requests" section added to this forum?
              jgalt

Mike_Mitchell wrote:

Given the number of times a given question is asked multiple times on the forum, I seriously doubt #1 would work very well.

And since FMI can see multiple requests come in on the existing feature request submission, that really takes care of #2. And they don't have to monitor two locations.

Don't really see the benefit.

I am surprised that you do not see the benefit. The current system of submitting individual feature requests that are not publicly accessible to other users is an inconsiderate waste of our time. Are you really telling me that you would rather waste (10, 20, 30 minutes of your time) submitting a feature request that has already been submitted a hundred times before?

They won't have to monitor two locations. What I am suggesting would replace the current feature request submission form, the place where all good ideas go to die.

• 4. Re: It's 2015, can we get a "Feature Requests" section added to this forum?
                jgalt

Mike Duncan wrote:

You could submit a feature request for this.

We all no how effective that is.

• 5. Re: It's 2015, can we get a "Feature Requests" section added to this forum?
                  Mike_Mitchell

They won't have to monitor two locations. What I am suggesting will replace the current feature request submission form, where all good ideas go to die.

On what do you base that assertion?

FMI has publicly stated on many occasions that they monitor and catalog feature request submissions, and implement many of them. You may not be aware of that, but it's true nonetheless.

Not all requests are implemented (for a variety of reasons), but that doesn't mean they're ignored. Changing the means of submission won't change that.

Are you really telling me that you would rather waste (10, 20, 30 minutes of your time) submitting a feature request that has already been submitted?

As opposed to "wasting time" responding to a forum post doing the exact same thing - "Me too! Me too!" ?

Meh. The forum method actually suppresses the independence of the requests, as people think, "Oh, someone else already asked, so I won't." FMI doesn't get a true sense of how many people want the feature because of that situation, so it actually may create a false sense of how widespread the need is.

Would rather keep it the way it is.

• 6. Re: It's 2015, can we get a "Feature Requests" section added to this forum?
                    coherentkris

2.) It would allow other users to vote on the feature requests (and add their ideas to it) so FileMaker could see what features users really want/need.

IMHO voting would have little impact. FM is a business not a democracy.

• 7. Re: It's 2015, can we get a "Feature Requests" section added to this forum?
                      jgalt

Mike_Mitchell wrote:

On what do you base that assertion?

Two decades of experience submitting feature requests.

Mike_Mitchell wrote:

Meh. The forum method actually suppresses the independence of the requests, as people think, "Oh, someone else already asked, so I won't." FMI doesn't get a true sense of how many people want the feature because of that situation, so it actually may create a false sense of how widespread the need is.

Call me crazy, but I would rather spend a few seconds to click an "up vote" to show my support for a feature request than waste my time typing what others have already submitted many times before. I cannot think of a better and more immediate way for FileMaker to get a "true sense" of what users really want.

• 8. Re: It's 2015, can we get a "Feature Requests" section added to this forum?
                        Mike_Mitchell

This reply is, I think, getting down to the core of the issue. You've submitted some number of feature requests and haven't heard any feedback and haven't seen them implemented. You're frustrated by this and are looking for some sort of change so you can get some feedback from your requests.

That's understandable.

But the simple truth is, FMI is, as Kris says, a business. They have to evaluate feature requests on a number of angles:

1) User base need

2) Technological feasibility

3) Cost / investment

4) Return on investment

5) Market appeal

6) Suitability for platform

7) Availability of resources to implement

8) Others I haven't thought of

Note that any "voting" done by users is applicable only to item (1) and, maybe, item (5). To go over every feature request and explain why it does or doesn't fit the others to the user base, and, even more, to explain where it fits in the product development schedule, would not only consume valuable resources that would be better spent on actual product development, it would likely require divulging product development / direction proprietary information that might compromise FileMaker's marketability.

IOW, while I sympathize with your need to "hear back", the sheer volume of requests, combined with business needs on FMI's end, renders it unlikely that simply changing the method for submitting requests will improve your satisfaction with the "black hole" into which feature requests appear to disappear.

Rest assured, every request is reviewed and evaluated. You are being listened to, even when it seems like you aren't.

• 9. Re: It's 2015, can we get a "Feature Requests" section added to this forum?
                          jgalt

coherentkris wrote:

IMHO voting would have little impact. FM is a business not a democracy.

And as a business there is a need to know what your customers want so you do not lose them to your competition.

If you agree you can click that little "like button" below this post so we can earn our little badges. Ya know, the important stuff.

