4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2015 9:09 AM by HammerOz

Is a server backup to NAS with Automator a good approach?

HammerOz

My FMS13 (MAC 10.10) server backup steps are:

• Server backup to default location ( Daily, weekly , monthly copies etc )
      • Scheduled mac automator task to copy backup to NAS Daily Backup FileMaker Server to a Remote Drive
      • NAS backup to Amazon Glacier for offsite

I assume there is file integrity risk if FMS server's schedule were to clash with the automator task so I have them well apart.

Is this a fair approach for my home office environment ?

Thanks in advance

Hamish

• 1. Re: Is a server backup to NAS with Automator a good approach?
          Markus Schneider

take care that Your backup script does not copy any files in use - just copy the backups from FMS. If Your backup doesn't run at the same time (should run after the FMS backups..) as the FMS backups, it seems save

I personally don't use automator, I have a sync-app - but it does quite the same

• 2. Re: Is a server backup to NAS with Automator a good approach?
            twelvetens

I'd avoid using automator altogether.

In practice I tend to:

- Backup to local store on FMS machine

- Schedule a system level script within FMS Admin to run periodically to copy the backup files off to another location via rsync, ftp, or whatever. This gives the benefit of being able to manage everything within Filemaker Server Admin Console, with notifications etc.

• 3. Re: Is a server backup to NAS with Automator a good approach?
              CarstenLevin

If your Automator script is not running at the same time as the FileMaker backup and is not taking any files being used by the FileMaker Server at the moment, then it is OK.

One issue though: You need to know a few things:

• Did the FileMaker backup schedule run ... so that you are actually taking offsite copies of recent files?
              • Are the files OK: Let FileMaker Server verify the backup files (setup in schedule).
              • Did your Automator script run and succeed.

The first two controls can be done by letting FileMaker send you emails confirming that the backup schedule did run and that the files are OK.

The last one you need to set up with automator or some other tool.

And ... are you aware that the FileMaker Server script schedule setup allows you to let it run a system script after the schedule?
              Consider letting this script move your files to an offsite destination.

• 4. Re: Is a server backup to NAS with Automator a good approach?
                HammerOz

Thanks James. I should should have looked at server for the backup task solution and will.