1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 6:58 AM by muskee

Button objects in FileMaker

jurijn

Hi to everybody!

My question is: Why would someone instead of button objects use text objects in FM?

Are buttons bugy?

Do they impact on performance or are maybe "harder" to process than text objects?

I saw few threads about that problems. Some mentioned problems with showing them in Webdirect (browser solutin),

others critisize their "hiding functionality"....

I searched through discussions and googled a lot about that question and found nothing useful.
      By one project I saw that all the "normal" buttons are text objects.

I wonder why would someone make that, there must be some reason, I think??

Any opinion and experience appreciared. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Button objects in FileMaker
          mikebeargie

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking. Do you mean why would someone use a text box AS a button?

A good reason to use buttons is that they already have all button styling applied, like hover and click states.

In older versions of FM, button styling was severely limited, so a lot of developers used text boxes for greater control of style. In FM12 and 13 you really have a great amount of control though, so it's less of a big deal now.

I don't recall buttons ever being buggy, or not displaying correctly in WebDirect. There have been some WebDirect limitations with buttons that have an image background, but for native buttons, nothing.

What is your goal?

• 2. Re: Button objects in FileMaker
            wimdecorte

jurijn wrote:

My question is: Why would someone instead of button objects use text objects in FM?

Are buttons bugy?

Do they impact on performance or are maybe "harder" to process than text objects?

I saw few threads about that problems.

Like Mike, I've never heard of buttons being buggy.  You use a button when you want the thing to look like a button,  you use text when you don't want to have the thing look like a button (for instance: a clickable link)

No performance issues or bugginess that I'm aware of.

It would help if you would include links to the threads that you make you worry.

You seem to be searching for the oddest things based on your threads.  What is it that makes you investigate it?  What was the first thing that made you think that buttons could be buggy or impact performance?

• 3. Re: Button objects in FileMaker
              jurijn

By one project, that I am currently working on, are all the "buttons" in reality text objects.

For example a standard OK or CANCEL button...

FM solution consists of more than 200 layouts and that practice is used through all the layouts.
              That caused my worries.

One of the reason could be Mike's answer I think.

Solutin was probably developed a few years ago and later only converted to new supported version of FM.

• 4. Re: Button objects in FileMaker
                jurijn

Thanks Mike!

Solutin was probably developed a few years ago and later only converted to new supported version of FM.

I think that is the reason (limited button styling in older FM version) why there are still text objects used in place of native buttons.

• 5. Re: Button objects in FileMaker
                  wimdecorte

jurijn wrote:

e all the "buttons" in reality text objects.

For example a standard OK or CANCEL button...

FM solution consists of more than 200 layouts and that practice is used through all the layouts.
                  That caused my worries.

No need to worry.  Attaching a script to any object is really nothing more than handling the OnClick event.  So a script can be attached to any object.

The button object is nothing more than a nicely formatted object that automatically asks you to select a script.

• 6. Re: Button objects in FileMaker
                    Benjamin Fehr

It's always a matter of design. I use txt-object for general navigation purposes and icons for more specific tasks like Print.

For icons, keep on mind that the new screen standard will be 4k. I'ld recommend to proof resolution finally by zooming FMP to 400% to check.

• 7. Re: Button objects in FileMaker
                      wimdecorte

efficientbizz wrote:

For icons, keep on mind that the new screen standard will be 4k. I'ld recommend to proof resolution finally by zooming FMP to 400% to check.

Depends largely on the business area I would assume.  I don't see most clients shelling out money for 4k monitors for all their employees anytime soon.

• 8. Re: Button objects in FileMaker
                        Benjamin Fehr

wimdecorte:

when I started my main project many years ago, 14" Displays were standard. Some would pay extra to be first to own a 17" screen those days.

When this 4k display becomes standard for no extra costs in a couple of years, do you want to overhaul all yours layouts?

Sure you'll have plenty of work then, implementing all those great new features to come with FMP19

• 9. Re: Button objects in FileMaker
                          wimdecorte

efficientbizz wrote:

When this 4k display becomes standard for no extra costs in a couple of years, do you want to overhaul all yours layouts?

