1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2015 1:14 PM by pnelson

PDFs Rotating Upon Insertion into a Container

jprochniak

Hello all.

I have an issue when inserting PDFs into a container in that they're rotated either 90 or 180 degrees upon insertion into their respective container field. The settings on the containers are all set identically to "Reduce image to fit" so there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which PDFs rotate. I've seen one or two posts on this issue but it seems nobody have some up with a concrete solution. Has anybody come upon a fix for this issue?

To no avail I've tried the following:

- Copied a container that does not rotate the PDF and replaced the rotating container with the copied one

- Opened the PDF that rotates, performed a "Save As", and reinserted it

I'm currently utilizing FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced 13.0v5.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

John

• 1. Re: PDFs Rotating Upon Insertion into a Container
          Benjamin Fehr

there are several bug reports on this. One is regarding FMGo (Sept. 2012!), is confirmed by FMI and not resolved yet:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/aebdc4bf32

As TS would reply: I'm unable to replicate …

Though lucky me

We don't know much about FMP behavior when inserting contents into container.

- Is there different behavior when insert via FMP task OR just drag'n drop a file into container?

- does ratio of container-field (width / height) have any influence?

- are PDF's you're using Portrait OR Landscape format?

• 2. Re: PDFs Rotating Upon Insertion into a Container
            GordonShewach

I know this behavior happens with a FileMaker Pro 13 client accessing a FileMaker Server 12 hosted database. Could that be your situation?

Gordon

• 3. Re: PDFs Rotating Upon Insertion into a Container
              jprochniak

In playing with this, the proportions of the container do not make any difference regarding the orientation of the PDF that gets inserted. The one thing that I have noticed seems to make a difference is if the original PDF gets altered in any way (cropping, rotating, etc.). Specifically, a document that I simply scan and drop it into its respective container will orient itself in the direction in which is was scanned. If a document scans in upside down, for example, and I rotate it in Acrobat, the document inserted into the container still remains upside down irrespective of the changes I've made to it. As far as orientation of the document inserted into a container, it's orientation does not appear to make any difference either. Specifically, I've even tried rotating a document to be oriented upside down in Acrobat, thinking that it would be rotated 180 anyway once I insert it into its container field, but alas...it was still upside down upon inserting and was not rotated.

• 4. Re: PDFs Rotating Upon Insertion into a Container
                jprochniak

One more interesting find that I just noticed is that while a PDF may display rotated in its container, when that same document is exported to wherever, it's orientation is correct.

• 5. Re: PDFs Rotating Upon Insertion into a Container
                  Benjamin Fehr

I assume you did the rotation of document in Adobe Professional in order to be able to save changes.

If you open rotated document in the free Adobe Reader, does it show correctly?

You can try same with Apple Preview, instead of Adobe Reader.

If nothing helps, I'ld recommend to have this reported as a bug and let FMI do further investigations.

• 6. Re: PDFs Rotating Upon Insertion into a Container
                    Benjamin Fehr

OK, though the document itself seem to be orientated as set.

I call this a Filemaker bug and suggest to have this reported.

• 7. Re: PDFs Rotating Upon Insertion into a Container
                      keywords

I don't regard it as a FileMaker bug, it has to do with the properties of the pdf document, and how they are treated/read by (a) Acrobat itself and (b) FileMaker. Here is a series of test I ran:

1.     place two instances of a container field on a layout, one optimised for image, the other for interactive

2.     insert a small pdf in a container—file displays as expected in both field instances

3.     open the pdf in Acrobat, rotate it and save it, then insert it into the container again—file displays in its original orientation in the image-optimised field but rotated in the interactive-optimised field instance

4.     open again in Acrobat and save it with a new name, then reinsert—same result as in 3 above

5.     open the pdf in Preview, save it as a png, then open it in Acrobat and save it as a pdf, then reinsert—file now displays in its rotated orientation in both field instances

6.     open the pdf in Acrobat, save it as a png, then open the png in Acrobat and save it as a pdf, then insert this pdf—file displays with its new properties in both field instances

My conclusion from this is that a pdf file that is manipulated in Acrobat retains its original metadata, and that only this is read by FM when displaying it optimised as an image, hence it displays in its original state, but when displaying it optimised for interactive display the further metadata concerning the file manipulation (rotation in this case) is read by FM so that it displays rotated. The process of making saving the file in a different format (in this case png) and then saving that as a pdf breaks the link to its original metadata.

