9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2015 10:56 PM by Benjamin Fehr

Import csv on iPad - Filemaker GO

laado

It can import csv files into FilemakerGo 13. Is it possible?

Thanx.

• 1. Re: Import csv on iPad - Filemaker GO
          mtwalker

FMGo only supports importing from another filemaker file.

• 2. Re: Import csv on iPad - Filemaker GO
            Benjamin Fehr

laid:

if you can get more specific, maybe there's a way for any workaround.

Is your solution running as stand-alone on the iPad or will it be connected to a host?

Todd:

is this for sure that FMGo only handles FM-Files or is this a assumption since the iOS file-management system is hard (if than) to understand?

Questions for any workaround would be, how to get file into iOS-Device.

I could think of transmission via a web server by GetFromURL into a container-field.

Next step might be to have the container exported to iOS /temporary-folder for re-import.

Anyway a interesting topic

• 3. Re: Import csv on iPad - Filemaker GO
              mtwalker

Refer to the FMGo development guide:

FileMaker Go Development Guide (for iPhone and iPad)

Page 10 under "Features not supported in Filemaker Go".

• 4. Re: Import csv on iPad - Filemaker GO
                Benjamin Fehr

I guess, laado is just looking for a one-time import. Though this is best done on the computer anyway.

If import has to be done on a frequently base, putting data in XML format on a web server, catch via GetfromURL into a global-field and extract with a virtual-list like routine

• 5. Re: Import csv on iPad - Filemaker GO
                  Mike_Mitchell

This can be accomplished via Perform Script on Server, or via a server-side script, if the file is hosted.

efficientbuzz also has a good idea with the XML / web scrape.

But as pointed out by Todd, this is not directly supported on Go.

• 6. Re: Import csv on iPad - Filemaker GO
                    rgordon

I do this in a couple of my FMGO solutions.  I use a web viewer to view the .csv.  Then i scrap the data and place it in a variable.  You have to clean the data a little bit to get rid of some of the html.  Then I loop through each line of the variable to build the imported data.

• 7. Re: Import csv on iPad - Filemaker GO
                      laado

Hallo all, thanx for answering.

Solution running alone on iPad (no connection on server) and import data will be every day, from email files.

(... on iPad editing, processing and email sending )

I think, what chance is: copy content from file (clipboard), paste into text field on FMGo and after processing with someway script. What do you think?

• 8. Re: Import csv on iPad - Filemaker GO
                        Mike_Mitchell

Well, that could work if you're willing to do the manual copy-and-paste thing. Assuming your incoming text is consistent.

• 9. Re: Import csv on iPad - Filemaker GO
                          Benjamin Fehr

I think, what chance is: copy content from file (clipboard), paste into text field on FMGo and after processing with someway script. What do you think?

If you get to get that CSV-File into a global container field anyhow, perform export to 'temporary path' (probably the only known path which is predictable on iOS) and perform import from same path could work.

Import AND export script steps are not greyed out in script manager when choosing iOS compatibility!

Yours approach with pasting entire text into a field could work as well. Get familiar with that VirtualList trick:

- 1 Table with Fields 'ID_N°' (serial n°), 'Input' (txt, global), extraction (formula)

- have at least as many records as values you want to get extracted.

- formula for 'Extraction' is kind of: GetBetween OR Element with a parameter "Occurrence", where 'ID_N°' is used as parameter "Occurrence"

This will result in a table where every occurrence is 1 record (1 line OR 1 element OR 1 value)