9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 8:34 PM by CarlSchwarz

php script call never returns

njem

Our php programmer found the reason for intermittent page failures was because a script call never returned. The pages do lots of other heavy php/FM activity with no failure. This is the only script call, though we'd like to use more. The script is used heavily internally and doesn't get hung up. The first thing the script does is create its own log entry with the parameter it was sent. Looks like the script is starting and logging and has a proper parameter and it looks like it completes its job. The php just never sees any return. Or at least it doesn't intermittently. Any idea what this is? Here's the call:

$bowlerID = $newRecord->getField('Bwl_BowlerID');

$newPerformScript = $fm->newPerformScriptCommand('php_BWL', 'Bowler Donor Sync', $bowlerID);

$resultScript = $newPerformScript->execute();

Thanks,

Tom

• 1. Re: php script call never returns
          Malcolm

Our php programmer found the reason for intermittent page failures was

because a script call never returned. The pages do lots of other heavy

php/FM activity with no failure. This is the only script call, though

we'd like to use more. The script is used heavily internally and

doesn't get hung up. The first thing the script does is create its own

log entry with the parameter it was sent. Looks like the script is

starting and logging and has a proper parameter and it looks like it

completes it the job

Why don't you get the script to log it's completion too? That way you

can be sure it completes, or not.

What do you expect to be returned? The normal result is the found set.

If your script does not leave a found set, or exits with an error, you

will receive an error rather than a record set. It's a different type of

data bundle and has to be handled differently.

malcolm

• 2. Re: php script call never returns
            njem

I'll add logging completion, but I can see it gets to the end of its work.

It isn't intended to have a return value. The script just does internal housekeeping. So the result php gets simply acknowledges the cmd to run the script was received and the script done. It should wait for it to be done so the web page doesn't try to do other stuff affecting data while this script runs. The thing it is periodically just gets no response and the page hangs waiting for that. I would just put that done to an internet communication failure but we don't have any of that problem with the many other calls we do.

• 3. Re: php script call never returns
              Malcolm

Are there any errors showing in the server log?

In one system that I worked on we added an "error" table which stored

all the FM error codes, the FM explanation and our own customised

message. Whenever a script received an error that prevented it from

returning the expected result we used the error code to search the error

table and passed a message as parameter to the record. The web app then

received a positive result, with an error code, and a meaningful message

that pinpointed the code point that generated the error.

malcolm

• 4. Re: php script call never returns
                CarlSchwarz

This isn't an answer to your question, but a suggestion.

If the script is not necessary to the running of the page then why don't you use AJAX to have it called in the background?  The page performance should improve because I've found that calling a script via PHP is a heavy operation regardless of how simple it is (it has to create a virtual user on the server and perform the script which is much heavier than using the PHP API to directly manipulate data).

• 5. Re: php script call never returns
                  njem

I don't know ajax but the php programmer probably does. Interesting to know about the load of calling a script. It seems so simple I assumed it would be easier on the system than calling for a sort or fetching data out of records.

• 6. Re: php script call never returns
                    njem

This didn't seem to post so... I'll add more logging internally and try to get clues out of that, rather than more php code to try to sort it out.

Also more calls are failing and it's looking like internet communication errors.

• 7. Re: php script call never returns
                      Malcolm

It may be time outs, you may want to look at your settings to see if

extending the wait time will fix the problem.

malcol

• 8. Re: php script call never returns
                        njem

Carl, just to be clear what you're saying, calling a script isn't a bigger burden on php, it's a bigger burden on the FM server because of making the virtual user?

• 9. Re: php script call never returns
                          CarlSchwarz

Calling a script on FM Server is slower than doing something directly with PHP.  E.g. using PHP to find a record, then set a value in that record is quicker than doing the equivalent by calling an FM Script on the server, that's because the server creates a virtual user to run the script, so the extra lag is caused by FM Server.