10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2015 4:38 PM by taylorsharpe

Recommendation for MySQL ODBC driver

Polarpro

Hello,

I wonder if there is a recommendation for a "good" ODBC driver as for MySQL on a Mac. FileMaker seems to suggest Actual Technologies, which would come to USD 399.95 if you want to use it on a FileMaker-Server.

Thanks a lot

:-) Mike

• 1. Re: Recommendation for MySQL ODBC driver
          Mike Duncan

I gather you are using this for ESS integration...you can reference this page for the supported drivers for ESS:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6420

Specific versions depend on your version of FileMaker as well.

Thanks

Mike

• 2. Re: Recommendation for MySQL ODBC driver
            GordonShewach

I've used Actual Technologies' driver and it worked great for several years. Then the manager of the database I was ODBC-ing to changed access permissions to some unusual settings and the driver broke. I worked with Actual Technologies tech support who offered several solutions and ultimately a new driver to fix the problem. Very impressed!

Gordon

• 3. Re: Recommendation for MySQL ODBC driver
              dvaklyes

If you read the Actual Technologies license, you will see that although they label their tiers Personal, Professional, and Server, those are suggested uses only. The critical factor is how many connections do you need (5, 10, or 250 for the three tiers.)

I have their Server Edition on my FileMaker Server driving my web site, as everyone who logs onto my site needs a connection. But my other FileMaker Server is our corporate server and at most needs 10 connections. So I purchased and installed the "Professional Edition" on that server because that is all I required.

I don't work for Actual, and I'm sure they would like everyone to infer that a server needs the Server Edition, but that is not necessarily the case.

I would like to endorse them however. Their drivers are about as close to install and forget as you can get. I first installed the drivers on my server in 2009, and only had one upgrade since then, which was painless.

Dave

• 4. Re: Recommendation for MySQL ODBC driver
                jormond

I haven't tested a lot of them. But of the ones I've tested, that Actual ODBC driver is the only one that has actually allowed a connection. Most other drivers, especially the MySQL ODBC connector doesn't even show as a selection option in FM. Unless I was doing something wrong ( I am a PC guy entering the OS X world ).

• 5. Re: Recommendation for MySQL ODBC driver
                  electon

Some people swear by the Actual ODBC driver and it's the one recommended by FMI.

I'm using the mysql-connector-odbc from MySQL :: Download Connector/ODBC

32-bit for client

64-bit for server

Using the ASCII version of the package.

I need to point out:

Haven't tested it thoroughly for performance yet.

It doesn't play nice with the ODBC Manager on OSX. ( I needed to edit the ODBC.ini file directly to get it to work, but it's not that difficult and there's plenty of info on the web on how to do it. )

• 6. Re: Recommendation for MySQL ODBC driver
                    BowdenData

electon wrote:

It doesn't play nice with the ODBC Manager on OSX. ( I needed to edit the ODBC.ini file directly to get it to work, but it's not that difficult and there's plenty of info on the web on how to do it. )

I have not had this issue. Actual publishes their own version of the ODBC Manager app, which is what I have used with no issues. Are you using this or by change the old version that Apple used to publish? I can't remember off hand, but believe that it is included in the software package from Actual. If not, here is a link.

http://www.odbcmanager.net/index.php

Doug

• 7. Re: Recommendation for MySQL ODBC driver
                      electon

With the Actual Driver or the MySQL one?

I've the ODBC Manager from Actual and the MySQL DSN won't post to ODBC.ini.

Unless I'm doing something wrong and my knowledge is lacking... but it's a simple GUI.

I've found it easier to edit the ini file and then they show up in the Manager and work as well.

• 8. Re: Recommendation for MySQL ODBC driver
                        Polarpro

Hello,

Thank you very  much for your input; in particular for David W Vaklyes pointing out that the "Server edition" ist not a must for server use. I found this here in addition helpful: License information: Mac ODBC connectivity for Mac OS X by Actual Technologies

Thanks again for your posts!

Mike

• 9. Re: Recommendation for MySQL ODBC driver
                          BowdenData

My memory was a little off on this one as I am connecting to a Microsoft SQL Server, not MySQL. It is an older system that has been in use for several years without issues. So, I am using the Actual MS SQL Server driver with their ODBC Manager application to create/manage the DSN for FileMaker.

I would assume that using the Actual products with MySQL should also work without needing to manually edit anything. Just as a reminder, you know that you have to create the DSN in the "system" tab of the ODBC Manager application in order for FileMaker to see/use it?

Doug

• 10. Re: Recommendation for MySQL ODBC driver
                            taylorsharpe

Actual Technologies does a great job and I've used it a lot.  The only frustrating thing is that it is expensive and most ODBC drivers on Windows machines are free or inexpensive.  And keep in mind there are multiple versions at the $399 price.  If you want to connect to MySQL and MS SQL Server, plan on paying for it twice.  Same with Oracle.  FYI, FileMaker works closely with Actual Technologies to make this work.  But this is clearly one reason to go with a Windows Server if cost is an issue.