Benjamin Fehr

UAC-Conflict when writing Data's in Windows C:/Programs(x86)/

Discussion created by Benjamin Fehr on Feb 7, 2015
Latest reply on Feb 7, 2015 by mtwalker

Some of us (guess who?!) are writing data's and resources for any FMP or Runtime solution on Windows in C:/Programs(x86)/

Problems started out seldom with Vista and constantly with Win 7, when Microsoft changed rules and restrictions for UserAccessControll - UAC.

I have a installer which runs a VB-Script at the end to set entire folder, subfolders and files to 'no write protection' AND All-Access for all Users & Groups:

echo change permissions for %~1

icacls "%~1" /T /grant *S-1-1-0:F > "%~1\setperm.log"

This is a script I ordered from another company. It serves well, mostly. When I run into trouble with this, I'm lost since I have no knowledge about VB-Script at all.

FMI obviously knows how to deal with this: When installing FMP, the FMP-installer writes files into same path, but, as I assume, runs any Shell-Script at the end, whatever, to deal with UAC. Though whatever you do with changing data's inside the FileMaker folder will never cause any UAC-Conflicts or arbitrary writing protections.

Does anybody know how they do?

PS: some might call this the wrong path to write data's, but this mistake is set way back with Windows XP and I can't go back.

Outcomes