The above is fine for a single-page pdf, but if you use it for a multi-page pdf you will get a png for each page. If I was faced with that, I'd find another way.

I hope that's of some help.

• 8. Re: PDFs Rotating Upon Insertion into a Container
                        jprochniak

Thanks keywords that seemed to do the trick! I was kind of thinking along those lines based on the behavior of the PDF. As far as the whole matter of making the container interactive....no joy. After making the container interactive I was no longer able simply drag and drop the PDF or insert anything into the respective container for whatever reason.

For the benefit of the masses, here's what I did:

1. I opened the PDF in question and saved it in an alternate format, specifically JPEG.

2. I opened the newly created JPEG and exported it as a renamed PDF. Here in-lies the key.....you have to rename the newly exported PDF otherwise, for some reason, the the metadata of the problem file does not get overwritten if you simply replace the previous version.

3. After re-saving and renaming the PDF I was able to drag and drop it into its respective container with the image being oriented correctly.

Thanks for the help everyone...much appreciated!

John

• 9. Re: PDFs Rotating Upon Insertion into a Container
                          jrenfrew

Is there any chance you could post an original PDF that was exhibiting this behaviour, as while you have found an apparent solution you have not necessarily diagnosed the problem at all and therefore do not really have a fix.

There are several reasons why this might be happening and I would be interested to investigate further.

I would be convinced the steps outlined above are not any kind of workable long-time solution.

• 10. Re: PDFs Rotating Upon Insertion into a Container
                            jprochniak

Agreed jrenfrew. Any assist that you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. I'll message you the files.

• 11. Re: PDFs Rotating Upon Insertion into a Container
                              keywords

You are welcome. Re: "After making the container interactive I was no longer able simply drag and drop the PDF or insert anything into the respective container for whatever reason."

I have sometimes come across that behaviour. If you really need to be able to drag and drop into your fields (and if you do, make sure you test and understand the default behaviour this entails) then you can always place a second instance of the field on your layout which is optimised for images, and drop into that.

And as regards: "Here in-lies the key.....you have to rename the newly exported PDF otherwise", I think that is close but not quite right. The key is using the new version of the file—i.e. the process of passing the file through different formats. When you open the jpeg (or in my test, png) in Acrobat it treats it as a brand new file, regardless of the name you subsequently give when you save it as a pdf; if you use the same name the old file version will be completely overwritten.

• 12. Re: PDFs Rotating Upon Insertion into a Container
                                richardsrussell

I raised a similar issue some time ago under the heading "Image Inverts upon Insertion":

Image Inverts upon Insertion

• 13. Re: PDFs Rotating Upon Insertion into a Container
                                  Benjamin Fehr

1. I opened the PDF in question and saved it in an alternate format, specifically JPEG.

I would assume that when save a PDF as a picture (JPEG), all the text will be stored as a picture what makes it impossible to extract text without using any OCR-SW like Readiris, even when converted back into PDF.

A picture file uses more storage than a PDF.

Am I missing something?

• 14. Re: PDFs Rotating Upon Insertion into a Container
                                    keywords

Re: "I would assume that when save a PDF as a picture (JPEG), all the text will be stored as a picture"

—correct. You now have an image of the text, instead of the text, even when it is rested as pdf. That is a big downside of all this.

Re: "A picture file uses more storage than a PDF"

—not necessarily. For example, I have a one-page pdf letter—154kb; convert it to a png—298kb; convert that back to a pdf (text now as image, as noted above)—445kb.

1 2 Previous Next