4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2015 7:04 PM by jared944

File path of Externally Stored Container

jared944

Hey everyone!

I have a question about obtaining a path of a container field that is stored externally. I want to create a container field that will have this path. I have seen a few references to the GetValue function, but it only seems to return the file name.

Specifically, I want to run a script that will use the path in a script that will attach the file as an email attachment.

Thanks!

Jared

• 1. Re: File path of Externally Stored Container
          beverly

how about the GetLayoutObjectAttribute on your container field? "content" for graphics returns

Image data such as the name of a file in a container field if the image is stored (in the field or externally), or the reference to the file if the image is unstored.

Yes, your container field object must be named for use with GetLayoutObjectAttribute().

beverly

• 2. Re: File path of Externally Stored Container
            wimdecorte

You are not supposed to touch the files directly like this.  FMI has warned about this a the last two devcons.

We need to interact with the container data by manipulating the container field, not trying to reach the files directly where they are stored on the hard drive.

One way of doing it is to use "export field contents" to export the container to the temp path and then use that as the attachment for your email.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: File path of Externally Stored Container
              Charlie_Cole

Speaking from experience here I can not stress enough how correct wimdecorte is on this.  Do you touch the files directly.  In our case we had an admin that logged in to the server and accessed some files and it then picked up his rights to the file for some reason and FMS no longer had access to some of the files.  So it looked like files would just disappear for no reason from FM but you could see them on the server.

Download them to a temp file and use them from there.

• 4. Re: File path of Externally Stored Container
                jared944

Thanks for the input!

I am currently exporting the container field contents into the temp folder, than linking that file as an email attachment. So, I suppose I am doing it the correct way. No changed planned, then.

Cheers,

Jared