1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2015 1:16 AM by RayCologon

[ANN] FileMaker Master Classes - 2015

RayCologon

Building on the success of classes offered for the first time in Europe last year, an announcement has gone out today about a new series of three-day FileMaker Master Classes offered from March to June 2015 in:

• San Francisco (March 2015)

• Berlin (April 2015)

• London (April 2015

• Westport CT (May 2015)

• Sydney (May 2015)

• Tokyo (June 2015)

The classes are unashamedly targeted at advanced developers, and are packed with high level content ranging from designing for scalability, advanced development techniques, process control, FileMaker application and deployment models, solution design perspectives to code logic. From the 'brochure':

"These intensive three-day seminars are dedicated to expanding your knowledge and broadening your approach to FileMaker development."

Full details including event dates, pricing, locations, detailed content outlines and online registration can be found at:

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com/MasterClasses

The deadline for registrations for the first four locations (San Francisco, Berlin, London and Westport) is 23 February.

It would be great to see you at one of the events in this series!

• 1. Re: [ANN] FileMaker Master Classes - 2015
          mtwalker

Are there any prerequisites for a course like this? What would qualify someone as "advanced"?

• 2. Re: [ANN] FileMaker Master Classes - 2015
            mrvanbeurden

First off, I would NOT consider myself an expert, but I know enough about FileMaker to understand what everybody was talking about. I attended Berlin FM Masterclass in 2014, and overall it was a great experience. I really learned a lot, even learning what other peoples troubles are, or even to know you are on the right track with your projects is a great learning experience.

Also getting to know fellow developers, and sharing knowledge was a great experience.

In my Opinion : Everybody who loves working with FileMaker, should attend Ray's Masterclass.

• 3. Re: [ANN] FileMaker Master Classes - 2015
              RayCologon

Todd Walker wrote:

Are there any prerequisites for a course like this? What would qualify someone as "advanced"?

Hi Todd,

To answer the first part of your question, there is no formal requirement for acceptance of registration - it's based on 'self selection', and if you have looked at the list of topics and think you might benefit you are welcome to sign on as a participant.

The second half of your question is perhaps best addressed by saying that the classes, by design, don't cover or repeat material that is readily available in various sources such as online help and the training series, nor the kind of skills and perspectives that would typically come from building a couple of reasonably complex solutions. Instead that accumulated knowledge is assumed and is the starting point for some deeper explorations  and discussions.

In that respect you do need to already be fairly well conversant with a majority of aspects of FileMaker development in order to get maximum benefit from the content of these sessions. The classes may still be of benefit to someone with intermediate skills, though not to the same degree, perhaps. So, to some extent, it's a personal judgement call.

Regards,

Ray

• 4. Re: [ANN] FileMaker Master Classes - 2015
                RayCologon

mrvanbeurden wrote:

First off, I would NOT consider myself an expert, but I know enough about FileMaker to understand what everybody was talking about. I attended Berlin FM Masterclass in 2014, and overall it was a great experience. I really learned a lot, even learning what other peoples troubles are, or even to know you are on the right track with your projects is a great learning experience.

Also getting to know fellow developers, and sharing knowledge was a great experience.

In my Opinion : Everybody who loves working with FileMaker, should attend Ray's Masterclass.

Hi Mathijs,

Good to see you here, and thanks for your comments.

Last year's class in Berlin was quite diverse, with people from five different countries there, as well as a range interests and levels of expertise. That made it a challenging and exciting event, and I enjoyed being part of it. Great to know that you remember it as a worthwhile three days!

All the best,

Ray

• 5. Re: [ANN] FileMaker Master Classes - 2015
                  beverly

Difficult to present a class for all levels, yes. But I say that those "experts" hearing basic stuff can still learn a thing or two and those "newbies" hearing complex stuff may not "get it" right away but will still absorb the concepts and have those "ah-ha" moments when they discover they use the methods they didn't understand when they heard them.

This is the same thing that happens at User Group meetings, on the forums, at the DevCon and anywhere the community "gathers".

