You'll no doubt get replies from users with far more experience than myself, but I just wanted to mention that I had similar experience. Filemaker would frequently freeze, and all I know for sure was that it often was associated with slide menus and pop ups. I posted in the 'Report and issue" section of the filemaker tech support forum (Report an issue . Bug Report . FileMaker Forums).
After a great deal of experimentation with some guidance from TSgal, I was able to isolate the exact action that preceded the freeze. TSgal was able to replicate the issue and sent the bug to the development team.
- This always occurred when opening a Pop-over with a Checkbox Field (See Screenshot)
- Occurs both on my Local CPU and when accessing the File via FileMaker Server Advanced 13.
What happens if you remove the pop-over and recreate it from scratch?
Are you using any plugins? Does it always happen on the same record or on any record?
Have you updated to the most recent FM13 version?
Great observation and that is exactly what I did.
This Design Pattern required four separate fields and two relationships.
I deleted all the fields and recarated them and recreated the relationships.
That, indeed, seems, to have worked.
However, I failed to identify anything I did different in coding and logic when recreating.
I actually thought at one point I had a problem with my mouse.
Yes, my mouse.
I have a fancy Microsoft Performance MX Mouse with a number of functions programmed to facilitate FileMaker development (Group, Ungroup, Browse, Layout, Open Dialogs, etc.)
Because the behavior was no mouse clicks work in FMP and FMP only.
However, determined that was not a problem.
I will try to track down your referral.
Do you have any script triggers attached to the pop-over?
You can try to change your theme to "Classic" and then change it again to your regular theme.
I had some issues like yours and they were solved like this.
Thanks for getting back to me.
BTW: I am using the latest version of FMP 13 Advanced.
I do not have a Script Trigger attached to the popover.
However I do have a ST attached to the Checkbox field embedded within the popover.
I mentioned I replicated everything, including the popover, and that solved (at least for now) my problem with the same TS.
I will experiment in original file.
BTW: I should mention that I have had this experience on two different workstations (at my client, and at home).
And, one thing that is common, is that this phenomena seems to occur after some hours of rather intense coding and layout design.
That never would have occurred to me.
Have there been instances of aberrant behaviors in FMP 13 related to Themes.
I have a rather large custom theme thought based originally on the Wave Theme.
Oh! and BTW - No plugins.
You might try opening the popover while the script debugger is running to see if it is an issue with a script.
Since deleting the fields and re-creating them seems to have solved this, the issue may have been caused by some corruption. Which may have be resolved when you deleted the fields.
If you want to check this, you can take a copy of the file and run it through the recover process. If the file is ok you will get a message that FileMaker created a new file without detecting any problems. If it detects problems then take a look at the log file.
If you have a copy from before removing the fields, it may be worth checking this version of the file as well as the current version.
It may be too late for this, since you have already done some rebuilding, but I mention it anyway in case it helps still. Another test you could run is to place the field that is on the popover, complete with its Script Trigger, somewhere on the layout proper instead of on a popover. If the problem persists then it must be associated with the field or the script. If the problem goes away it must be to do with the popover.
Good thought and I followed your instruction.
No problems detected
Don't forget to check your hard disk for corruption, it's the first thing I do when Filemaker goes weird on a Mac and often some kind of directory problem is found and fixed:
Good idea and can't hurt.
Will update with results.