Sure you'll have plenty of work then, implementing all those great new features to come with FMP19

That's my point.  A few years away is a long time.  Design paradigms will shift, user's expectations will shift, the product will have no features...

Optimizing the layouts right now for 4K is - in my opinion - Premature Optimization

• 10. Re: Button objects in FileMaker
                            BruceHerbach

As others have already stated, the design paradigm has shifted a bit.  In older versions of FileMaker,  I would frequently convert a text box to a button.  There were also times when we layered in graphics to make the buttons look good.

Since 12 came out,  most of my buttons are standard FileMaker buttons with a text as the label.  This works well with Go and in 13 WebDirect.  There is less custom css so less data to download when displaying the screen.

With the exceptions of script errors on my part,  I have not found buttons to be buggy.  I do think that the new style features for buttons makes it much faster to develop.  Now I just draw a new button, attach the script or function and add a label.  This is a lot faster and less work then searching for the desired icon, sizing it, and then turning it into a button.

HTH

• 11. Re: Button objects in FileMaker
                              keywords

I agree with Bruce's approach. Further to: "This is a lot faster and less work then searching for the desired icon, sizing it, and then turning it into a button."—

With the new control over state (normal, hover, pressed, in focus) it is quite simple to incorporate an icon/icons into the design of a button so that you can have, for example, a yellow icon that turns blue when you mouse over it. If you work with the new style and theme controls you can do this once and then reuse it anywhere the theme is applied.

• 12. Re: Button objects in FileMaker
                                Markus Schneider

Buttons are not buggy. In some browsers, on iwp, clicking on buttons selected the text of the button instead of firing the button's function - but that was under FM12 and earlier.

There is another reason for using text as buttons: In a simple, sleek interface, buttons might be too 'big', too 'loud'.. So, if one wants to a have an interface with very simple elements, let the user concentrate to the content - 'Text as Button' becomes handy. Further on, the new iOS style has text as buttons as well

• 13. Re: Button objects in FileMaker
                                  preambleproject

Anyone know where the FMP13 button bezier tool is described, its function and use explained?

I discovered the effect of it by accident--switching something while a gradient (degradé in my lexicon). Then went on an unsuccessful search for a description. Not even in "the missing manual" did I find anything.

Also, is there a way now, like there used to be when we had the Macintosh data fork and resource fork to use something like ResEdit to list all the icons in play in any particular application?

BezierButton&TriggerIcon.jpg

I discovered this weird icon--suggesting no function I could think of (but then, I'm a rank newbie)--but a search pulled up an archived discussion of script icons with a little notes box icon, and an orange asterisk (sun?) indicating, in the manage scripts pane, a triggered script.  But my orange asterisk showed up at the bottom right corner of a Layout--and it had an additional bent-wire-looking squiggle. WTF?  (stands for Wait 'Til Friday, as we all know).

Ambiguous buttons:

Edit Layout

Exit Layout     all in tiny grey, not black, type--there's but a one-letter difference 'tween the two, and in the same char-position in the string. Sure, there are lots more widgets on the "status bar" after you click Edit Layout, so the newbie can guess

I'd love to get an illustrated list of any and all arcane icons, ambiguous buttons, etc., as I steep myself in the care & feeding of FMB13--before I go nuts wading through the "you can accomplish this same result in myriad ways, whether by click, right-click, menubar commands, triple-clicks ..... thicket."

bw

• 14. Re: Button objects in FileMaker
                                    Malcolm

The widget that has as circle at one end of a line and a square at the other is the user input tool for the button gradient. Use it to define the angle and position of the start and end points of the gradient.

The resources are pretty easy to get at. In the finder, control-click on an application and select "Show Package Contents" from the popup menu. Open the Contents folder and look for the Resources folder.

The orange asterisk with the weird squiggle you are looking at is the script trigger icon. It can be applied to any object that can carry a script trigger.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next