7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2016 11:19 AM by SpaceMonkey

action cannot be performed...File not modifiable?

kasenofonte

Hi-- I am hosting 3 databases on my server.  2 of which I created and a third another person.  On the first database, I can go in and make a quick simple change.  On the other database I created, and when the admin for the 3rd database tries to make a simple change we are getting "This action cannot be performed because this file is not modifiable"  What did I forget to do

Thanks

Kathy

• 1. Re: action cannot be performed...File not modifiable?
          arbmoss

I have seen this in Windows when copying a file from a CD.  Go to the file in Windows and select Properties and insure the Read Only box is not checked. 

• 2. Re: action cannot be performed...File not modifiable?
            FileMakerProRocks

Looks like the permissions for some files on your FileMaker server are incorrect.

On your FileMaker Server, you need to:

Pre: Make full bootable clone (SuperDuper), back-up files

1. close the databases on the FileMaker Server

2. close the FileMaker Server admin console

3. drag and copy the folder 'Data' from your folder 'FileMaker Server' (Volume/Library/FileMaker Server) to the desktop

4. copy the 'Data' folder back into the folder 'FileMaker Server'

5. set permissions to 'Data' (and enclosed items) to owner 'fmserver' and group 'fmsadmin'

6. to do step 5, use BatchMod (download from BatChmod)

7. restart

8. test

If anybody knows a better way, please let us know.

BatchMod.png

Permissions.png

• 3. Re: action cannot be performed...File not modifiable?
              Markus Schneider

PErmission issue.

HOw did You install the files in the Server (we're takling about FMS, right?)? With the new interface (introduced with FMS9), I strongly recommend to use the 'upload' function of FMServer (until FMS12) or from a client (FM13). Otherwise, the permissions won't be set correct in every case. Earlier, this was a windows-only issue (FM3..), today it's more a OSX issue.

YOu can set the permissione manually as well - but the easiest way is to use the upload function

• 4. Re: action cannot be performed...File not modifiable?
                kasenofonte

I am on a mac, with a mac mini as the server, I can not upload the database using share, I am trying to work to find out why, in meantime, I put a copy in the database folder on the server, these are the permissions:

initiumserver.jpg

What else do I need?

Thanks

• 5. Re: action cannot be performed...File not modifiable?
                  Markus Schneider

are all files set to read/write for everyone? Looks good, so far.

IF You are running FM13, choose share from the FM client (and write a feature request for adding the old functionality back to have an upload feature _in_ the server admin). The browser should have pop-ups enabeled (worth another feature request..). There might be java issues as well )-:

YOu can also install a FM client on the server machine

• 6. Re: action cannot be performed...File not modifiable?
                    psijmons

Check in the FMSAT if the file is open for Go / Pro as in attachmentScreen Shot 2015-02-07 at 20.10.54.jpg

If there is no bullit, then open the file as host and check the settings for Sharing via:

File menu > Sharing > Share with FM clients

Reset when necessary and upload again to the server.

• 7. Re: action cannot be performed...File not modifiable?
                      SpaceMonkey

Close the DBs in FM Server Admin

Open a terminal window and execute the following:

1. cd /Library/FileMaker\ Server/Data/Databases/
                      2. sudo chmod 666 *.fmp12
                      3. sudo chown fmserver:fmsadmin *.fmp12

sudo will prompt for a password, just enter the login password for your username.

Using the finder 'get information' on the file and confirm that the fmserver and fmsadmin user/group have read/write access to the file

Open the DBs again and as long as the file has the permissions detailed above everything should be back to normal.