I challenge all levels to go and you WILL get your money's worth!!

beverly

• 6. Re: [ANN] FileMaker Master Classes - 2015
                    jrenfrew

As someone who attended the London event last year I also got LOADS out of it. Some was specifics of the kind of developer tricks that make us all better ( i.e. quicker and better), some was more about what you learn from someone who has quite a different approach or business than yours. Part of our job to become 'advanced' developers must surely be to believe that no matter how far we might have progressed there might be times when it is helpful to go back to first principles and see if there is anything else to discover.

I can do nothing other than highly recommend it...

john

• 7. Re: [ANN] FileMaker Master Classes - 2015
                      RayCologon

Hi Folks,

A quick heads up that the venue for the Connecticut class has now been determined and is the CourtYard Marriott, 474 Main Avenue, Norwalk, CT 06851.

The location is about 15 mins away from the original location in Westport CT indicated previously, and is slightly closer to NYC.

The registration cost for the event doesn't include accommodation at the CourtYard Marriott, however I've queried whether discounted room rates will be offered for attendees at the event. I'll report back if I'm able to confirm that.

Meanwhile, the venue for the San Francisco class has also been confirmed as the Chancellor Hotel, Union Square, 433 Powell Street, San Francisco, CA 94102. I'm told that the Chancellor Hotel will offer participants a reduced room rate of $129 plus tax per night (however to get the discounted rate, accommodation must be booked by March 2nd).

Regards,

Ray

• 8. Re: [ANN] FileMaker Master Classes - 2015
                        mtwalker

I just signed up! I just hope my head doesn't explode. Thanks Ray for offering the class.

Anyone else going?

• 9. Re: [ANN] FileMaker Master Classes - 2015
                          RayCologon

Great Todd! I'll do my best to make it worth your while!

Meanwhile, for anyone thinking of joining us, a quick reminder that the deadline for registrations for the first four locations (San Francisco, Berlin, London and Westport) is the 23rd, which is fast approaching - so if this is of interest to you, there are only a few days left to confirm your place.

Also, fwiw, you will find a selection of comments from attendees at the previous classes (Europe, early 2014) at:

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com/MasterClasses/Comments.html

Along with the detailed content outlines (downloadable as .pdf from the info/registration pages), that should give you a fairly good idea what to expect!

Regards,

Ray

• 10. Re: [ANN] FileMaker Master Classes - 2015
                            RayCologon

For what it's worth, here are a couple of pictures taken at the master classes (London and Berlin respectively) last year:

LondonMasterClass_2014x800px.jpg

BerlinMasterClass_2014x800px.jpg

• 11. Re: [ANN] FileMaker Master Classes - 2015
                              RayCologon

As noted above, registration for the Master Classes in California, Germany, the UK and Connecticut was set to close later today.

Good news is that it's been agreed to extend the registration deadline by a further week, to 2 March, after which decisions will be made about the viability of each of the first four classes in the series. So, if these events are of interest to you, you have a further week from today to 'make it happen'.

Meanwhile, I'm told that a group discount rate is a possibility at the hotel in Norwalk, assuming most attendees want to stay in the Courtyard Marriott hotel where the class will take place. I don't have all the details as yet, but will post them once they're confirmed.

Regards,

Ray

• 12. Re: [ANN] FileMaker Master Classes - 2015
                                mtwalker

Per your earlier post the discounted rate for the Chancellor expires on March 2nd. Are they going to extend that in lieu of this change?

• 13. Re: [ANN] FileMaker Master Classes - 2015
                                  RayCologon

Hi Todd,

By now you should have received details from the organiser of the SF class answering your query about the hotel rate deadline.

However for anyone else who is thinking of registering, the discounted rate offer still expires on March 2nd, so you would need to book by then to take advantage of it. However I'm informed that the hotel's standard cancellation policy is 24 hours prior to arrival and there are no special restrictions on the discounted rate (you just have to mention the "FileMaker Master Class" when making your booking).

Regards,

Ray

• 14. Re: [ANN] FileMaker Master Classes - 2015
                                    RayCologon

In the last day or so, an interview in which I answer a range of questions about the Master Classes has been posted online at:

Interview with Ray Cologon | FileMakerHacks

Among other things, the interview addresses questions about the level of the content and the objectives of the class, which may be of interest to folk here.

Regards,

Ray

1 2 3 Previous Next