6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 8:23 AM by erolst

Using Event Management Template and I have a few questions...

jigs

Using Event Management (very cool) but I have two problems:

1) I don't understand how to use the map box (I tried just pasting in the map from google, and 2) I don't understand why so many fields get cut off - shouldn't the text just wrap? Screen cap below:

Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 6.44.10 PM.png

Thanks in advance for your help... I'm a newb.

• 1. Re: Using Event Management Template and I have a few questions...
          erolst

1. The map is a Web Viewer (a quasi web browser), and it uses a Custom Function that calculates a Google map, using values from the current record, and adjusts its size to the size of the Web Viewer object with the object name passed in the function call.

If you don't have FileMaker Pro Advanced, you can use that function, but cannot edit it; on the other hand, you could simply do (about) the same thing by using the pre-defined Google Maps template and passing in fields from the database. (Is that what you meant by “pasting in the map from Google”?)

2. The text does wrap … but you can only see the first line, since that is how the field object is set up (and FileMaker by default does not wrap within a word). Click into the field to see its complete contents.

And no, there is no function to indicate more content (like '[…]”) … but you could use Conditional Formatting to apply a smaller font size when the text exceeds a certain length (Length ( self ) > someNumber (or tweak the layout manually).

• 2. Re: Using Event Management Template and I have a few questions...
            mikebeargie

Your text is being cutoff at the field boundary, that's expected behavior and is there to keep the layout neat and uniform regardless of what data you enter.

There are a few techniques you can use to get around the cutoff point of the field boundary:

1) Use conditional formatting to reduce the font size based on character length, in essence, shrink your data to fit the field.

2) Just make the fields larger to hold the large text.

3) Instead of fields, use merge fields to merge all of your data in a text block. This will slide up, but will not look as nice as the placed field without a lot of work.

The templates are a starting point designed around simple data. You'll need to learn to use the layout tools to change the layouts to meet your needs.

• 3. Re: Using Event Management Template and I have a few questions...
              jigs

Thx Mike, but is it expected to be cut off in reports? Makes no sense to do that. I guess I am used to web tools that just fill a box from the top down, no sweat, you just enter the width. But good point about learning layout tools. That's next!

• 4. Re: Using Event Management Template and I have a few questions...
                jigs

1. The map is a Web Viewer (a quasi web browser), and it uses a Custom Function that calculates a Google map, using values from the current record, and adjusts its size to the size of the Web Viewer object with the object name passed in the function call.

If you don't have FileMaker Pro Advanced, you can use that function, but cannot edit it; on the other hand, you could simply do (about) the same thing by using the pre-defined Google Maps template and passing in fields from the database. (Is that what you meant by “pasting in the map from Google”?)

Ah, it's just not calculating the map, that's what's wrong. And no, I was literally trying to paste in the map. But I see the fields in layout view and understand what it's trying to do. It should be calculating the map from the address entered yes? If so, it's broke. (and I do have Advanced, running on a mac). 

• 5. Re: Using Event Management Template and I have a few questions...
                  mikebeargie

Contents can NOT extend past the boundaries of their field objects, that’s the rule.

You can anchor your field objects so they stretch a bit automatically, or you can make them larger than you need and reduce their size with “sliding” rules in the inspector.

But in the end, however that object is drawn on the screen, the content will not extend past the boundary of that object.

• 6. Re: Using Event Management Template and I have a few questions...
                    erolst

jigs wrote:

I do have Advanced, running on a mac).

Good decision, on both counts!

jigs wrote:

It should be calculating the map from the address entered yes? If so, it's broke.

Since you do have Advanced, you could copy the calculation from the Web Viewer Setup, paste it into the Data Viewer and have it evaluated; then check the result for any weirdness. Adjust the calculation, paste back in and check the resulting map.

You can also go to Layout mode, check View -> Show -> Sample Data to see the calculated Web Viewer URI, rather than the calculation itself.