AnsweredAssumed Answered

Displaying next highest number in a field

Question asked by curtin.trend on Jan 20, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 22, 2015 by curtin.trend

Hi all,

I am just starting out in Filemaker and am about 3 days into it. I am making a database for our ancient DNA samples. Each sample has an AD# for each bone, eggshell etc and then each DNA extract taken from that has a different MB#, and there can be multiple extract numbers for each sample. The lab work is not always done sequentially and whilst it is easy to find the next sample number, finding the next extract number can be difficult as it may be anywhere in the spreadsheet/database. I have made a form up with a field for AD# and a field for MB# which can have multiple numbers separated by a comma (e.g. 267, 1678, 1899).

I want to make fields entitled "next AD#" and "next MB#" which will display a constant number that is the next highest number and will update once that is used (I think that this should be a global field for that purpose). I have tried searching for some methods to do this and haven't been able to get anything to work! Can someone please give me a walkthrough with specific details of menu/steps to do as some of the things I have read assume a familiarity with the program and processes which I don't have!

Cheers,

James

Outcomes