1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 5, 2015 8:45 AM by mikebeargie

Import from A to B on IOS device

I decided to try importing from one file into another stored locally on an iPad Mini. No connection to remote file.

The import worked well once or twice and then it crashed with a damaged file as the result.

I created the import script in FileMaker Pro with both files in the same folder. Then copied both to the iPad using iTunes. TOs will retain their relationships when files are moved in pairs.

Is this the typical result of importing with both files on the Go device?

I see in the Help file that Go is only partialy supported and this statement:

FileMaker Go only supports importing from one FileMaker Pro file to another FileMaker Pro file.

So, I assume that means on importing using a hosted file using FileMaker Pro as the host for both? That I get to work OK.

If Go will attempt the import using both files on the Go device but then crash because it isn't meant to, then FileMaker needs to do a little work to prevent this import attempt using GO.

• 1. Re: Import from A to B on IOS device
          mikebeargie

You can import from one .fmp12 file to another on FMGo itself, or you can import from a remote hosted .fmp12 source as well. I always try to make sure that the local file I am importing from is closed via a close file script step before I start importing to the target file.

Filemaker Go does have a memory limit that can cause memory-heavy script actions to crash. I ran into this with large sets of data when testing FMEasySync (note that does not use import actions). Not sure if you ran into that here.

What's your goal of importing? Is there some other way to meet your goal?