7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2015 6:49 PM by sumware

Java 7 changes from 20 Jan 2015

sumware

It appears Oracle have changed the behaviour of Java 7 from 20 Jan 2014. It appears that J7 will now automatically update.

Client has FMS12 (can't update to 13 despite owning it) on Windows 2k8 which now won't stop updating Java every night. The last supported Java version for FileMaker Server 12 is J7u71, however this automatically updates to J7u75, which breaks the console. The update process also shuts down the FileMaker Server (in an orderly fashion, as it happens).

Oracle appear to have also removed the update tab from the Java control panel on 64 bit windows for Java 7.

Anyone else seeing issues here or have solutions?

Thanks

Rob

• 1. Re: Java 7 changes from 20 Jan 2015
          mikebeargie

I always blocked jusched.exe, the java update scheduler, from being able to run on any of my windows systems.

That sounds pretty low, even for java, auto-updating programs on server edition OS is a terrible thing, and I have to think that there's some way around it.

• 2. Re: Java 7 changes from 20 Jan 2015
            sumware
            Thanks Mike. Interestingly, there is no jusched.exe on that machine. Bizarre.
            • 3. Re: Java 7 changes from 20 Jan 2015
              jdbranum

Rob,

Last week I manually updated my test server to the latest version 7u76, both 64 bit and 32 bit versions, and have experienced no problems yet with any of the services that use Java, including the console.  I manually stopped the FileMaker Service before installing the update.  My server is Windows 2008 Server R2, virtualized in VMWare vSphere. 

FYI, I installed the 32-bit version because some plugins I was using it required it, but may not now be needed with latest updates. 

The Java Updater is located in the following path on my server:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update

There are two settings files located in this folder that control the update processes, which appear to run only when a user logs in by default settings and also only if the internet is available.  These are: task.xml and task64.xml.  Perhaps changing the settings from True to False will stop the automatic updating, at least until these files are likely replaced by the next update.  My server is normally blocked from the internet until I manually open a session with our company's security software, which explains why my system has not been updating automatically when I open a user session (via Remote Desktop Connection).

James Branum

Internal Developer

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

• 4. Re: Java 7 changes from 20 Jan 2015
                mikebeargie

You might want to restart your adminserver via the command line to see if that remedies the admin console:

FMSADMIN RESTART adminserver

• 5. Re: Java 7 changes from 20 Jan 2015
                  sumware
                  Hi Mike, tried that :) Fortunately, the command line is responsive so we can keep it going on a day to day basis (quicker to use the command line for most things anyway!).
                  • 6. Re: Java 7 changes from 20 Jan 2015
                    sumware
                    OK James, that's good to know. It is clear that there is suddenly something clearly going on with Java, so I'm a fan of wiping it, and FileMaker Server and clean re-installing both.  I'll have a look at those XML files.  Java _was_ set to not update, but clearly it has a mind of it's own. I've pasted a snippet from the Java web site regarding changes from 20 Jan 2015. Note that Oracle have inserted a secondary update mechanism!  Rob   Java 7 Update 71 (7u71)  Release Highlights IANA Data 2014c JDK 7u71 contains IANA time zone data version 2014c. For more information, refer to Timezone Data Versions in the JRE Software. Java Expiration Date The expiration date for 7u71 is January 20, 2015. Java expires whenever a new release with security vulnerability fixes becomes available. For systems unable to reach the Oracle Servers, a secondary mechanism expires this JRE (version 7u71) on February 20, 2015.
                    • 7. Re: Java 7 changes from 20 Jan 2015
                      sumware

clearly, the forum lost the formatting there!