1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2015 9:22 AM by mark_scott

Is it possible to set transparency with type color?

jgalt

• 1. Re: Is it possible to set transparency with type color?
          mikebeargie

What/why are you asking?

There is a "no color" option for font color that you can set as default. You could set it to a visible color via conditional formatting for your needs after that.

I assume you might be referring to TextColor(), which only takes a valid RGB value, and can not make something transparent.

There is also the "hide object when" calc in 13 that could be used for these purposes.

Also, you could use TextColor() to add color to a transparent selection, and then TextColorRemove() would remove the added color defaulting back to transparent. If you didn't want to use conditional formatting.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to set transparency with type color?
            siplus

If you want to set a font's color to something like RGB (200;10;10) but 50% transparent, you're out of luck, it's not possible.

It is possible with other objects, like a rectangle.

• 3. Re: Is it possible to set transparency with type color?
              jgalt

siplus wrote:

If you want to set a font's color to something like RGB (200;10;10) but 50% transparent, you're out of luck, it's not possible.

That's what I was afraid of. Arghhhh!

Why on earth would they implement transparency on everything but type?

This creates a huge amount of extra work because instead of being able to use an icon font...now I will have to create 4 separate raster graphics for every icon that I use in my interface (100% White, 50% White, 25% White, 50% Black). And then if I want to make a color or opacity change...all of the graphics must be regenerated again and remapped to the buttons. Ugh!

This short (and funny) video explains the problems and limitations of using graphics instead of an icon font: Create your Icon Font in seconds - 9000 Vector Icons Available - Free Icon Font Generator

• 4. Re: Is it possible to set transparency with type color?
                jgalt

Mike Beargie wrote:

What/why are you asking?

There is a "no color" option for font color that you can set as default. You could set it to a visible color via conditional formatting for your needs after that.

Thanks, I understand what you you are suggesting but I am not trying to hide the text. I want the text to be a percentage of opacity. For example, 50% white. The text is being placed on a background that is not a solid color, so being able to use transparent text would solve a lot of problems for me.

• 5. Re: Is it possible to set transparency with type color?
                  mikebeargie

Personally I find too much iconography hinders a file rather than helps it.

If it’s “a lot of problems” for you, you might want to rethink your design a bit.

• 6. Re: Is it possible to set transparency with type color?
                    mark_scott

Enjoyed the Fontastic video, jgalt.  Definitely funny!

If the transparency issue had not come up as a roadblock for you, how were you going to incorporate a custom icon font into your FM solution, if I may ask?

Mark

• 7. Re: Is it possible to set transparency with type color?
                      jgalt

Mike Beargie wrote:

Personally I find too much iconography hinders a file rather than helps it.

It's all about having the right amount of visual separation between the content and the GUI. If your layout is heavy with text then using icons will help reduce some of the visual clutter.

• 8. Re: Is it possible to set transparency with type color?
                        jgalt

Mark Scott wrote:

Enjoyed the Fontastic video, jgalt.  Definitely funny!

If the transparency issue had not come up as a roadblock for you, how were you going to incorporate a custom icon font into your FM solution, if I may ask?

Yes, I thought that it was a very entertaining video.

I was hoping to use an icon font on all of my buttons (search, chat, inbox, etc.).

My buttons are currently transparent graphics files because the background color of my layout changes depending on the type of document that the user is working on. So for example, if I use a 50% transparent black button on a tan background the button will look dark brown. If I change the background to light blue the buttons will look dark blue.

Here is a screen capture:

16684999546_b48ac7e7ec_o.png

The benefits of using the icon font is that it greatly speeds up production time and it's much easier to make changes. You also do not have to worry about resolution issues on retina devices or when resizing buttons because the icon font is resolution independent. You could also probably do some cool things with dynamic buttons in portals that I don't think that you can do with graphics in a portal container.

The downside is that you lose transparency as an option. You also have to install the icon font on the client computer, iPad or iPhone or the interface will be unusable. And there are probably others.

• 9. Re: Is it possible to set transparency with type color?
                          mark_scott

jgalt wrote:

You also have to install the icon font on the client computer, iPad or iPhone or the interface will be unusable.

Thanks.  That's what I was getting at with my question — not a small issue, in many cases.  Agree with the potential benefits; perhaps some future version of FM will allow font embedding in themes.

Best of luck with your design; it looks attractive and clean.

Mark

• 10. Re: Is it possible to set transparency with type color?
                            jgalt

Thanks Mark.

The ability to embed fonts would be a huge leap forward for interface design. When I see my solutions on Windows I just want to shoot myself. FileMaker does some cool stuff but it's frustrating to be hamstrung by the limitations of their half-baked CSS implementation. It would be great if they would pick up the pace and get us caught up with the latest web dev technology.

• 11. Re: Is it possible to set transparency with type color?
                              Markus Schneider

WE got the second version of FileMaker that uses css in layouts. When comparing the first css-version (FM12) with the second one (FM13), there are quite a lot of things that we are now able to do - but not all..

I do not know anything about an upcoming version of FileMaker - but chances are good that there are enhancements in css. A feature request is always a good idea - although will be too late for the next version

I personally would love to use transparency in text!

• 12. Re: Is it possible to set transparency with type color?
                                user19752

You can set background of text to transparent, isn't this enough for the purpose?

• 13. Re: Is it possible to set transparency with type color?
                                  jgalt

I am not sure what you mean. I want the text to be semi-transparent. For example, 50% white so you can see the background through the text.

• 14. Re: Is it possible to set transparency with type color?
                                    keywords

See the post above by siplus. There is no opacity setting for text.

1 2 Previous Next