5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2015 11:19 AM by wimdecorte

Image populates container from dynamic text prompt?

owenlucas

Making a restaurant kitchen stock database. When typing the 'item' I need corresponding image to go into container. Can this be dynamic?

Thanks,

Owen

• 1. Re: Image populates container from dynamic text prompt?
          mikebeargie

Sure, you can do it as a lookup from a table of images based on a relationship of item name.

Or just show the related image.

Or use a script trigger to lookup and place the image you need.

• 2. Re: Image populates container from dynamic text prompt?
            wimdecorte

Where would the image come from?  Do you already have a table where a record exists with "item" and its corresponding picture?

and you are selecting "items" in another table?

• 3. Re: Image populates container from dynamic text prompt?
              owenlucas

Thanks for the help fellas (I'm pretty new to this!)

Yeah, that sounds perfect. The client starts typing (eg) "carro..." and the corresponding images pops into the container (from my folder).

So I'd need to create a new table for this...?

Do you know of an online tutorial for me to follow this one through...?

Thanks again!

OL

• 4. Re: Image populates container from dynamic text prompt?
                mikebeargie

make a products table.

populate that with records containing item names and images.

relate that to your main table with a relationship of main::itemName = products::itemName

create a container field main::itemPhoto

set the auto-enter options for “looked-up value”, to look-up the products::itemPhoto (starting with table “main” get related value from “products”)

this will only work if the name of the item is entered exactly to match what’s in the products table. This would be easy to check for by creating a value list based on the products::itemName field, and then under the validation tab for main::itenName, set it to require that the value is part of that value list.

If this stuff isn’t making sense to you, it might be wise to invest in some mentoring from an FBA trainer to help explain it.

• 5. Re: Image populates container from dynamic text prompt?
                  wimdecorte

Mike Beargie wrote:

this will only work if the name of the item is entered exactly to match what’s in the products table.

That's easy to set up but not real good in terms of maintaining a proper relationship.  I'd probably do something just a little more complex but more safe:

give the user a list view of the products table, have a search field for the product name and filter the list based on matching products.  The user can then select the item in the list.  The script will take the product ID over to your destination table and from there the rest is the same as Mike describes but the relationship is now built on the product ID, not the fragile name.

How to present the list to filter is just a UI exercise to make it easy and intuitive.