4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2015 10:39 PM by erolst

Filemaker 11 Question on extracting portal information to an email

loz

Filemaker 11 Question: I would like to send an email capturing information from a portal but it is only capturing the first line item and not all the list of job items. Is there something I should be putting in the calculation for it to pick up all?

• 1. Re: Filemaker 11 Question on extracting portal information to an email
          erolst

loz wrote:

Filemaker 11 Question: I would like to send an email capturing information from a portal but it is only capturing the first line item and not all the list of job items. Is there something I should be putting in the calculation for it to pick up all?

Generic answer: use List() to get a list of list of job items; if necessary, transform the resulting list into a line by using e.g.

Substitute ( List ( Jobs::items ) ; ¶ ; ", " )

This assumes that your portal isn't filtered.

If you need a more specific answer, provide more detail.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 11 Question on extracting portal information to an email
            loz

Wonderful thank you

I have never used the e.g. function before so not quite sure how to format it

Wondering how you write it to list the following items (these are my field names):

:: WIP 3 Job Details

:: Job Bag Status

:: Requestor

:: Designer

:: startDate

:: endDate

I am only a beginner so this is all new and exciting! thank you for your help

• 3. Re: Filemaker 11 Question on extracting portal information to an email
              loz

So it looks like this in the email going out

Details for project P2921 Test Project Annual Reports <this comes from the Project file>

<Below comes from the portal in the project file>

JB32696 (653637 Test Project 1) 0615 Start date: 27/01/2015 End date: 27/01/2015

JB32697 (653638 Test Project 2) 0615 Start date: 27/02/2015 End date: 27/03/2015

• 4. Re: Filemaker 11 Question on extracting portal information to an email
                erolst

So you have multiple records with multiple fields … there are basically two approaches:

1. In the portal table, create a calculation field that concatenates the fields in question to desired result (e.g.

Let (

myList = List (

jobNo ;

Case ( not IsEmpty ( ProjectName ) ; "(" & ProjectName & ")" ) ; // use same check for other fields

"Start date: " & dateStart ;

"End date: " & dateEnd ;

"Status: " & Job Bag Status ;

"Requestor: " & Requestor

) ;

Substitute ( myList ; ¶ ; " " )

)

then List() that field.

Not sure which of your fields generated which part of the sample content, but you get the drift. If not, study text functions …

2. In your Send Mail script, add a section like the following to compile a list of job lines by looping through the portal rows:

# on the portal layout

If [ not isEmpty ( PortalTO::primaryKey ) // i.e., has related records ]

Go to Object [ "portalName" ]

Go to Portal Row [ first ]

Loop

Set Variable [ $currentLine ; calculation from above, now using the related version of the fields (i.e. PortalTO::jobNo etc.) ]

Set Variable [ $jobList ; List ( $jobList ; $currentLine ) ]

Go to Portal Row [ next ; exit after last ]

End Loop

End If

# reference $jobList in Send Mail step

Saves you an otherwise unnecessary calculation field.

loz wrote:

this is all new and exciting!

Isn't it just!