1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 1:48 PM by ariley

Running two instances of Pro Advanced on OS X

BruceHerbach

I was working on a system today and wanted to test the setup for a specific group of users while being logged in as a full access developer.  In short I wanted to run two instances of FileMaker Pro advanced at the same time on one MacBook Pro.  I remembered seeing something about this a while back but couldn't find it here.   So after a quick internet search I was able to find a way of doing this and thought others might find this helpful.   In the past,  I would fire up Parallels and run Pro advanced on a virtual windows system.  I had to use a second license for this.

A big plus with this method is that I'm running two instances of the same copy of FileMaker Pro Advanced on the same computer, so my development server see's it as one use of the license and doesn't kick me out.

To do this do the following:

Open terminal.app  You will find this in Applications/Utilities

enter the command

open -n -a /Applications/FileMaker\ Pro\ 13\ Advanced/FileMaker\ Pro\ Advanced.app/

That's it.  The source for this came from:

How to open multiple instances of an application in OS X - CNET

Enjoy

• 1. Re: Running two instances of Pro Advanced on OS X
          ByteTheBullet

Cool. Thanks for this- I can certainly see some useful cases for running multiple instances of FileMaker on a single computer.

• 2. Re: Running two instances of Pro Advanced on OS X
            Benjamin Fehr

I'll strongly recommend doing backup before open multiple instances.

As that CNET-Article states:

"In these cases, rules and routines in one could conflict with those in the other and result in odd handling of your data.

Finally, in OS X Lion and Mountain Lion, Apple has implemented autosave and resume features that are intended for use with one instance of a program."

• 3. Re: Running two instances of Pro Advanced on OS X
              BruceHerbach

I don't think this applies to the way I am using this.  The database itself is hosted on a development server.  So the rules for commit and updating layouts apply the same here as they do when opening the database from two computers.  Also when I'm developing,  I don't let the computer go to sleep.

What might be a problem,  would be to change FileMaker's preferences... settings.  Here,  I'm affecting the way FileMaker Pro Advanced functions.  So changing these while two instances of the program are running could cause a problem.  At the least a change written by one instance may not show up in the second or may be over written if the other copy is closed first.

The other issue when doing this could be changing database structure.  While both 12 and 13 are more resilient in this regard then earlier versions,  going into Manage Database and making changes while the database is open on two instances could cause a problem.  So the developer me should take this into account and close the second instance before making structure changes.

In my case,  I'm working on navigation scripts and layouts.  I'm not going into structure at all.  Instead,  the second instance has a test user logged in and I want to confirm that users in their group are seeing the correct buttons and layouts as they go through the system.  The first instance is updating the scripts and tweaking the layouts.

One last thought on this,  the article states that "Unix-like underpinnings of the OS".  I think, starting with OS X 10.5,  OS X became a certified version of Unix and not Unix like.  In a prior incarnation,  I did a lot of work on Unix systems and way back then it fully supported running multiple independent instances of programs. 

• 4. Re: Running two instances of Pro Advanced on OS X
                Benjamin Fehr

sounds save.

I have a FMP13 and a FMPA13 license installed for testings. Even using FM13 AND FM12 works.

Sure, new functions in FM13 won't show in FM 12.

btw, it's astonishing how much copy/paste performances work between FM11 and FM13. Very helpful when needing only parts of a FM11 solution in FM13

• 5. Re: Running two instances of Pro Advanced on OS X
                  bigtom

I have plenty of licenses and I simply rename the first folder in Applications to "-2" and install another whole instance of the application. I think this works better.

• 6. Re: Running two instances of Pro Advanced on OS X
                    BruceHerbach

I have multiple Pro Advanced 13 licenses, but no Pro.  I prefer working on the Mac so was trying to avoid running parallels and windows 7.  So this worked.

In this case I'm testing a system that uses 13 features so my copy of 12 Advanced won't do.

So far this seems to work well.  You mileage may vary.

• 7. Re: Running two instances of Pro Advanced on OS X
                      BruceHerbach

So if understand this correctly,  you rename the Applications/FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced/   folder to be

Applications/FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced-2/

and then run the Installer,  and it installs a new version in the Applications/FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced/ and you give it a difference license key?

How do you update the second copy?

• 8. Re: Running two instances of Pro Advanced on OS X
                        sporobolus

On 2015-03-11 19:43 , Bruce Herbach wrote

So if understand this correctly,  you rename the Applications/FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced/   folder to be

Applications/FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced-2/

and then run the Installer,  and it installs a new version in the Applications/FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced/ and you give it a difference license key?

as i understand it, there's only one place to store a license key per

machine; it would probably work identically to simply duplicate the FMP13A

folder, rather than run the installer again

• 9. Re: Running two instances of Pro Advanced on OS X
                          bigtom

I have installed two instances of Advanced on one machine in this way using different keys without any issue that I have noticed.

For updates I have just gone through folder renaming to get everything updated with the updater. There seem to be a few ways to do this and they all seem to work.

• 10. Re: Running two instances of Pro Advanced on OS X
                            Benjamin Fehr

if bigtomtrick works, this could proof that the license key is written somewhere inside the FMP application folder. Otherwise, one key would overwrite the previous key though same key would appear for both installations to cause a license conflict.

• 11. Re: Running two instances of Pro Advanced on OS X
                              BruceHerbach

I'm not sure that the license key matters in this case, since FMS looks at it as one license per system.  Which is why it accepted the connections from the two separate processes on my MacBook Pro.

This is not the case when running parallels and windows. If the same license key is used on both the OS x and windows copies of fmadvanced FMS does kick you out. 

Sent from my mobile device... Please excuse typos.

• 12. Re: Running two instances of Pro Advanced on OS X
                                Benjamin Fehr

sorry, I got this wrong:

I was talking about FMP/FMPA.

FM Server might behave differently.

• 13. Re: Running two instances of Pro Advanced on OS X
                                  Markus Schneider

AS a developer / FBA member, You can have a site licence on a really fair price-base. We got this licence - and I got two installs of FMP Adv on my Mac, the second one is labeled (a folder) as '...Advanced2'

• 14. Re: Running two instances of Pro Advanced on OS X
                                    BruceHerbach

I see.  I only have FMPA licenses.   I could download a 30 day trial,  but I don't want to pay for an FMP license for testing.  So for the moment,  I'll stick with this method of running two instances of FMPA or run Parallels and use my second license key installed on Windows 7.

I'm going to try the two folder setup and see how that goes.  It has the added convenience of putting a shortcut on my desktop and not having to start a terminal session.

1 2 Previous Next