1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2015 1:38 PM by keywords

GTRR vs Go To Layout

njem

An issue I have open in another thread reminded me to ask something I've been intending to for a while. When is it advantageous to use GTRR vs Go To Layout? I think I've used GTRR once or twice when some peculiar situation forced it, though I can't even remember why, but virtually all I've done in FM has been with GTL, not GTRR.

I'll make table instances, create relationships between them, make layouts based on those instances. Then in scripts I'll got to layout A, find a record, got to related layout B to do stuff to the related records. Layout B is already limited to just the one or more related records by its relationship to A. Doing things that way I've done every common db function without GTRR.

So is it just certain circumstances that GTRR can work where GTL can't because GTRR has parameters that give it flexibility? In circumstances where GTL can work is it six of one, half dozen of the other which way you do it? As seems to be the case?

Thanks,

Tom

• 1. Re: GTRR vs Go To Layout
          BruceHerbach

Tom

GTRR has a lot of uses.  It can be used to look at the specific record

you are on, or the entire record set.

For example if you need to loop through the record set, you can GTRR to

a new window and a blank layout.  then do the work, commit the data and

close the window.   The user may not even know that a new window was opened.

In this case GTRR took the found set with it,  so you just needed to

select the desired layout for the GTRR.  You didn;t have to repeat the find.

HTH

• 2. Re: GTRR vs Go To Layout
            EricMorasch

True, you can get away with only using Go To Layout and Searching.

However, Go To Related Record(s) will be faster ( in most cases ) than Go To Layout and Search.

Also, there are a lot less script steps with Go To Related Record(s).

• 3. Re: GTRR vs Go To Layout
              njem

Bruce, but that's just the point. I never have to repeat the find. If on layout A I find George Unique, then go to layout B that is related and has contact details for people, it will only have details for George Unique when I get there, because I already found for George on A, and B is related to A. I can bounce back and forth between A & B and they will always only have George and his details. For that scenario it seems like GTL and GTRR are the same. No? Or they are the same but GTRR has other uses? Just trying to know why both commands exist. Must be something.

• 4. Re: GTRR vs Go To Layout
                njem

Eric, see my response to Bruce.

Thanks,

Tom

• 5. Re: GTRR vs Go To Layout
                  Malcolm

If on layout A I find George Unique, then go to layout B that is

related and has contact details for people, it will only have details

for George Unique when I get there, because I already found for George

on A, and B is related to A.

This is simply wrong. What you are describing is the function of GTRR.

Go to Layout has no regard for the record you leave nor for the record

your arrive on. In both cases it is the current record in the active

found set.

Malcolm

• 6. Re: GTRR vs Go To Layout
                    Benjamin Fehr

GTRR script serves you already with options as "open in new window" with parameters for windows-size and position and window-title. Options you would have to address with dedicated script-steps if using go-to-layout

• 7. Re: GTRR vs Go To Layout
                      erolst

njem wrote:

Then in scripts I'll got to layout A, find a record, got to related layout B to do stuff to the related records. Layout B is already limited to just the one or more related records by its relationship to A.

That's where your basic misunderstanding lies. A layout by itself isn't filtered or constrained – it's a relationship that points to the TO of this layout that gives you a filter function from the context of a related TO. (Well, what Malcolm said. … ) A simple layout switch will just bring you to that layout/TO/window's current found set. 

(And how would this work anyway? What if the layout's TO is related to multiple other TOs, e.g. a join table? Which parent's found set (or current record) would then determine the found set as a function of a relation?)

• 8. Re: GTRR vs Go To Layout
                        DavidJondreau

I rarely use GTRR. It has no dynamic parameters. You can't set the layout dynamically, it has to be hard coded. It buries it's logic in the step itself, making it hard to see what it's doing without heavy commenting. GTRR requires special attention to error handling (it will produce an error when matching the found set if the current record doesn't have a match even if the other records do) And, contrary to what others have said, it is not faster than doing a find. It actually uses FileMaker's native find under the hood somehow (you can see a find dialog on a slow GTRR).

The only time is when I have a found set and I want to go to related records, matching all. It's slightly more convenient to do GTRR rather than loop through the found set (scripted or a custom function) and collect the IDs, then create a find with those IDs.

• 9. Re: GTRR vs Go To Layout
                          mtwalker

Layout B is already limited to just the one or more related records by its relationship to A.

Not necessarily. For example, if you are on an Invoice and your script uses use Go To Layout to go to the Customer layout, the records there will be whatever was in the found set the last time you were on that layout. You would need to do a find to get to the Customer record for that invoice. GTRR will take you directly to the related Customer record for that invoice.

• 10. Re: GTRR vs Go To Layout
                            gdurniak

That is a surprise

- Try finding all records in B,  then go from A to B again

- are there any script triggers on those layouts ?

- is it possible that both layouts use the same Table ?

greg

> I'll got to layout A, find a record, got to related layout B to do stuff to the related records. Layout B is already limited to just the one or more related records by its relationship to A

• 11. Re: GTRR vs Go To Layout
                              itraining

I am with you David. Since the introduction of the Set Field By Name script step I have dropped GTRR too.

• 12. Re: GTRR vs Go To Layout
                                jbante

For scripted actions that have to modify related records, I don't find myself using either approach any more. Techniques like Selector-Connector and otherwise manipulating data through relationships spares the performance cost of switching layouts and enables transactional processing.

• 13. Re: GTRR vs Go To Layout
                                  mardikennedy
                                  Another +1 on this approach.  Finds are very fast and it can reduce  the relationship graph clutter.
                                  • 14. Re: GTRR vs Go To Layout
                                    njem

I was just being brief. I understand the base table, table instance, relationship, and layout scheme.

1 2 3 Previous Next