5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2017 7:18 AM by mactrek69

Synchronizing two windows to view same record

ellenh

I need to view my data in two different windows, one in list view and the other in a form view. I want to be able to move from one record to another in either window and have the other window move to the same record, in other words, I want the two windows to keep in sync.

Is this possible ?

Thank you.

EllenH

• 1. Re: Synchronizing two windows to view same record
          ellenh

Although viewed 75 times, this post was apparently not in the right place and I have now moved it here (after receiving a message from Mark Baum with instructions).

The question has not been answered, so although I posted it in February, it is still relevant to me.

Hopefully someone will have an idea to help out.

Thanks,

Ellen

• 2. Re: Synchronizing two windows to view same record
            erolst

ellenh wrote:

Hopefully someone will have an idea to help out.

You could use (in both layouts) a script trigger OnRecordLoad that switches windows, goes to the same record (number) you just entered in that first window, then returns to it  – assuming that both windows show the same found set and have the same sort order – which in turn means that you have to mirror any actions that modify said found set / sort order.

An alternative (and one thats's easier to handle) would be to use a portal on the form layout; if you have FM≥13, you can create a summary field “ListOf:” primaryKey, and a calculation field that simply references the summary field; then use that calc field as a match field for a self join – which you then display in the portal. Then all you may have to do is scroll the portal to the correct position.

If you need two distinct windows, you could still use the portal method by creating a layout that displays nothing but the portal, and have a script that uses GtRR to go to the layout and window that is identical to your form layout window.

• 3. Re: Synchronizing two windows to view same record
              ellenh

I'm using FM 13, but I'm not an expert. In fact I'm quite new to it and haven't done anything fancy. I'll have to dig into the documentation to see what a portal is and how to use it.

Previously I was using Panorama which lets you have two views of the same selection of records and moving from one record to another in one view is mirrored in the other. There is nothing to do, it just works that way.

Anyway, if I manage to do something with your suggestion, I'll update this thread.

Thank you.

Ellen

• 4. Re: Synchronizing two windows to view same record
                erolst

ellenh wrote:

Previously I was using Panorama which lets you have two views of the same selection of records and moving from one record to another in one view is mirrored in the other. There is nothing to do, it just works that way.

FileMaker lets you do the exact same thing – if you have a layout in Form view, and another in List view, and both are based on the same table (occurrence), then you can switch between different views, but retaining the found set, simply by using switching the layout – in a single window. (You could of course simply switch between Form and List view on a single layout, but usually you'd have one optimized layout for one respective view.)

But you were specifically asking about two windows, and one benefit of multiple windows in FileMaker is that in the scenario described above, the found set now can be different per window. (Of course, it may not seem a benefit if you want the found sets synchronized … )

• 5. Re: Synchronizing two windows to view same record
                  mactrek69

Hello, I implemented the erolst suggestion, and I can confirm it works very well. A short script and the script trigger OnRecordLoad.

This is my script:

Captura de pantalla 2017-07-19 a las 10.15.12 a.m..png

then use the script trigger

cheers