7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2015 9:35 AM by mtwalker

Are there ISO 9000, CMMI processes in Filemaker Pro  / Go?

FileMakerProRocks

Does anybody know?

In the FileMaker Pro / Go starter solution 'Invoices", are there processes such as:

ISO 9000, CMMI, methods, tools (e.g., IDEs, compilers), techniques, etc. used to produce and transform the solution?

Any valid information would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Are there ISO 9000, CMMI processes in Filemaker Pro  / Go?
          schamblee

The starter solution is a sample database, to get  users familiar with Filemaker Pro, it doesn't have any certification.  You can modify the solution in Filemaker Pro.  You can design layouts, create scripts, add third party plug-ins and buttons.  It's is a very powerful databases and yes you can enable security on the database.  You can not create database in FM Go.  FM Go  is use to run the database on ios devices or connect to a database being hosted.  You can create runtimes with Filemaker Pro but they are limited and the runtime is not like other runtimes made with other programming languages.  Runtimes in Filemaker are pretty much useless. The runtimes are not networkable, they are only stand alone.  The runtimes does not compile the database, the database can still be open in Filemaker Pro and access will only be limited by the security you or the developer setup in the database.  For a shareable solution each user will need FMP and depending on the number of client Filemaker server may be required.  If you have more than 5 concurrent users (more than 5 users connected at one time) then you will need Filemaker server.

• 2. Re: Are there ISO 9000, CMMI processes in Filemaker Pro  / Go?
            FileMakerProRocks

Thanks. Are you able to answer this question short and to the point? If not, don't bother.

In the FileMaker Pro / Go starter solution 'Invoices", are there processes such as:

ISO 9000, CMMI, methods, tools (e.g., IDEs, compilers), techniques, etc. used to produce and transform the solution?

• 3. Re: Are there ISO 9000, CMMI processes in Filemaker Pro  / Go?
              schamblee

I answer those questions in my first post.  ISO 9000 and CMMI is a certification by a 3rd party and as I stated in my first post there is not any for the starter solutions.  It would be pointless, they are sample databases.   FMPro is a tool and yes you can modify the starter solution in FMPro as I stated in my first post.  As I also stated in my first post the complier in FMPro is not really a compiler, it will create a runtime but it does not compile the database.  As I stated in my first post you can buy 3rd party plug-in (tools) to add produce and transform your database. You can create your own techniques to produce and transform your solution with scripts, buttons and additional layouts, just as I stated in my first post.  There are databases created by other companies that may have the type certification you are referring too, but as I have already stated that information would be for the company that created that database.   Filemaker is a tool to create databases.

• 4. Re: Are there ISO 9000, CMMI processes in Filemaker Pro  / Go?
                jrenfrew

Some one got out of bed the wrong side....

Two questions and two slap downs in as many hours. That's a surefire way to get help around here.

Perhaps if you asked a clear question it would be possible to provide you with answers or a place to look for answers.

You question is distinctly unclear, as, for example, ISO9000 is not a process that you apply but a standard against which your process are measured and assessed, and the family of standards loosely referred to ISO 9000 help companies effectively document the elements they need to maintain an efficient quality system

So

Can FileMaker be used as part of a system you write that effectively documents a quality system. Absolutely. Lots of people here will have done that.

Do you mean, does FileMaker use ISO9000 in the creation of the software, then you will have to ask them.

Other than that, there is no way to guess what is in your head when you ask such a question. Consider the effectiveness of clarity here.

• 5. Re: Are there ISO 9000, CMMI processes in Filemaker Pro  / Go?
                  Markus Schneider

schamblee and jrenfrew gave the correct answers - schamblee in both of Your postings. When reading Your other posting with a lot of detailed questions, I got the impression that answering should be done by a paid developer, one who is independent and has a knowledge of several common database systems (including the current FileMaker version), operating systems, ISO 9x - and other processes, Your solution/needs, etc.

I personally can't spend a free saturday for writing answers that might not be really helpful at the end ;-)

WIthout having all of Your questions from posting #1 in details in my memory, some of them can be answered with 'Yes' (depending on a FileMaker based solution!), others might need a plugin (that allready exists), some have to be answered by FileMaker Inc. etc.

Means: Without knowing more details (or Your project/solution with some spec's), Your questions can not be answered..

WE got customers who are running FileMaker solutions and who are certified by ISO 9x and other certificates. But only part of those processes depend (might depend..) on FileMaker as a database system - all the rest depends on the solution itself and its methods/functions - AND other factors that have nothing to do with FileMaker.

Since You are reffering to an example solution for first-time-users: That one must have leaks, otherwise it would not serve as an example db...

YOu can leave Your money in a public restaurant or in a bank... depending on several factors, the restaurant might be a saver place (ie how much money, personal guards, a save, etc)

• 6. Re: Are there ISO 9000, CMMI processes in Filemaker Pro  / Go?
                    woytovich

To answer your questions in order:

Are there ISO 9000, CMMI processes in Filemaker Pro  / Go?

No.

Does anybody know?

Yes.

No.

• 7. Re: Are there ISO 9000, CMMI processes in Filemaker Pro  / Go?
                      mtwalker

FileMakerRocks wrote:

Does anybody know?

Any valid information would be appreciated.

No, but a skilled developer could implement them.