1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2015 8:32 AM by flybynight

How to most effectively hide items on the interface.

nsmith9110@gmail.com

I'm trying to find the best way to hide things that I don't want to be seen or only want seen conditionally, things like tabs of a tab control and things like that. Any suggestions as to the best or most efficient/effective ways to go about this? Thank you very much!

• 1. Re: How to most effectively hide items on the interface.
          ibrahim_bittar

If you are using FileMaker 13, that feature is built-in.

Screenshot 2015-02-10 13.14.51.png

• 2. Re: How to most effectively hide items on the interface.
            jbrown

Hi.

If you're using FileMaker 13, you can use the "Hide object when" feature found in the data tab of the inspector. It is useful for hiding objects that should be seen in only certain circumstances, like a privilege set is "full access" or others. You can hide practically anything on the layout.

I and others use it to sometimes layer objects and show one thing or the other. In my case, I have a drop down field (Buyer) with a related value list. If that relationship produces "<no values defined >" then I hide that drop down and make a text box visible for them to type in a value for the same field. This allows them to pick a buyer if there's any in the related table, or type in the buyer in.

You can use tab panels with a label with of 0.

You can use Slide panels to hide certain objects (or all objects).

It is wise to evaluate using these as it just as more complexity to the layout and possibly hides objects from you!

• 3. Re: How to most effectively hide items on the interface.
              nsmith9110@gmail.com

I want to be able to do more than the basic "Hide Object When" function allows me to do.

I like the idea of layering objects on the layout to hide objects below them and then make them visible when you want the item below to be seen.

Is there an easy way to get the object to be the same color as the layout so it doesn't look like a random square on the layout?

Or just play around with the color picker?

• 4. Re: How to most effectively hide items on the interface.
                jbrown

You can sample a color on your layout. If you're on a mac, there's a magnifying glass next to the color wheel when you click on a color. Click on that glass and then hover over a part of the layout you want.

What more do you want to do? Can you give a specific use case?

• 5. Re: How to most effectively hide items on the interface.
                  Mike_Mitchell

You may be having difficulty because the theme you're using involves the use of a gradient or image as the background. This is often difficult or impossible to match exactly. Try switching to a theme that uses a solid color, or replace the background with a solid color.

Another technique you can try is to use slide panels or tab controls with hidden tabs and the Go to Object script step to toggle or move between different views in the display area. These can be quite small if needed.

• 6. Re: How to most effectively hide items on the interface.
                    erolst

nsmith9110@gmail.com wrote:

I want to be able to do more than the basic "Hide Object When" function allows me to do.

I like the idea of layering objects on the layout to hide objects below them and then make them visible when you want the item below to be seen.

How does “the basic "Hide Object When"” function not allow you to do that?

Instead of overlaying an object with a swatch of background colour that you then hide, hide/reveal the object itself; same effect, less objects.

• 7. Re: How to most effectively hide items on the interface.
                      Stephen Huston

I agree with EROLST — the built-in Hide When function is the best way to do this for a couple of reasons.

• Stacked objects can fail to render as expected when using WebDirect.
                      • If you use a calc as the basis of the Hide When setting, you can use the exact opposite of that result on the alternate object aligned with it, and only one of them will "exist" onscreen at a time, no stacking effect at all in browse mode, so the order of the objects onscreen won't matter. You can even put the same calc in both and set the appropriate one to
                        "not (your other result here)" to assure which appears.
                        Caution: Find Mode settings can be tricky when you have multiple objects hidden.

• 8. Re: How to most effectively hide items on the interface.
                        erolst

Stephen Huston wrote:

I agree with EROLST

Please don't scream at me …

• 10. Re: How to most effectively hide items on the interface.
                          jbrown

This is exactly what I do. Only one object appears depending on the validity of a relationship. There's never objects layered when rendered, just in layout mode.

I've also learned to put a little flag on each field that is layered, as sort of markers so that I can click on the label titled "VL_Field" (which is under another field) and i can do with it what I want.

Interestingly, you can have multiple Hide when's going on. I currently have a "hide when" on object A. That object A is grouped with Object B. That Group has its own 'hide when' calc. Both "hide whens" work. Obviously if the group is hidden, object A can't show up. When the group is visible, Object A still could be hidden or visible.

• 11. Re: How to most effectively hide items on the interface.
                            Stephen Huston

Jeremy Brown wrote in part:

Interestingly, you can have multiple Hide when's going on. I currently have a "hide when" on object A. That object A is grouped with Object B. That Group has its own 'hide when' calc. Both "hide whens" work. Obviously if the group is hidden, object A can't show up. When the group is visible, Object A still could be hidden or visible.

Quite interesting! I had never tried using separate Hide When calcs by grouping items, but it sounds useful.

I rarely group items manually any more. There was a time back many versions ago when grouped objects caused problems when migrated to the next file format, and I simply quit using the Group options rather than risk a corrupt layout. It became a habit without thinking, though I have not heard of this problem in later version conversions. With the introduction of tabs in v7 and now the popup and slide areas, grouping by placement on such an object has obviated my older needs for most groupings, but this multiple-levels of Hide When sounds like a new reason to use it at times.

• 12. Re: How to most effectively hide items on the interface.
                              electon

Jeremy Brown wrote:

Yes, it's a nice trick I discovered as well. I wish only there was a way to edit "hide when" for individual objects in group since ungrouping removes the top level hide condition. The way it is now requires some planning / tracking.

• 13. Re: How to most effectively hide items on the interface.
                                Mike Duncan

Just keep in mind that for every object that needs to be evaluated to hide or not takes processing power, and can impact the performance of drawing a layout.

It has been suggested to group all objects that need to be hidden in a containing object, like a slider panel with just one panel) and put the hide condition on that.

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 14. Re: How to most effectively hide items on the interface.
                                  keywords

Rather than grouping I have made good use of slide controls, now that they are available. If the Hide condition is applied to the slide control, then everything on that control is hidden/revealed along with the control itself. In a Contacts DB, for example, I want one set of identifier fields (first name, surname, etc) if the contact is a person, but a different set of fields (trading name, registration ID, etc) if the contact is a business entity. By creating two single-panel slide controls and stacking them on top of each other, only the relevant set is shown.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  1 2 Previous Next