• 10. Re: It's 2015, can we get a "Feature Requests" section added to this forum?
                            jgalt

Mike_Mitchell wrote:

This reply is, I think, getting down to the core of the issue. You've submitted some number of feature requests and haven't heard any feedback and haven't seen them implemented. You're frustrated by this and are looking for some sort of change so you can get some feedback from your requests.

No, you've got it all wrong. I don't give a flip about getting feedback. All I want is FileMaker to fix what is broken with their software and improve it at a faster pace than they have shown us over the the past two decades. I would like to see them put a little more creativity into new features and overhaul problem areas of their product that are causing countless developers to waste countless hours of their time. The relationship graph would be a good place to start. Universal layouts and navigation would be another.

• 11. Re: It's 2015, can we get a "Feature Requests" section added to this forum?
                              Mike_Mitchell

In my 25 years of working with FileMaker, I have repeatedly seen them implement features I've wanted, and have seen community demand for. Script Triggers was a good example. The Relationships Graph was another. So were memory variables. ExecuteSQL? Server-side scripting? There are plenty of others.

I see no reason to believe that changing the format for submitting feature requests would improve the variables you're complaining about. Seems to me, this is really an effort to garner support for some specific feature requests for things you think are "broken" and want FileMaker to fix, and you think having a forum area would allow you to rally the troops for that purpose, despite my (and Kris) having explained to you already that public voting doesn't drive FileMaker's development schedule (at least not solely).

Personally, I would rather FMI spend their personnel resources doing actual development work than policing some sort of mob-rule voting system for feature requests. And that development work includes taking their time making sure the features aren't bug-laden when they come out (even though there has been a somewhat spotty record in that area at times, speeding up the cycle wouldn't help).

But hey, you asked for everyone's opinion, and that's mine. It's worth exactly what you paid for it.  

• 12. Re: It's 2015, can we get a "Feature Requests" section added to this forum?
                                ibrahim_bittar

Well, "fix" depends on what you think is broken , and what they think is broken. It's a matter of point of view.

Some people may think that FM is broken because is doesn't work like MySQL, for example.

I can say that they really do listen because I've seen some of my requests implemented, in fact, I've had person-to-person meetings with the engineering team to address requests or problems. I remember having a conversation with the product manager about having plugins for FileMaker Go and why it's not possible.

Can FileMaker be improved?, of course. Can it be changed to do something different?, yes but it's a risky move. Business owners hate that word.

The use case where FileMaker shines and looks like magic is when someone who has an IT problem and knows nothing about programming takes FM and creates a solution to solve his problem, without help. A crappy solution if you want, but he solved his problem. That's FMI's bread and butter, not us.

We as professional developers are the ones who keep pushing the edge, we keep telling them that they can do better. But don't forget that we (the professional developers) are not FMI's target market. They value us but their product is not targeted at us.

• 13. Re: It's 2015, can we get a "Feature Requests" section added to this forum?
                                  jormond

jgalt,

Having watched the forums here for years, those threads just end in mob-debate and mudslinging. Many requests I see talked about on the forums now are really about someone wanting FileMaker to do something for them. Not that it can't already be done, it's just not a "black-box" feature. You have to code/program it in yourself. How dare they!!! lol

In the end, FileMaker isn't losing out to it's competition. Even with the distribution advantage that Access has ( at least a perceived one ), FM is still growing. More users every year, sales are strong. They have done well for a long time and keeping relevant. Even if that means not being cutting edge. Cutting edge is often bad for software. Especially when those cutting edge trends fizzle out after a few months or a year. Tons of $$$ dumped into development/research, just to drop a feature that no one uses anymore. That is the reason FM is slow and careful about what they implement...Kudos to them for that.

While your idea sounds fun, a good debate can be a hoot, in the grand scheme is doesn't help the platform. In other platforms and development environments, it tends to just cause fragmentation. ( Example: Android, Linux, etc )

• 14. Re: It's 2015, can we get a "Feature Requests" section added to this forum?
                                    schamblee

I am new to Filemaker (Not to Database development), I started with filemaker 12 and I submitted feature request and some have been ignored and others have not.  I submitted a request for the different type keyboards on Filemaker Go, and I'm sure I was 1 of 100s that submitted the same request.  I believe  that the feature request forms are taken very seriously.  It's more money for them to listen to their customers.   If you have a feature you like, start a discussion and add a feature request link to it.

1 2 3 Previous Next