9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 2:07 PM by pgsdesign

Where are theme images stored for editing purposes

boxerdog

I am editing a theme (FileMaker Pro Advanced 13.0V5) to bring it in line with our company brand.

I want to keep the look and feel of the theme (Oceana) but make adjustments to the colours used.

The background is an image - repeated. I could just replace the image with a solid colour but I prefer the effect of the image. Just need to change the tone.

The Leading Grand Summary and Leading Sub-summary both use sliced images.

I can build the image files in Photoshop but need to get the specifications of the current images.

I have tried to guess at the dimensions but would rather have an understanding of best practice in creating images for themes.

Any advise would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Where are theme images stored for editing purposes
          schamblee

I would recommend not modifying the themes outside of FMP.  The themes are css and if you open the css file it displays the path, which each theme has a image folder.  The image folder is in the theme  (name of the theme) folder which is in the themes folder.

Again I would recommend not modifying a theme in this manner.   I don't know of any technical information about the size of these images.  If you modify the themes in this manner, be prepared to have to reinstall FMP.

• 2. Re: Where are theme images stored for editing purposes
            Mike_Mitchell

Schamblee's cautions regarding monkeying with the theme structure are quite valid. Instead of modifying the existing theme, I suggest you create the new image, then use the FileMaker interface to place the image in its appropriate location, save the changes to a new theme (again, through the FileMaker interface), and use the new theme in your solution. This will avoid potential damage to the theme system.

HTH

Mike

• 3. Re: Where are theme images stored for editing purposes
              electon

If you're on OSX then you can copy the native theme folder from where it's stored in Filemaker App package to ~/Library/Application Support/FileMaker/Extensions/Themes/, rename it, modify the image and CSS ( at your own risk ) and Filemaker will load it at next application run.

This way it won't mess with the Filemaker App internals because it is stored external of the app.

Matt Petrowsky explains the techniques to get it working in one of his you tube videos. I wish I had a link ready.

• 4. Re: Where are theme images stored for editing purposes
                mtwalker

If you just need the images to use as a template for your own custom images AND you are on Mac, right/control click on the FileMaker app and choose "Show Package Contents". The themes are in Contents > Resources > Themes.

On Windows the themes folder is in the FileMaker application folder. Don't modify the images in any of the theme folders. Create a new theme based off an existing theme and replace any images in that theme with your new ones.

Attached are the images for the Ocean theme. I don't have a Oceana theme.

• 5. Re: Where are theme images stored for editing purposes
                  boxerdog

Thanks for you reply. However I don't want to modify the images themselves but use the specs to create new images and place them via the Inspector panel.

i.e.

I can build the image files in Photoshop but need to get the specifications of the current images.

• 6. Re: Where are theme images stored for editing purposes
                    boxerdog

Thanks for you reply. However I don't want to modify the images themselves but use the specs to create new images and place them via the Inspector panel.

i.e.

• 7. Re: Where are theme images stored for editing purposes
                      boxerdog

i.e.

• 8. Re: Where are theme images stored for editing purposes
                        boxerdog

Thanks Todd  - that is exactly what I need. I do not intend to modify the images or current theme but use the Theme as the basis for a new theme and create new images based on the specs of the existing images. I am on a Mac so all good. Appreciate your assistance.

• 9. Re: Where are theme images stored for editing purposes
                          pgsdesign

If I copy that theme graphic from the Package Contents and just change the header color to a forrest green from the River blue in an image editor and import that image to make a new Default header theme, I can not slice it to match what happens with the default graphic. The slice in the inspector is the same (far as I can tell), but the header does not behave the same. Any ideas? And why can't the slices be placed with precision when precision is definitely needed there? Am I missing something?templateIssue.jpg