try the following:
- duplicate the field on the layout, set its control style to edit box.
- find all records.
- enter this field and do a Replace field contents, calculated result, in the formula select the field itself (so you are replacing the field contents with its contents).
Check if the problem records still have the problem.
Thanks for the suggestion - it made no difference. The problem records still show the key value, not the text value. If I place the related text field elsewhere on the layout, it shows correctly, which (to my mind at least) confirms that the key is valid?
Well, further digging has moved my investigation along a bit. It seems that the value list, on which the field depends, does not contain ALL the values from the table (despite the "include all values" setting being selected). So although the key in the problem records is valid, i.e. it exists in the related TABLE, it is not in the value list which is based on that table. Hence the field not displaying the text value from the value list - because it's not IN the value list.
This is really perplexing me.
I have encountered this issue too.
Issue #1 was the value list record had been deleted so the ID in the field did not have a matching record in the value list table
Issue #2 the value list field (the 2nd field) was changed to an unstored calculation and could no longer be used
Issue #3 is an unpredictable and inconsistent refresh issue. Refreshing the window eventually forces the data (2nd field) to display. Sometimes the record and value list displays correctly, other times it only displays the ID. Recently I purchased FM Calendar ()http://www.fmcalendar.net/ and my first use revealed a pop-up menu with the UUID showing but the data in the 2nd field missing. A refresh resolved the issue.
Issue #3 remains unresolved for me.
One probability is, if your text is not unique, key in value list is only one of them.
make value list that have one value.
Thanks Michael - it seems that in my case it's #3 - I need to find a workaround, as, although it's only an interface issue, it's very confusing for the poor user!
Thanks - I'll double check.
It is quite a long time that you posted here but, as I was working on the same issue, I found something interesting. When I have duplicated value on second field displayed, the value list is not full populated with all records. So, I solved the problem changing a few duplicated records on the related table and setting second field to Unique Value.
4 of 4 people found this helpful
I've found that in FileMaker Pro Advanced 15, changing the field from popover to edit box and back usually fixes the problem. Sometimes deleting the value list and making a new one also works.
3 of 3 people found this helpful
After searching for a solution for this issue, I can also confirm in my case that changing the popup field to edit box, then saving the layout, then changing back to popup field seemed to correct the problem in FileMaker 15.
4 of 4 people found this helpful
A reminder the behaviour has been changed in FileMaker Pro/Advanced 15:
"Value lists displayed in pop-up menus – If you define a value list to show values from a second field, a field formatted as a pop-up menu now displays only the value from the first field and applies the data formatting for that field when the pop-up menu is closed. (This is the same behavior as for drop-down lists.) To display the value from the value list and ignore data formatting, select the new Override data formatting with value list Inspector option."
Hope this helps.
I periodically have this problem and always forget how I solved it. Thanks for the post.
My issue was changing a Dropdown to a Popup. I think it may still keep some of the Dropdown formatting in there. By saving as an Edit Box then as a Popup you are basically resetting everything. At least that is what it seems like to me.
Yes. This fixed it. THANKS.