14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2015 3:03 AM by NickLightbody

Not much Jiving going on here

NickLightbody

I have held back from commenting on the new List/Forum/Community "powered by Jive"  because none of us like change, just like our own clients' staff, we find it is unwelcome having to learn new stuff when we have spent years getting used to a previous system.

However, after more than a month I feel able to comment with a degree of confidence.

I note that in its own words:

"Jive is the leading provider of modern communication and collaboration solutions for business."

and that

"Millions of users across the private and public sectors depend on Jive every day to keep their information safe and drive mission-critical business processes. That’s why we’ve taken a no-compromises approach to security, privacy and availability that combines best-of-breed technology, a highly trained and experienced staff, adherence to the strictest standards in the industry and the flexibility to meet diverse customer requirements."

So after due diligence I have no doubt that FMI believed they were buying into a leading product which would enable them to run their on-line community using industry standard software as opposed to clunking along reinventing the wheel. No doubt in their procurement contract FMI insisted that Jive agree to meet certain standards of performance which I would assume they are currently failing to meet?

So - I would assume that Jive are very keen indeed to get this sorted.

No doubt the new system will get better as its setup is adjusted to improve matters but the starting point is that it is undoubtedly unacceptably slow - every comment I have seen - especially folk outside North America - seems to agree on this. So as it is 2 - 5 times slower than the previous system - depending on where you are located AND the navigation / design is pretty poor - in that it is difficult to find what you want - it appears that two things now require to be done:

(1) the hosting needs sorting out so that users receive a fast as opposed to a slow service

(2) as we are now officially a "Community" this site should be used as method of consulting with the community about how the design/setup of the site can be improved to suit the members of the community better - so a special forum /discussion list - a set of discussions on the key issues commenced by Matt and a proper dialogue so that this thing can go forward with confidence that the changes that the supplier is asked to implement are the right ones. Since the membership of this community contains many folk who professionally design excellent user interfaces and navigation systems in many countries it cannot be beyond the ability of this community to put our friends at FMI back on the right track - can it?

Cheers, Nick

• 1. Re: Not much Jiving going on here
          gdurniak

Our Community College had a similar problem 2 years ago, when they switched to Disqus for their Blog

Every update of Disqus made performance worse

But email comments directly to Disqus were answered,  and a year later,  the performance was finally reasonable ( they actually did not realize there was a problem )

Perhaps you could try the same with Jive

https://www.jivesoftware.com/about-jive/contact/

greg

• 2. Re: Not much Jiving going on here
            NickLightbody

You mean every member of this community should contact Jive direct - that really isn't a bad idea!

Good thinking! Nick

• 3. Re: Not much Jiving going on here
              taylorsharpe

Yes, FileMaker's Jive solution is slow and/or seems to have a lot of overhead.  It actually feels like WebDirect.  It is usable, but feels sluggish and it would be nice if it would work faster.  Regarding navigation, that is up to the local FileMaker development team to improve navigation and I would not consider a Jive problem. 

I went to the www.jivesoftware.com web page and went clicking around in different discussions and places on their web site and it is a very responsive web page using their software.  You click and response is very quick.  Try it yourself and see what you think.  It makes me wonder why the FileMaker Jive solution is slow.  Is it on minimal hardware?  Was there something poorly done in the coding?  Or is there some big feature FileMaker has implemented that is bloating things and slowing it down.  Whatever it is, it is apparent that you can have a Jive system that responds much more quickly than the FileMaker one. 

• 4. Re: Not much Jiving going on here
                NickLightbody

I have contacted Jive as attached

Nick

• 5. Re: Not much Jiving going on here
                  gdurniak

Not so sure

The Jive site looks like Wordpress

greg

>I went to the www.jivesoftware.com web page and went clicking around in different discussions and places on their web site and it is a very responsive web page using their software

• 6. Re: Not much Jiving going on here
                    beverly

One thing to remember in THIS forum, the admins have chosen to turn on (or off) features that may or may not be seen in other "jive-driven" forums. If you navigate to your link in the header, you'll see the drop-down show "Jive Help". Peruse it if you have nothing else to to.

As for "slowness", that can be a lot of factors beyond Jive and/or FMI control. But I agree, there does seem to be a huge slowness. I find the same thing with FB, btw (awefully slow these days). Once there is enourmous countent, the pure rendering of the pages can be terribly slow. I find the "slowness" to be related to any JS (showing pop up windows content, for example). So that's partially the code.

However, mostly I use the email feature to read and add comments. Don't login, don't see the slowness...

• 7. Re: Not much Jiving going on here
                      NickLightbody

hmmm - a menu list 717 rows long suggests a certain lack of something - perhaps a slight lack of focus - all things to all people?

Nick

• 8. Re: Not much Jiving going on here
                        ayescas

I was exploring the idea of using Jive for our small office, but someone mentioned the cost for a small deployment would be at least 25k and the learning curve, not thanks.  Going to look into the following:  Enterprise Social Networking | Socialcast

• 9. Re: Not much Jiving going on here
                          NickLightbody

Alejandro

Option 1: OSX Server includes a good Wiki App etc

Option 2: write it yourself in FileMaker?

If you want something fast and easy to use it needs to be elegant and well designed and not include tons of stuff you don't need - Jive looks like it has lots and lots of stuff and hence has become perhaps a little blotted and slow?

The Jive Help available in your personal pop up menu on this site has 717 lines of help items!

Cheers, Nick

• 10. Re: Not much Jiving going on here
                            ayescas

Thanks Nick....Jive does feel like information overload for sure.  We simply like the sharing of files and the messaging options.  I’m sure we can develop this with CWP and a global field.  For us less is better. 

Did filemaker have to use an outside vendor (jive) because filemaker can only handle 100 web users ?

• 11. Re: Not much Jiving going on here

I also have written to Jive - but I fear that they will not answer or feel responsible. It normally has to be the client, here: Filemaker Inc., who has to complain about the service he booked.

But obviuously Filemaker does not do this as the absolute slowness of the site has not changed after so many weeks. Though someone has assured to have a look into that after I complained in the first days about that.

Could someone from Filemaker answer to this topic?

• 12. Re: Not much Jiving going on here
                                NickLightbody

I have just noticed 1 fast feature of our new Jiving Community!

The text filter on the main "Content" page is very fast - great!

Now I can find stuff easily...but...wait...the search doesn't cover user's names :-(

Please can our Community Administrator  (or should they now be termed our Mayor or Chief?)

(1) add all the contributors names to the text searched by the text filter?

(2) change the "author" (originator) in the Contents page to refer to the person who contributed most recently - this will make it much easier to check on contributions from folk whose opinions one values - no I don't want to "follow" all those folk but I do want to see when they have something to say - this makes more efficient use of my valuable time.

Cheers, Nick

• 13. Re: Not much Jiving going on here
                                  NickLightbody
                                  MESSAGE to ADMIN:  Problems using the community today:  (1) Creating a new discussion appears to be broken - tried three times and it doesn't post. (2) The new entry field now contains a para open and close tag (3) the reply field starts the size of a postage stamp  Cheers, Nick
                                  • 14. Re: Not much Jiving going on here
                                    NickLightbody
                                    And paras in one's text have disappeared unless one tags them. Cheers, Nick