1 2 3 4 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2015 6:34 AM by matthew_odell

New FileMaker Community?

taylorsharpe

I received the email from FileMaker about the "New Filemaker Community" this morning and see when I go to the old FileMaker.com/technet link, it doesn't go right here, but instead gives a choice of several things like training, etc.  Also, it looks like the whole FileMaker web site changed too.  So I'm just playing around with it, but if anyone knows more about what and what new things to look for, let us know!

• 1. Re: New FileMaker Community?
          ourcalling

The biggest change I see is the blatant "An Apple Subsidiary" under the Filemaker name on the home page.

It was subtle before, now it is an advertisement.

• 2. Re: New FileMaker Community?
            taylorsharpe

The "An Apple Subsidiary" seemed to be something new a lot of people pointed out at Devcon.  It is interesting that the header on this page just says "Community".  Then again, maybe they haven't gotten around to changing it. 

I guess this opens the question of whether this means Apple is going to start getting more involved in FileMaker business development.  Maybe encouraging more Apple focused development like with Swift or better product integration with mobile devices.  Some things sound positive such as maybe giving FileMaker more info about future operating systems, then again, sometimes the parent company meddling in the subsidiaries business can mess things up too. 

• 3. Re: New FileMaker Community?
              lkeyes

Yep...wondering if the technet developer forums are now consolidated with the user forums? 

--- L 

• 4. Re: New FileMaker Community?
                mbraendle

I'm definitely not fond of that they make user names public. Also, guests can search a name and e-mail addresses of old posts are revealed to the public. A huge break of privacy!

• 5. Re: New FileMaker Community?
                  mbraendle

My privacy settings are set to Everyone (so no not-logged-in Guests) for the profile images:

privacy_setting.png

But the profile image is shown in public at several places:

public_image.png

public_post_and_image.png

Also the e-mail address of old posts is exposed!

public_search_results.png

Who is responsible for that?!

• 6. Re: New FileMaker Community?
                    mbraendle

matthew_odell, Michaelv, who changed this policy without informing us? Please clarify!

• 7. Re: New FileMaker Community?
                      PaulTurnbull

I don't have any problem with user names being public, I usually assume they are. I don't see any evidence email addresses are visible at all. For example I can't see yours whether I'm logged in or not.

• 8. Re: New FileMaker Community?
                        mbraendle

Look at my screen shots.

They introduced a new group: Everyone (Guest).

Although my privacy settings are configured that this group (of which I assume that these are not-logged-in users) can't see my profile pictures, they are visible to it. And can possibly be harvested by a Web robot.

Also old posts exhibit my e-mail address (although not valid anymore).

How can this platform be trusted?

• 10. Re: New FileMaker Community?
                          JayGonzales

Thanks John. That was helpful for me, and as I share this info with my co-worker developers, to encourage them to participate.

I'm already writing this as "FMC" for short. Too much typing to write "FileMaker Community" every time. Click "Like" if anyone agrees.

• 11. Re: New FileMaker Community?
                            jbante

That's what TextExpander is for. Alternately, if you're cheap, you could set up the snippet in System Preferences > Keyboard > Text (Mac).

• 12. Re: New FileMaker Community?
                              preambleproject

Heck, I'm a rank Noob--but I got not one but TWO invitations. And I don't find an explanation in FM's user guide, fmp13 the missing manual, or the "extensive but printed in really teeny, tiny small type so 72-year-olds can't read the type--which is colored middle grey, not black, just to add camphor to the flames.

Buttons and a mysterious blue line: Right now I'm perplexed by what the dickens this blue line is, a vertical, that shows up when I "draw" a new button on a layout. I get a rectangle with all the handles, in b&w, and then this bright blue (guideline blue) vertical that touches top of the box, with a square, bottom of the box, with a circle, and a connector, flexible line, inbetween.  You can't define the line and drag the whole "dumbbell" someplace else. You can only grab one end at a time, and swing it around. Release that, and grab the other end, and swing that around. And stretch to any length.  You can thus "walk" this little critter around the layout.

And if "show buttons" is checked, this line does NOT show up.  Was gibt?

But what is it for? Where is it described? What's It All About, Alfie?  Heuristic examination has thus far produced no result/conclusion, WTF  (which I'm told means Wait 'Til Friday, right?

• 13. Re: New FileMaker Community?
                                preambleproject

I think it'd be nice if Apple went back to Silver Surfer--or maybe Laurent's 4D--never did get my whole brain around that one. Did ACIUS retreat to Paris and just ACI/Fourth Dimension???  blast from the past.

• 14. Re: New FileMaker Community?
                                  Stephen Huston

I've been a member for years, and in the last 24 hours I got 3 email invitations to join!

[ Hey FMI, if you need help figuring out how to check existing member email addresses against other email lists to avoid duplication, I can show you how in FMPro.]

1 2 3 4 Previous Next