6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2015 2:49 PM by disabled_jackrodgers

Portal Scrolling on Windows 8

sastickf

I have a layout with a portal of related data.  The layout works good on iOS devices such that the portal will scroll with a finger swipe.  When you try to scroll the portal on a Windows 8 touchscreen computer, the entire window tries to scroll instead of just the portal and the user is forced to use the up/down arrows to the right of the portal.... which is very clumsy.  Is there a setting I can change to prevent the entire window from trying to scroll?

• 1. Re: Portal Scrolling on Windows 8
          mark_baum

Hi Sarah,

I haven't had any experience using FileMaker Pro with a Windows 8 touchscreen, but I will see what I can learn and get back to you again.

For now, my first question is whether your layout is appropriately sized for the display area of that device. Are you viewing it in Form View? In List View and Form View, I would expect it to scroll -- at least potentially.

Hope this helps -- a little --

Mark

• 2. Re: Portal Scrolling on Windows 8
            mark_baum

I've looked into this some more, and it turns out that this is a known issue that we are working to resolve.m It's possible that you might be able to get the portal to scroll by using a pinch gesture -- let me know if that works for you. If not, then directly working with the scrollbar is the way to go, as you've already noted.

• 3. Re: Portal Scrolling on Windows 8
              sastickf

Hello Mark,

I really appreciate your help regarding this.... it sounds like I will have to be patient.  I tried to find if it was a known issue, but must have been looking in the wrong places.  Can you point me to it?

Thank you,

Sarah

• 4. Re: Portal Scrolling on Windows 8
                mark_baum

Hi Sarah, I'm new to responding in the FileMaker Community, so I'm not yet clear about what I can point you to or not (I found the issue report in an internal system). But I can tell you that we are working on it. Thanks for your patience! Mark

• 5. Re: Portal Scrolling on Windows 8
                  sastickf

I had looked for a list of items that are incompatible with Windows 8, but if it is an internal list, I can't see that.  I'm just glad to hear that the issue is being addressed.  Thank you.

• 6. Re: Portal Scrolling on Windows 8

Doesn't work for me either.

Since this is 13 v5 this may remain a problem and hopefully fixed in 14.

Maybe Apple doesn't want competition from the Surface tablet running FileMaker Pro instead of GO? Nah, that's just a joke.

You might try creating a new user account and opening your file from there just to be sure it isn't a problem with the computer system, memory, etc. I doubt that will work.